Profile for Peter Kwee > Reviews

Hymn of the Universe
Hymn of the Universe
by Teilhard de Chardin

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually uplifting, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Hymn of the Universe (Paperback)
This is I think my third copy of this book, which I give away to friends. Chardin's writings have helped enormously to shape my faith as a Christian.

Worth buying just for the first chapter, mass on the world.

LG AN-WF100 Wi-Fi Dongle for Wireless Access to LG Smart TV
LG AN-WF100 Wi-Fi Dongle for Wireless Access to LG Smart TV
Offered by V-BASKET

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fast enough?, 29 May 2014
I bought this to ensure compatibility with my LG plasma TV, because another make of wifi dongle was not recognised by the TV. However, when streaming iplayer, Netflix or Amazon prime the picture frequently and regularly freezes up while the buffer fills up again, which makes for very interrupted viewing. The resulting picture quality also does not seem very good. By comparison, the performance of viewing Netflix through Apple TV gives far superior results.

I have had to stop using this dongle and resort to Ethernet cable connection for video streaming, which works fine.

JJ Darboven Cafe Intencion Fair Trade Filter Coffee Sachets (Pack of 5)
JJ Darboven Cafe Intencion Fair Trade Filter Coffee Sachets (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, fair trade or otherwise - but expensive!, 30 Dec. 2013
I have been testing fair-trade coffee sachets for catering to groups of 10 - 50, my aim has been to convince sceptics that "fair-trade" catering coffee could also be great tasting. This coffee has done the trick.
It is what it says - good arabica beans carefully roasted to be reasonably full-bodied without being too strong or bitter. It tends more towards rich, dark flavours, much nicer than the burnt or acidy coffees you most often find served in cafes and restaurants. (At home, we are coffee fanatics using a range of equipment from filters, cafetieres, to nespresso machines). I have found it much preferable to some other well-known brands such as Rombouts. The quantity per sachet gives just about the right strength coffee for a standard catering filter machine.
Tested 5 sachets on about 50 people using a two-jug filter machine, and the verdict has been unanimously in favour, even from die-hard anti-fair trade coffee aficionados! Note: we have not left coffee jugs to stay on hot plate for more than 15-30 minutes max.)

On the 'down' side, it seems quite a lot more expensive than many other fair-trade coffees available on the market. If quality and taste are more important than cost then so far this would be my choice; but you could pay less and still satisfy most coffee drinkers.

Titleist Mixed Lake Balls - 12pk
Titleist Mixed Lake Balls - 12pk
Offered by the golf shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so mixed - DT's, 30 April 2011
The balls are all in very good cosmetic condition with few or no marks on them. They play well and pretty much as I expected, compared with other nearly new Titleist balls I have used and liked, although I am only a beginner. I have not yet compared these balls with brand new Titleist balls.

The dozen balls do NOT include any of the more expensive Titleist ranges (NXT etc)but are all from the cheaper DT range. They are a mix of DT solo, DT roll and DT carry. Some of the balls have a 'recycled/refinished' stamp on them, suggesting that these lake balls have now been resold more than once. Most of them also have a Company promotional brand stamped on them of one sort or another.

In hindsight, this is a good way to try out a good make of golf ball, and they are probably as good balls as you might expect for the price; but if and when you are looking to improve consistency of your play it might be better value to buy a set of new Titleist DT's available from discount sports suppliers, for not much more money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2011 10:18 AM BST

PGA Tour Automatic Ball Return Putting Mat
PGA Tour Automatic Ball Return Putting Mat

1.0 out of 5 stars OK while it lasted, 14 Feb. 2011
This was a Christmas present, but bought a month before from Amazon. I am a golf beginner and terrible putter and was very eager to try this; I used it indoors on carpet maybe 15-30 mins a day, 3-4 days per week for about 6 weeks this year before the ball return mechanism broke - it will not cock the spring fully, and just makes a lot of noise continuously trying to do so, until you remove the batteries. So who keeps all the boxes and documentation for return 3 months after Christmas? Anyway -

Pros: the auto-return mechanism did what it said, and is strong enough to return the ball for long puts (20ft or longer on smooth carpet?)
Cons: the mechanism for resetting the return spring is quite noisy; wide markings and hole surround give a much bigger visual (and actual?) target than the real thing; the felt mat does not flatten completely so not much usable unless you like putting over wavy bumps (but it works well enough on carpet without it); and most importantLy - it broke down within 2 months of light use.

On balance, the pros would have outweighed all the other cons for me if only it had lasted. The pain of having to find manufacturer's details (no obvious help from Amazon's return process here), find documentation, claim a warranty repair/replacement, return etc. is proving too big a deterrent.

Thumbs Up UK Block Styled Alarm Clock
Thumbs Up UK Block Styled Alarm Clock

4.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist Marvel, 30 Nov. 2010
This clock is surprisingly small, and looks smart and attractive sitting on a bedside table once it is set up, despite it feeling a bit plastic-y when fitting batteries and setting up.
pros:
simple, uncluttered.
large read-out.
large touch-sensitive 'alarm off' area (the whole top)
no glowing LED's to disturb you in the dark.
cons:
no snooze facility (I think?)
alarm buzzer a bit on the quiet side.

I had difficulty initially setting it up because everything kept flickering non-stop and resetting to default. I eventually discovered that this was simply because I had not pressed the batteries completely securely against the terminals, and once fixed I experienced no more problems.

My wife just loves this little thing and has taken it over.

Aone 10 Dual Layer Double Layer Silk Screen DVD+R DL 8.5GB 240 Mins Blanks in Cakebox

1.0 out of 5 stars Causes my dvd recorder to freeze, 21 Mar. 2009
I bought this because I wanted to try extended time DL disks on a Panasonic hard drive & dvd recorder purchased less than 6 months ago, which is supposed to support DVD-DL recording. I tried two disks, but on both occasions the recorder stopped and completely froze up, so that the only option left was the last resort of unplugging the power supply.
I have not dared to try this again for fear of doing damage to my recorder!

Nokia BH-210 Bluetooth Headset
Nokia BH-210 Bluetooth Headset

1.0 out of 5 stars simply crackly, 21 Mar. 2009
The controls are simple and straightforward, as there is only one button. It pairs readily with my Nokia phone, Voice dialling works with Nokia phones that support it. It is nicely small and fits reasonably comfortably in the ear.
The range of this headset is its worst problem - anything further than a couple of feet makes the signal and sound quality pretty well unuseable. So you can use it in the car if your phone is in your breast pocket, for instance, but not for anything else. I had a Sony bluetooth headset for years that was larger and that this was intended to replace. Unfortunately, my old Sony had a far better effective range and was much clearer, .
Given the choice again, I would not buy this item.

Beto Alloy Barrel Track Pump with Gauge
Beto Alloy Barrel Track Pump with Gauge
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value pump, 21 Mar. 2009
This pump is surprisingly well built for the money, and feels re-assuringly solid. It is also quite powerful, and in a different class altogether from the plastic model that I bought from a local shop for not much less money and threw away as useless.
I had no problems pumping up road and hybrid tyres to 80-100 psi with very little effort, and it compares favourably to a much more expensive American brand track pump I used to own. I haven't checked the meter accuracy against other guages, but just from feel, it does seem reasonably accurate at least for leisure biking purposes.
The dual valve arrangement also works well, although it makes for a bulkier head which is slightly clumsier to handle. The locking lever was also a bit confusing (and counter-intuitive?) as to which position it needs to be to work.
Overall, it does what is needed very efficiently with little fuss and has the look and feel of something that will last.