Profile for Cease > Reviews

Cease

Borrowed By The Beatles
Borrowed By The Beatles
Price: 5.17

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love your early Beatles, you gotta have this originals compilation of songs they covered !!!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Borrowed By The Beatles (Audio CD)
Brilliant !!! 50 songs covered by The Beatles in their most exciting early years. This compilation of original recordings is essential for fans of the Fab Four, and lovers of rock n roll, vintage r & b, Motown and rockabilly. And it's currently being sold for a fiver? That's a steal !!!

Highlights include the two amazing Arthur Alexander tracks, plus The Marvelettes "Please, Mister Postman" - with that marvellous lead vocal. And The Shirelles "Baby It's You" ...Wow !!!

Then there's Buddy Holly's "Mailman Bring Me No More Blues". Plus you get a whole lotta Carl Perkins, Johnny Burnette, Eddie Cochran, the King, the Killer, Chuck Berry, and a whole host of rarities that would cost an arm and a leg to collect bit by bit.

Again, if you love your early Beatles... you gotta have this !

DISC ONE

Approximately Infinite Universe
Approximately Infinite Universe
Price: 21.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Genius Onoverse, 3 April 2014
Okay, so I'm a massive Beatles and John fan. But I think I might love this double album by Yoko as much as any of their albums. I really consider this to be one of my favourite albums of all time.

A fabulous array of songs throughout, AIU succesfully explores artistic territory few other albums attempt. Yoko's singing and trademark melodies are both sublime and awe-inspiring. And the songs range from space-rock to proto-punk/new wave to junkie torch songs, feminist stomps, suicide ballads, hopes and prayers, and beyond. There's heart, humour and thoughtfulness here. It's a fantastic listen all the way through, and stands the test of time for sure.

For context, this was recorded during the autumn months of 1972 during, and just after, Nixon's re-election campaign. At a party on the night of the victory of this great foe of John and Yoko, Lennon got drunk and basically committed adultery right in front of Ono. Something to consider when listening to some of what this super-woman is saying.

The musicianship - by Elephants Memory plus Lennon - is top notch, as is the J&Y production. ...And let's not forget that Yoko is a pianist (as was her father), so it's not as though she is just tagging her lyrics onto the musical ideas of the players. These are her songs. But kudos to the band, as they contribute greatly to the arrangements I'm sure. And for guitar-nuts, there's a whole lotta great fret-work from Tex and John.

I have no hesitation giving this album 5 stars. Anyone who loves great 60s and 70s music should at least check this out... and the equally amazing follow-up, "Feeling The Space".

Ted Nugent -Ultralive Ballisticrock [DVD] [2013]
Ted Nugent -Ultralive Ballisticrock [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Ted Nugent
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Gonzoid Man, 18 Dec 2013
If, like me, you're mainly into classic 70s Nuge then here's some reasons you should purchase this.

1. The legendary Derek St Holmes sings lots of songs, including Dog Eat Dog, Stranglehold & Just What The Doctor Ordered. Amazingly as it seems, 60-year old Derek's voice is still absolutely FANTASTIC. For me, this guy is one of the greatest hard rock singers ever, maybe THE greatest.

2. The first 4 songs on this alone are worth the price of admission (including... Wango Tango). Ted and the band don't let up as they segue from one to the next.

3. Uncle Ted is on TOP FORM. This guy is an unheralded national treasure for the USA. A true one-of-a-kind innovator of wild RnR guitar. And a master songwriter, aswell as the premier living exponent of guitar showmanship. This dude has been gigging for nearly 50 years and still delivers a killer show. There is some beautiful Nuge guitar on this DVD.

4. It is nicely filmed at a really cool venue and the band are on fire.

5. This DVD is as good as Full Bluntal Nugity.

6. Buy it to show support for Ted & Derek. You won't regret it.

(NOTE - This DVD is a full 2 hour concert... so, ignore the erroneous "40 minute run time" in the Amazon details)

Stagg SGA100BK Tripod Guitar Stand - Black
Stagg SGA100BK Tripod Guitar Stand - Black
Offered by RayGar
Price: 7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand for a bass, 24 July 2013
Just what i needed. Seems strong enough, and decent quality. Very good for the money. Should safeguard a bass or guitar.

Down in the Flood (Live)
Down in the Flood (Live)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great arrangement of old song, 24 July 2013
Dylan and his best band ever really rip this one up. ...From the Dylan movie, "Masked & Anonymous". Great stuff.

French Mademoiselle Complete Masterworks
French Mademoiselle Complete Masterworks
Offered by monsieurcollector
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Late sixties hidden gem you should own., 5 Mar 2013
I took a chance on this whilst collecting lesser known 60s Brit girl pop. This offering from the French Tunisian cutie is a stunner. One of the best CDs I've bought in ages and ages. To me, this is better than the vast majority of the well-known and over-played rock and pop "so-called-classics" from the late 60s. Tres bon, Mademoiselle!

