Profile for Mr. Bluesman > Reviews

Content by Mr. Bluesman

Mr. Bluesman (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sibelius 7 Academic Student (PC/Mac)
Sibelius 7 Academic Student (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars The best word processor for musicians., 25 April 2013
For long time, I was wondering if there was any program that would do the job for musicians just like a word processor does for writers. I searched in the Internet and learnt the name Sibelius in the first place. Did a little bit of research about it, took a couple of classes and found out this is the program I was exactly looking for. Then I bought the then latest version Sibelius 4 educational one when I enrolled in a music course. The dealer told me it is no different to the proper version but only the price. Just an offer for students. I believed so because I found no difference in what I studied in the class and I am able to be doing a lot of things in it. When buying the student version, I had to prove that I was a student while registration or something if my memory served me well. After that there had been no such problems in upgrading.

I love to compose and arrange music. Not like a classical composer but simple score for my own rock/pop music. The composition and arrangement is all in my mind. Sibelius plays for me the notes I input for bass, drums, keyboards, violins, saxophones, etc. I listen to how it sounds and rework to make it sound better. I can use it as a final audio script before going to a studio. I even make backing tracks for covers and play guitar and sing along to entertain friends and myself. Though it's not suitable for professional entertainment use as sound samples are not of that high quality because the program is not designed for it.

Even after loving this software so much why I am giving it only 4 stars is that I regularly upgrade to the latest versions but not immediately. And after every upgrade, I have trouble finding the sound I have used in the previous version because of which my score sounds different. Currently I use different samples from different libraries - DLS Music Device, Kontakt Player 5, Rock And Pop Collection and Sibelius Player. Strange thing is that before every upgrade (4 to 5, 5 to 6 and now 6 to 7), I seem to experience troubles with the sound libraries which kind of forces me to upgrade even though I am happy with that version. I don't know why.

Anyway I thank Sibelius for coming into my life. Day or night, I just keep on my lap my baby MacBook Pro (running on OSX 10.6.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 and 4GB Memory), open Sibelius and swim in the ocean of Notes and Notations. I love it. It has been my everything. Good news is Avid/Digidesign (the maker of ProTools) bought Sibelius company. So I'm expecting that I can do more and better in the future. Recently I am only waiting for one announcement. Sibelius in iPad. Wow! Life would be more beautiful.

Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time
Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics Of All Time

4.0 out of 5 stars What Else Could Be Better For A Rock Fan ?, 15 April 2013
I am a fan of Santana. I have seen the band live in Hong Kong in '96. Best Of Santana, Supernatural and Original Album Classics (2008) were all the albums I had before Guitar Heaven. Black Magic Woman is one of my all time favourite songs. My review here is short but definitely won't be the wise one. All I can say is that for being a great fan of rock, hard rock, heavy metal, Guitar Heaven has to be the album for me. I enjoyed listening to Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, George Harrison, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, all my favourite ones differently in Latino music style (with congas) or in Santana style. Santana rocks \,,/,

4.0 out of 5 stars I am starting my collection, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Being an album collector, collecting all the 29 studio albums by Santana listed below is beyond my affordability in the short period. I found Sony Music's Original Album Classics series is the best way. Having other box sets, I knew what to expect. No lyrics, production info, photos, pictures or booklet. It comes in hard card board box a little thicker than the normal CD jewel case and inside goes 5 CDs in separate sleeves with album cover, track lists and very little production info. That's good enough for this much price and better than MP3 downloads. Amazon's automatic linking of review for one product to another similar product is only confusing. I did a little bit of homework here and wrote this review to make it easy to understand.

These are the studio albums by Santana in chronological order to date. Most were released as Santana and some as duet and solo as Carlos Santana and Devadip Carlos Santana.

01 (1969) Santana
02 (1970) Abraxas
03 (1971) Santana III
04 (1972) Caravanserai *
05 (1973) Love Devotion Surrender * (Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin)
06 (1973) Welcome *
07 (1974) Illuminations + (Devadip Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane)
08 (1974) Borboletta *
09 (1976) Amigos *
10 (1977) Festival
11 (1977) Moonflower (Studio and live double CD)
12 (1978) Inner Secrets ^
13 (1979) Marathon ^
14 (1979) Oneness - Silver Dreams Golden Reality + (Devadip Carlos Santana)
15 (1980) The Swing Of Delight + (Devadip Carlos Santana)
16 (1981) Zebop! ^
17 (1982) Shango ^
18 (1983) Havana Moon X (Carlos Santana)
19 (1985) Beyond Appearances X
20 (1987) Freedom ^
21 (1987) Blues For Salvador (Carlos Santana)
22 (1990) Spirits Dancing In The Flesh X
23 (1992) Milargo
24 (1994) Santana Brothers (Carlos Santana, Jorge Santana and Carlos Hernandez)
25 (1999) Supernatural
26 (2002) Shaman
27 (2005) All That I Am
28 (2010) Guitar Heaven
29 (2012) Shape Shifter

