Profile for Janet Conroy > Reviews

Content by Janet Conroy

Janet Conroy

Hotel Paradise (Kindle Single)
Hotel Paradise (Kindle Single)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great disappointment, 20 April 2014
Sorry Carol. I loved The Olive Farm but this is trite, predictable and deeply unsatisfying. I finished it, but only because I was on holiday and I'd read everything else on my Kindle

Unexploded
Unexploded

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and engaging, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Unexploded (Kindle Edition)
I saw this recommended in the Observer Review and am glad I bought it for my Kindle. It evokes a clear picture of life in Brighton (it helps if you know the town) in WW2. Elements of it reminded me of Michael Frayn's "The Spies". The dynamics within the central family and their friends and lovers ring true and there are many unexpected twists.

Highly recommended

Where Memories Go: Why dementia changes everything - Now with a new chapter
Where Memories Go: Why dementia changes everything - Now with a new chapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for anyone coping with a relative with dementia, 12 April 2014
My mum has dementia, finally officially diagnosed as Alzheimers a few months ago after years of mental decline. So many of Sally Magnusson's expeiences with her mum resonated with me: occasional lapses into strange behaviour, a growing inability to deal with everyday tasks, a diminution in her interest in and understanding of the outside world and much more.

Unlike Sally I am the only child living in the same town and my mum has had to go into an EMI Care Home where she is very well cared for, but I still feel guilty that I have subjected her to this. The book has made me determined to visit her more frequently, even if we only sit together in silence. I read the book on holiday in Crete last week, about which mum was oblivious as she would have fretted if she'd known I was away, and cried at the end. Can't recommend it highly enough.