Profile for Random Reader > Reviews

Content by Random Reader

Random Reader (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Frozen (Little Golden Book)
Frozen (Little Golden Book)
by Victoria Saxon

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly fine for the price - and thoughtfully tailored for smaller Frozen fans, 29 Aug 2014
This has gotten a number of grumpy reviews and I think it's worth putting the record straight.

In fairness - the factual aspects of these reviews have some accuracy. So let's be clear:

- It's small book, both in page size and page count
- Paper stock is coarse and non-glossy. However, it's not newspaper-grade and one nice result is a pleasant matte effect
- It's bound in a single piece of cardboard which is folded across the rest of the book and press-sealed to form a 'clamped' spine (the golden left-hand edge on the cover photo). This is quite nice for smaller children as it results in a spine that can;t be cracked or split and a book that is easy to hold. What is odd (as others have noted) is that the fore-edge of the cover (not the top or bottom edges) falls a milimetre or so short of covering the interior pages fully. Frankly, I haven't lost a moment's sleep seething about that 'betrayal' ...

Which brings us to the crux of the matter. I paid less for this book (delivered free to my desk) than I did for my medium, black americano (no sugar) this morning. For that sort of sum, there are *no* grounds for complaint with what I received. Magazines cost more than this and will endure far less.

SPOILERS

Artwork is new (not stills from the movie) and of a flatter, less detailed style more appropriate to a book, whilst very much in keeping with the film's character and scenery designs. The story is significantly truncated (the sub-plot about the Duke of Wesselton seeking to have Elsa killed is removed) - for reasons I suspect both of brevity and tone.

Be in no doubt that this is a book for fans of Frozen at the younger end of the age spectrum. My own daughter is 3 and she loves this book. Frankly that is all the review I need.

If you're in doubt - perhaps try the bigger Golden Book that's available (i can't comment on that one) or something else. However, be in no doubt that you get your money's worth with this book. More I'd say, as we have enjoyed repeated readings of this.

Some people may feel justifiably that they were given insufficient information about the format of this book. Fair enough - I suspect that in the US perhaps, there is a wider understanding of what a 'little golden book' represents (like saying 'Ladybird book' in the UK). So hopefully you now know what to expect.

Giving it a poor review though, speaks of the anger of the moment and lacks perspective. It's perfectly reasonable for the money I paid and low-score reviews just make me think of those people who complain that it only took them a day to finish an iPad game for which they paid all of £0.69 ...

Gioteck Real Triggers (PS3)
Gioteck Real Triggers (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - very useful, 8 Aug 2014
Vital if you have any intention to use L2 ansd R2 on an official PS3 controller - they are very badly designed without the addition of these little gizmos.

One star deducted as they do break after a decent amount of sustained gameplay. Buy two sets at once..

Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke - 148ml
Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke - 148ml
Offered by We Luv Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need it you need it, 8 Aug 2014
Vital ingredient for my bbq pulled pork. I got sick of explaining to people in shops that 'liquid smoke' is a real thing. Thank god for Amazon ...

Where's My Shoggoth?
Where's My Shoggoth?
by Adam Bolton

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-biased appraisal of something I'd *have* to pretend to like if it wasn't just so darned good anyway ..., 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Where's My Shoggoth? (Hardcover)
Ian Thomas once taught me to kill a man using only the power of my mind. He also taught me that with great power comes great migraines - so don't do it kids!

So the author is a friend (declaration of interest). I still wouldn't stoop to wipe my **** with his book if it was a stinking pile of dross.

Luckily it's not. It's darkly amusing, strangely touching at times, deftly written and brilliantly illustrated by Adam Bolton (the 'yang' to Ian's 'yin').

Let's be honest - this is one for the Lovecraft crowd. It's a niche publication than *mostly* requires you to be in on the joke. But that's no bad thing, is it? Richard Littlejohn writes books only for people who secretly hate themselves and their failure to enjoy the world around them. Dan Brown writes thrilling novels for credulous and semi-literate buffoons. Tom Clancy's estate continue to churn out books that can only be used as onanistic aids for those infatuated with American exceptionalism and the might of the military industrial complex.

So why shouldn't there something published for the venn intersection of "people who appreciate the fine craft and nuance of childrens books" and "people who find mad undying tentacle-faced space-gods unaccountably funny".

I applaud the efforts of these gentlmen and look forward eagerly to their next published work.

Swissgear GA-7335-07 Granite 15.6 Inch Backpack
Swissgear GA-7335-07 Granite 15.6 Inch Backpack

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay - great colour - but things get lost inside, 8 Aug 2014
Strong, capacious but lacks some of the internal organisation of my old Swissgear laptop rucksack. Think I'll stick with it for a while, but when work upgrades me to a Macbook Air or super-slim Dell, I shall be moving onto a smaller bag ...

Born To Die - The Paradise Edition
Born To Die - The Paradise Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 8 Aug 2014
Bought this despite having the original version of Born to Die as the bonus disc contained many tracks that were equal or better than those on the original album; Ride, Bel Air, Gods and Monsters etc. - all very fine.

Kudos to Amazon for Autorip as well - I got to load this onto my iPod before the CD even arrived.

SAVFY® Samsung Galaxy S4 SIV I9500 I9505 Dual Sync Dock Desktop Charger Docking Station Cradle Stand AND Battery (2800mAh) Black (S4 Desktop Charger + Battery)
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Great that it charges your spare battery at the same ..., 8 Aug 2014
Great that it charges your spare battery at the same time (replaceable battery being the only redeeming feature of Samsung's insistence on appalling 'Pound Shop' plastic designs).

Terrible in that it was almost impossible to plug the phone into the cradle.

"It only had to do one thing ..."

Aquabourne FM Shower / Bathroom Radio- charged by Dynamo Hand Crank or USB *NO BATTERIES NEEDED*
Offered by Home & Travel

3.0 out of 5 stars May work better for you than it has for me, 8 Aug 2014
I love the idea of this but there are a couple of problems.

The one that is probably NOT the radio's fault is that reception in my shower room is just awful; there are very few signals that can be picked up well enough to listen to.

More annoying is that trying to tune the radio is a nightmare - as the wheel is unbelievably stiff. Possibly something to do with waterproofing? I don't know - but its a sadly frustrating device that is seldom turned on.

Anti-Lost Snap-on Lens Cover Cap Keeper Lanyard Strap For DSLR Camera
Anti-Lost Snap-on Lens Cover Cap Keeper Lanyard Strap For DSLR Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and cheap, 8 Aug 2014
Does what it says. Does it well. An important accessory bought after I lost my lens cap over the wall of a tapir enclosure ...

iGadgitz Brown Luxury Genuine Leather Pouch Case Cover with Magnetic Closure for Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 & Sony Xperia L Android Smartphone Mobile Phone
Offered by iGadgitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Smart but questionable build, 8 Aug 2014
Looks great but the magnetic clasp came off just a week or two after my wife started using hers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4