Edit: ...I forgot to say, this beauty comes in one of those cardboard digipack sleeves. Very nice, especially at the price at the time of writing.

Eight Classic Albums [Audio CD] Connie Francis
Eight Classic Albums [Audio CD] Connie Francis
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's sorry now? - Not me, now I've got this., 12 Feb 2013
Who's sorry now? - Not me, now I've got this fabulous 4-CD set. I'm a Connie newbie, and finding out how absolutely brilliant she is has enriched my life.

I agree with the other 5 Star Reviews here. This 8-album set is awesome. I knew a couple of the hits beforehand, but Connie is so much more than that. In fact, the hits don't represent her voice and presentation nearly well enough.

Connie is fluent in Italian and Spanish, so the discs in those languages are truly fabulous... especially the Spanish! And the "Country" disc is superb too.

And of course, you get the hits and an Xmas album to top it off. All for less than 9 pounds. Wow!

Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart -From Straight To Bizarre [DVD] [2012]
Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart -From Straight To Bizarre [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Frank Zappa
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Straight to Bizarre. ...You'll LOVE IT !!!, 20 Dec 2012
Yes, the world needed this. After all, we've had the same oldies but goldies Sixties served up to us in many of its recognisable faces over and over e.g. the summer of love, Psychedelia, Mod, Merseybeat and easy West Coast sounds etc.

Now, for the first time, we have the important and highly entertaining story of Frank Zappa's label stable. The stories and artists of Bizarre Records and Straight Records.

I love it! Lots of my favourites such as early Alice, those gorgeous freaky GTOs, the untamed Wildman Fischer, and the good old Captain himself, plus his Magic Band of course. And one or two I wasn't familiar with, which was a nice surprise.

Zappa's little human zoo was thousands of miles away from Woodstock both literally and figuratively. Marvellous stuff.

Original Album Series (5 Pack)
Original Album Series (5 Pack)
Price: 10.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if you want your early, psych to psycho Alice all in one box., 20 Sep 2012
Well, seeing as I paid only 10 for this on a pre-order special deal, I can't complain that's it's not great value for money.

And it IS very nice to have the first 5 AC albums all in one place, and in card sleeves so you can play a selection of faves from the various albums without having to grapple with plastic CD cases.

And, let's face it, if you're an old-school Alice fan from back in the day like me, then re-listening to these holy-grail albums is always a pleasure. What other band from that 69-72 era (presented here) showed so much invention and evolution in such a short time. Each of these albums differs in sound, song-writing styles, vocal styling, production and so on. Collectively they really do represent a treasure in the Rock canon.

That's the upside. Now, there are a couple of niggles to point out.

Firstly, though I'm no audiophile, these sound like they're taken from the same old Warners CD masters from the days of yore, replete with hiss here and there. I guess at this price we're not going to get nice remasters. But, I did live in hope.

Secondly, the card sleeves and the box. The box seems ideal for 4 card sleeves, but jamming 5 in means they're a real pain to get out. Hence, I have taken to only putting 4 back in, as it would surely damage one or more sleeve to winch them out whenever I want to listen to one or more, if I put all five back in.

And the card sleeves themselves. Why oh why have Rhino elected to put a coloured border around each of them? These are some of the most striking album covers of all time. And, even if a border were required, it would have been logical and easy enough to put a suitable colour around most of them that matched the original design (black for LITD etc.). That's another indication that little time has been spent on this reissue, or little time considering the consumer.

But, for the price I paid, I can't really complain. I just thought I'd point these things out for potential buyers. ........It's still classic Cooper, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith, Buxton (and mostly Ezrin) at the height of their creativity. And maybe at this price some new listeners might be exposed to the joys of the Cooper group as they mutated from psych to psycho rock.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Welcome 2 My Nightmare

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to be Caught In A new Dream, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Audio CD)
Best Coop album since the Warner Bros days.

Only 2 tracks are below par (Ghouls, Disco Bloodbath). Everything else is either Very Good or Classic Alice. And if you replace the 2 duds with the bonus-extra "Under The Bed" then W2MN is IMO as good as the original Nightmare.

Great vocals by AC & lyrics to die for. Some real LOL moments too. And the keyword is VARIETY. Classic AC always has diverse styles on one disc, and this has it in spades.

Highlights:
A Runaway Train '(Dennis Dunaway does Dylan on speed, hurtling along & going off the rails)
The Congregation (a Glam stomp, nice work by Rob Zombie in the Vincent Price role)
I'll Bite Your Face Off '(Alice does The Stones, best AC single since the 70s? A Neal Smith toon)
Something To Remember Me By (Best Lennon ballad John never wrote)
When Hell Comes Home '(fantastic Mike Bruce chiller)
I Gotta Get Outta Here '(Nice Wilburys-style finale)
Under The Bed (LOL when Alice's cat went under the bed & disappeared)

Even with the 2 duds, I'm givin' it FIVE STARS.

Oh... and there's the Magazine. It's fantastic. What a mega-value deal.