Profile for nchick > Reviews

"nchick"

City Of The Living Dead [DVD] [1981]
City Of The Living Dead [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Christopher George

5.0 out of 5 stars This has to be one of the scariest zombie films I've ever, 18 Nov. 2002
City of the Living Dead
The Seven Gates Of Hell have been torn open, and in 3 days the dead shall rise and walk the earth. As a reporter and a psychic race to close the portals of the damned, they encounter a seething nightmare of unspeakable evil. The city is alive--with the horrors of the living dead!
Lucio Fulci does it again. He has created another masterpiece. I recently saw The Beyond, which many consider to be Fulci's masterpiece. I was amazed at by how good it was so it got me interested in seeing other Fulci films, so I found this one. On many ways, this one is equal to The Beyond, worse, and often better then The Beyond, but overall I would say that this is an equal to The Beyond. One thing that makes this a better film is the fact that the zombies enter the film about a half of an hour earlier then in The Beyond. Another good thing about this film is that the movie is much faster then The Beyond. This movie has some really frightening scenes in them, like when the girl vomits up her intestines, and when that poor man gets his head split by a power drill all because he was sleeping in a car. The zombies in this film are much faster then the ones in The Beyond, they appear and disappear all throughout the movie. I recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of Lucio Fulci, or a fan of horror. You won't be disappointed.
Artisan has released Children of the Living Dead in a direct-to-video release. They have given us a nice DVD for this film. This is one of the first times I've seen a DVD that is better then the movie itself, which isn't saying much. The picture quality is better then the VHS picture quality. The surround sound is nice as well. Once I got this DVD I watched the Trailer since I hadn't ever seen the Trailer. Well I noticed that the Trailer is better then the movie itself. There are other trailers on this DVD as well. I hadn't ever seen anything about the film Bloody Murder and the trailer for that film made it look like it might be a decent film. One thing I noticed on this DVD that I didn't notice on the VHS was that after the credits there is a little scene where this guy walks up to two zombies at a car and asks, "Seen any zombies lately?" or something like that. Well the two zombies turn around and the guy shots them. I may have just turned the VHS off too quickly to even notice that scene. But anyway, overall this is a decent DVD. If you want to buy this movie, check out the DVD. I just wish I could recomment this movie. But zombie lovers may like it.

The Beyond [DVD]
The Beyond [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catriona MacColl

4.0 out of 5 stars if anyone wants to get started on Lucio Fulci's movies, I su, 18 Nov. 2002
This review is from: The Beyond [DVD] (DVD)
The Beyond
Beneath a run-down New Orleans hotel lies a dark, evil secret. The entrance to the underworld is waiting to be opened, and when the new residents of the hotel move in...the evil is awakened. Demonic forces of all shapes and sizes are rising up and violently attacking the living one by one. Can the text of an ancient book save the tenants from a horrible death? Will mankind prevail over the demonic forces, or will it perish in a bleak wasteland conquered by legions of the undead?
I found this movie to be a fun watch. It starts out kind of slow but picks up once the zombies start to arrive. On the cover of the DVD it said "WARNING: The SHOCKING and VIOLENT nature of this film may be too intense for some viewers." Well I didn't find this movie to be as violent as I was expecting from reading that. Instead I found that it was an interesting zombie tale from the 80's that was very stylish. Lucio Fulci loves the doing something to the eyes when someone gets killed. I really liked the part in the beginning of the film when a zombie reaches its hand through a hole and pokes the guys eyes out. Another memorable scene is when a zombie grabs a lady and shoves the back of her head onto a nail which makes her eye poke out. Plus the ending was a big surprise to me. The only reason this gets an 8 star rating is because of how slow the movie moves in the beginning and because I didn't think the music in the film fit the scenes. You get this music that reminds me of the kind of music you would find on the show "Love Boat." It does have a good bit of gore, and if anyone wants to get started on Lucio Fulci's movies, I suggest starting on this masterpiece.
This is a great DVD. The picture and sound quality are great. I would have liked it better though if you could have put the German Color Pre-Credit Sequence into the movie instead of just watching it in the special features. It really adds to the film to see it that way. Seeing it in its widescreen format really is a great way to watch it too, and best of all the DVD is the Uncut version of the film. There are two hidden features on this DVD. One is a very graphic trailer for the Lucio Fulci film called "Cat in the Brain" and the other is for the opening scene from "Seven Doors of Death" which is another title for The Beyond. To access the "Cat in the Brain" trailer, go to Images from The Beyond, highlight the menu button on the screen and then press the left arrow key on your remote control and you will highlight the Eibon symbol. Press Enter and you will get to see the "Cat in the Brain" Trailer. For the other hidden feature go to the Audio Setup area and highlight "Resume." Press the left arrow and you'll highlight the Eibon symbol. Click that and you can view the other title sequence from "Seven Doors of Death." For all the collectors I recommend you getting the Limited Edition version, that is if you can still find it. Though it has nothing more then the regular version Anchor Bay released except it has a few more posters. If you can't find that one then you should get the regular one, they are pretty much the same. I recommend this DVD to any DVD collector.

The House By the Cemetery (Widescreen) [DVD]
The House By the Cemetery (Widescreen) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catriona MacColl
Offered by ajdiscs

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of Fulci, I recommend this film., 18 Nov. 2002
House by the Cemetery
A young family moves from their cramped New York City apartment to a spacious new home in New England. But this is no ordinary house in the country: the previous owner was the deranged Dr. Freudstein, whose monsterous human experiments have left a legacy of bloody mayhem. Now, someone - or something - is alive in the basement, and home sweet home is about to become a horrific hell on earth.
Another Lucio Fulci gore flick. I really enjoyed this film as I do with other Fulci films. It starts out with this girl getting a knife in the back of her head and out her mouth. After that it starts to get a bit slow, and nothing really interesting happens until a lady gets her foot stuck in a crack in the floor. One thing that I found annoying about this film is the horrible dubbing. The little boy is dubbed by some old woman and it gets annoying really fast. Another thing I noticed is that if they did a Chucky look-a-like contest, that little boy would win it hands down. Just slap some red hair on that boy and you'd never be able to tell the difference. Another thing about this movie is that it isn't really a gory film like other Fulci horror films, this one is just more bloody. If you can look past the horrible dubbing you are in for a really good monster film. If you're a fan of Fulci, I recommend this film.
Anchor Bay brings us another Fulci film in its uncut glory. After buying both the Anchor Bay versions of "The Beyond" and "City of the Living Dead" I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a Fulci film that is brought to us on DVD from Anchor Bay. And I must say that Anchor Bay has done it again with another great film with a really good DVD. The features are nothing like the ones that are on "The Beyond." But the film is presented in its complete and uncut form which really is great when watching a Fulci film. That is another thing that Anchor Bay has really done a good job with, releasing these films uncut. The picture and sound quality are great. I never saw this film before I bought this DVD, so I really can't tell you if it's an improvement, but I can say that from others who have seen both versions of the DVD and people who have seen the VHS, it is a big improvement. The picture quality is supposed to be more clear on the Anchor Bay version, and it is clear. The only bad thing about this DVD is that it really doesn't have much extras. So it's your basic DVD, but the thing that saves this DVD is the fact that the movie is completely uncut. A