There are 4 Santana Original Album Classics series released so far. Original Album Classics (2008) that has the 5 CDs marked *. Caravanserai, Love Devotion Surrender, Welcome, Borboletta and Amigos. Original Album Classics (2009) which contains the 5 CDs marked ^. Inner Secrets, Marathon, Zebop!, Shango and Freedom. Original Album Classics (2010) that includes the 3 CDs marked +. Illuminations, Silver Dream Golden Reality and The Swing Of Delight released as Devadip Carlos Santana. And Original Album Classics (2011) which comprises the 3 CDs marked X. Havana Moon, Beyond Appearances and Spirits Dancing In The Flesh.

That's all I could write to simplify. I can not tell about the music. Best Of Santana and Supernatural, Guitar Heaven and Shape Shifter were all I knew about Santana. Now in addition, this 5CD Box Set for which this review is written. Gonna have the rest three. Black Magic Woman is my all time favourite song. Santana is the legendary band and Carlos the guitarist. I hope there will be more box sets in the series to include the rest. Enjoy the music! Enjoy Santana! Enjoy the collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey almost complete, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Reading other reviews here is funny because it is Amazon's error that the review for one product is automatically linked to another similar one. It happens. To make the confusion clear, stop and read.

Below are Journey's studio albums in chronological order parenthesising lead singers. There are 3 different Original Album Classic Box Sets for Journey. This Original Album Classics contains the first 3 albums marked * featuring Greg Rolie as a vocalist. Steve Perry hadn't joined yet. And this Original Album Classics includes the other 3 albums marked +. And again this Original Album Classics for which this review is written has 5 albums marked X.

01 1975 - Journey (Greg Rolie) *
02 1976 - Look Into The Future (Greg Rolie) *
03 1977 - Next (Greg Rolie) *
04 1978 - Infinity (Steve Perry/Greg Rolie) X
05 1979 - Evolution (Steve Perry/Greg Rolie) X
06 1980 - Departure (Steve Perry/Greg Rolie) +
07 1980 - Dream After Dream (Soundtrack to Japanese film) (Steve Perry/Greg Rolie)
08 1981 - Escape (Steve Perry) + X
09 1983 - Frontiers (Steve Perry) + X
10 1986 - Raised On Radio (Steve Perry) X
11 1996 - Trial By Fire (Steve Perry)
12 2001 - Arrival (Steve Augeri)
13 2002 - Red 13 (EP) (Steve Augeri)
14 2005 - Generations (Steve Augeri)
15 2008 - Revelation (Arnel Pineda)
16 2011 - Eclipse (Arnel Pineda)

Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits 2, Revelation and Eclipse are all the Journey albums I have. In addition now this box set. Being a big fan of Steve Perry, I would very much love to collect every Journey album featuring him. Thanks to Sony Music for releasing Original Album Classic series. But I wouldn't understand why Escape and Frontiers are packed twice. What about the other albums? Otherwise my collection would have been complete. Never mind.

By the way, this box set comes in hard card board box a little thicker than the normal CD jewel case and inside goes 5 CDs in separate sleeves with album art, track lists and little production info. Not to expect lyrics and photos like in standard CDs. Economical for a collector which will also minimise the storage space in the rack. Brilliant.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2013 12:41 AM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Economical !, 1 April 2013
01 (1986) Not Of This Earth *
02 (1987) Surfing With The Alien +
03 (1988) Dreaming #11 (EP)
04 (1989) Flying In A Blue Dream *
11 (2004) Is There Love In Space +
12 (2006) Super Colossal +
13 (2008) Professor Satchfunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
14 (2010) Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards

Above are all the studio albums to date in chronological order by Joe Satriani of whom I am a big fan. How big? I have all of these albums plus his live albums, DVDs and books. Furthermore, I am eagerly waiting for Unstoppable Momentum to release in May. Seen him live 4 times and looking forward to meeting him at Shepherd Bush in June.

This box set is the second one in Original Album Classics Box Set series by Sony Music released only today which has 5 albums marked + above. The first Original Album Classics of Joe was released in 2008 which has another 5 albums marked * above. Collecting two of these means having 10 albums from Not Of This Earth (1986) to Super Colossal (2006) leaving out Time Machine. That's 20 years of his career. Hope there will be the third box set that contains all the remaining albums.

