Profile for paulaibbotson > Reviews

VHS
Offered by stephensmith_426
Price: 11.40

4.0 out of 5 stars one, twhoo, feee, 25 Oct 2002
Yes, my little guy is at last starting to vigourously count everything! "If Barney does it, it must be ok" says his logic. Though I don't advocate parking children in front of TV sets, I think Barney is an excellent interactive tool that generally promotes values we would like our kids to pick up on ... As for this video in particular, it seemed to do the trick!

Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love, Birth to Age Three
Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love, Birth to Age Three
by Linda P Acredolo

2.0 out of 5 stars No great revelations here ..., 25 Oct 2002
For anyone that reads parental magazines even in the waiting room of the doctor's clinic, most will have seen this information before:
Love your baby, stimulate her, talk to her and read to her.
Pretty common sense for any even vaguely engaged parent. As well, I assume that if parents are out there making the attempt to read up on child development, most of what is here will not come as a surprise. A perfectly fine book to borrow from the public library, but I would not again seek to add it to the family collection.

The Blind Assassin
The Blind Assassin
by Margaret Atwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A book, within a book, within a book!, 25 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Blind Assassin (Hardcover)
Atwood does it again! The reader is introduced to Iris, an elderly Canadian woman who tells the tale of her childhood with sister Laura (who is later found to have written a book prior to her untimely suicide). Through Laura's novel the reader is transported to the land of the "Blind Assasin" and through Iris' narration, one is transported back and forth between Iris' youth and her later mature live. For a reader that enjoys reading a few books at the same time, this novel is certainly an "all in one!" A must read for any Atwood fan! Though this is not her personal best, as she is such a marvelous writer, it is still a great book.

Possession: A Romance
Possession: A Romance
by A S Byatt
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A mysterious love story involving dead poets ... but a MUST!, 7 Sep 2002
This review is from: Possession: A Romance (Paperback)
AS Byatt has really created a Masterpiece with this publication. It is however for the real literary bug and can be a bit heavy at times.
Yes, it is a five star novel, however I have given it a four in terms of the accessibility of this book for the general reader. I read it for my Book Club; but I must say that most of the members did not make it half way through and the ones that did were generally real literature buffs. Just a heads up for those looking for a "light read".
With that said, I have never read a book more entrancing in terms of the mystery of the loving affair between two poets of a long gone era. As well, the insights into the intrigue involved with the trade of antique literature spurred us to take up reading Club Dumas by Arturo Peres-Reverte.
Plan to set aside some time every evening to enjoy the pure literary flavours of this novel cuisine!

The Nanny Diaries : A Novel
The Nanny Diaries : A Novel
by Nicola Kraus
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Babysitting Blues ..., 7 Sep 2002
Though now that I have my own children and hope that anyone that comes into my home would paint a better picture of me than the parents in this book, I could not help but love this witty little tale! Nanny loves little Grover probably more than anyone else, but she is paid to do so ... or does she get paid? This book is for all the Au Pairs, all the nannies and all the babysitters that fell in love with the children they looked after, so much so that they felt they could do better!!
Now the next book I would really like to read would be the tales of Nanny's future nanny! Just kidding.

Our Peaceable Kingdom: The Photographs of John Drysdale
Our Peaceable Kingdom: The Photographs of John Drysdale
by John Drysdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 7 Sep 2002
John Drysdale's experience and photographic expertise provide us with a beautiful tribute to his years of work in Africa. He immortalises the children and animals he captures in the most unique of poses.
I love this book and have bought extra copies for many of my family members and friends. A must for any collector of unique photographic art!

Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
by Geraldine Brooks
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Objective insights into women behind the veil, 7 Sep 2002
I have spent time in the Middle East and been offered books such as "Princess" and "Not Without My Daughter" by Western friends positive that the Middle East must be a terrible place for Western women ... It was very enlightening, refreshing, interesting and thought provoking to read a book from an author with such a wealth of experience and such a desire to learn, to understand and not just to brandish and judge. She writes of movements happening within the culture and not just of stagnated ways. Koranic verses are used as a backdrop for understanding that what some may interpret as Islamic is mearly that, an interpretation. I highly enjoyed this book. I will read it again. And I will definately recommend it to anyone interested enough to understand some of the different perspectives governing women behind the veil!