Profile for Paul > Reviews

Milarepa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamyang Lodro
Offered by DVD Vault UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the second disc, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Milarepa [DVD] (DVD)
The film of Milareoa's life felt more like an old fashioned B movie about revenge and sorcery. I wanted to like it but the acting was unconvincing and the poor (by today's standards) effects were distracting if not unnecessary. The biography seemed to dwell on the hard life and injustice that led Milarepa to his eventual disillusionment and then a scarce few minutes at the end of the film spent upon his catharsis and onward search for enlightenment . . . I would have preferred to have seen less of the former and more of the latter.

However, the accompanying disc, where the teachers and yogis of today were presenting Milarepa's life and lessons as relevant for today, is priceless.

Vasistha's Yoga (Special Paper; 27)
Vasistha's Yoga (Special Paper; 27)
by Swami Venkatesananda

5.0 out of 5 stars the supreme journey, 7 Jan 2009
I once heard an academic try to explain why a joke is funny. In essence, he explained that it is when thoughts are led down one path and then find themselves somewhere else.

Some time later I mused upon the profoundness of the experience of when the light first dawns that we are not in the world but the world is in us; that diversity is within the unity of pure consciousness. And in that fleeting moment when we first see this, a joy fills our heart with the divine 'humour' of it. It is a divine joke.

When I was a small boy my father proudly took me for a ride in his new car and I asked him how did the car know which way to go. He was puzzled and asked what I meant, "That light in front of you flashes every time just before you turn", I said. Of course he laughed at my lack of understanding that the flashing light did not make my father turn but it was my father who made the light flash. This simple story is sweet and funny; so too is there a joy and humour when we see that the world did not make 'me' but 'I' made the world.

The Vasistha leads us from path to path, until we find that time and space are made by our perception of them, that there was no Creation because noTHING was created, BUT when we accept the illusoryness of the World, the Vasistha takes us on another path and that sense of illusion is seen as also an illusion.

It is laudable to question reality but Vasistha enlightens Rama to the realisation that that is the wrong question to ask. It is as much a folly as asking which moon is real to a man with double vision - (or perhaps "How does the car know which way to go?)!

We are blessed that Swami Venkatesanada has translated and distributed the Vasistha and I am blessed that the book found its way to me. Through Vasistha's patient reiterations of parable, metaphor and riddle he has allowed the light to shine on truth beyond words.

The Supreme Yoga: A New Translation of the Yoga Vasistha (Buddhist Tradition S.) [2 Vol set]
by Venkatesananda Swam

5.0 out of 5 stars The Supreme Journey, 30 Aug 2008

It is a laudable to question reality but Vasistha enlightens Rama to the realisation that that is the wrong question to ask. It is as much a folly as asking which moon is real to a man with double vision - (or perhaps "How does the car know which way to go?)!

Chronos [1985] [DVD]
Chronos [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Fricke

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot, 8 Jun 2008
This review is from: Chronos [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
Ancient, beautiful, haunting places, juxtaposed with the equally awe-filled modern world of lights and movement. But, sadly, some gadget loving man, with his hand on some technical camera-time-lapse-trickery, had to spoil it with excess. I lost the point; I'm afraid there's only so much blurred images of Grand Central Station anyone can take before boredom sets in.

The Ascent Of Man : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1973]
The Ascent Of Man : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ The Ascent of Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jan 2008
I have often felt a lump in my throat when moved by powerful music or noble sentiments but never before by science and history. A must-watch for every enquiring mind. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

2.0 out of 5 stars The Dawkin Delusion, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Hardcover)
Very disappointing.

I had been looking forward to reading this book for some time, thinking that it would be a very deep and interesting look into the mystery of existence without the superstition, wishful-thinking, god-fearing, narrow-minded view of a anthromorphological God. Sadly, it was Dawkin just inventing another schism; making atheism another religion. Beneath its very grand title there is the feel of an undergraduate essay trying to score clever points in a childish way by shouting the "the Emperor has no clothes" to those who still believe in the bread & wine, the holy conjuring trick miracles, the myths and legends, and all the other artefacts that free thinking intellectuals have probably never accepted (except perhaps as metaphors).

Dear Professor, you've missed the point, you've thrown the baby out with the bath water. Under the title The God Delusion I and many others could have written a book that would have provoked thought and questioned the nature of reality and experience, shown how considered atheism is truly profound, but I fear that its content would not have the same quasi academic yet tabloid appeal to be published much less promoted.

Jacob's Ladder [DVD] [1991]
Jacob's Ladder [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Tim Robbins
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling, 18 Mar 2007
This review is from: Jacob's Ladder [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Beware, you could be in for a rough ride. If you choose to view this film as a horror story with a twist, then there are many other films in that genre that will shock you more - but what will really shock you is if you dare to get into the symbolism.

It's the story of a man seeing a life pass before his eyes, although not necessarily his own life in the conventional sense. It's said that we need to put our past behind us before we can move on, likewise, Jacob Singer has to do this but perhaps it's not his literal past but ashes of emotions and psychology scars that need to be abandoned.

Every scene drips with double-meanings; the heavy use of Judeo-Christian references: Jacob's ladder, a lover named Jezebel, being mugged by Santa Clause, etc.

It raises a question of what is real. The life we think we know is based on the choices we took and the roads we travelled but what of the infinite number of other realities filled with those other choices and those other roads? Are there other parts of us walking those roads? Even in this world we are conscious of the relativity of time, space and energy; we know that every moment can be brimful of space yet still filled with time, yet still filled with light and sound and memories. Many worlds co-exist and Singer moves between worlds.

Something has happened to Singer that we don't understand, he's in a place we don't recognise, but is it less real?

But, as dark and as grim as it gets, this film is ultimately one of hope and redemption. "You look like an angel", Singer says to his chiropractor, a chiropractor that straightens deeper knots than mere physical joints and tissues. And the chiropractor explains that the devils are just angels trying to free Singer from this world; a point that is almost thrown away on Singer and we viewers until in conclusion it becomes the whole point of the journey.

Watch it as a psychological thriller or as a piece of post-Vietnam nostagia if you wish BUT stare at mortality itself if you dare.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring [DVD] [2004]
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Oh Young-Su

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 27 May 2006
For me, a measure of good art is how much it stays with me long after the experience. This film will stay with me for ever. To call it a film, to call it a story, would be to undersell it; it is a pure message, an allegory.

The scenery is sheer beauty and characters are so natural it's as if they are not acting at all. But the real messages of the story are layered in as many ways as you care to look for them. Yet, while you swim in the depths of its meaning, you'll smile at the ineptness of youth, the benign cunning of an old man, and even a cat tail paint brush!