These box sets come in hard card board box a little thicker than the normal CD jewel case and inside goes 5 CDs in separate sleeves with album art, track lists and little production info. Not to expect lyrics and photos like in standard CDs. If anybody is thinking of collecting the albums by particular artists in an economical way, I think this is the brilliant idea which will minimise the storage space in the rack too.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 10:21 AM BST

All The Time In The World /  Hell To Pay
All The Time In The World / Hell To Pay
Offered by CDandVinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars it's gonna be really good album, 1 April 2013
Whatever the line-up, Ian Gillan or David Coverdale, Ritchie Blackmore or Steve Morse, I love almost every album by Deep Purple. For me there won't be any deeper album than Machine Head. I have been listening to the preview of Hell To Pay and All The Time In The World almost everyday online and I could not wait until today when they are actually available for download although I have pre-ordered the full length album. I just don't have patience until the end of the month. Anyway here it is. My expectations were not too high and different. I just believed the legends would give the best. Well I find both singles to be really good. Hell To Pay is fast rocking while All The Time In The World is mid tempo bluesy. I am sure 'Now What ?!' is gonna be really good album.

Long live Purple ;-)
RIP Jon Lord
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2013 6:53 AM BST

What About Now
What About Now

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like BOUNCE and THE CIRCLE, you may like WHAT ABOUT NOW., 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: What About Now (Audio CD)
From Bon Jovi, I gave up expecting another I'll Be There For You, Never Say Goodbye, Always. I stopped hoping for another Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bad Medicine. I lost the faith that they would give another Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, Keep The Faith for these three are my best Bon Jovi albums ever.

But I had to accept the fact that like Metallica, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, U2 and other greatest bands of the same time, Bon Jovi has something in them that has kept their mighty success until today. The truth is they have diverted from what they were. I don't know how to put it. Maybe it's to pull new generation of fans or to fit into new generation of music. Whatever, three decades and 100,000,000 fans can never be wrong.

I downloaded 'Because We Can' just to taste the album days ago and I can imagine the crowds going mad singing the anthem, 'I don't wanna be another wave in the ocean, I am a rock not just another grain of sand ...' in the Hyde Park this summer. That's where I am planning to go to see the band for the second time. The art on the cover is also very appealing that I could not stop myself from pre-ordering the album. The only thing I complain about it is that the cover could have been better if lyrics and other detailed production information were added rather than just being a foldout page with just some art and little information. I would enjoy even more by holding the cover in my hand and going through page by page with the music.

Not long since I received my CD and 'That's What The Water Made Me', 'Army Of One', 'Room At The End Of The World', 'The Fighter', the title song have already become my favourites. There are 4 songs added to the standard 12 in the deluxe version. The last one being 'Every Road Leads Home To You' from Richie Sambora's beautiful solo album Aftermath Of The Lowdown which was released only last year. As in every Bon Jovi album, Richie's background singing adds extra wonderfulness.

People either love Bon Jovi or hate Bon Jovi. Irrespective of that big Metallica's poster hanging on my wall in my teens that said 'Kill Bon Jovi', I have always followed the band and adored them from the start. For their music and their glamour. Except for 'Have A Nice Day' and 'Lost Highway' which still disappoint me a little apart from couple of songs in them. Other than that, the late albums 'Bounce' and 'The Circle' are the reason I could easily and happily embrace 'What About Now'. I am rocking.

Bon Jovi forever ;-)
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 6:08 AM BST

Grrr! (Greatest Hits - 3 Volume Set)
Grrr! (Greatest Hits - 3 Volume Set)

3.0 out of 5 stars I Think I Am Alright. Thank You !, 2 Dec. 2012
I was thinking if The Stones would do one more album like ZZ Top's La Futura and Lynard Skynard's Last Of A Dyin' Breed, that would be great. I hoped Grrr! would be it. But :-( ... One star for that.

I have Forty Licks on two discs for the compilation album and other couple of studio albums. So I don't know if I need this one or replace the other one. This one has fifty tracks on three discs. All you ever need to know about The Rolling Stones. Really tempting. Five stars for that.

So it goes right in the middle. Three stars. I was thinking. Shall I click it? Lick it or kick it. Or it can't be a sign there's world tour coming up. Is it? Come on Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie! Give us new ones and good ones. Grrrrrrrrrr!

On Lead Guitar
On Lead Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Strings Cowboy, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: On Lead Guitar (MP3 Download)
I'll Be There For You is the song that took my attention by the melodic, harmonic, high pitched backing vocal. After that I became a big fan of Richie Sambora. Even bigger than of Jon's. Guitar player and backing singer. My greatest influence.

Just as I was wondering why wouldn't he do solo album with such a great voice while Jon did his solo album Blaze Of Glory, there he came out with Stranger In This Town. When the group Bon Jovi's lyrics were mainly about heart broken love songs, Stranger In This Town was different in terms of music and lyrics. When Bon Jovi sounds a bit pop rock, Stranger In This Town bluesy rock. I remember reading one magazine called him 'Eric Clapton of the new generation'. No doubt about it.

On Lead Guitar is the album that was recorded live in San Diego after Stranger In This Town was out. What Richie does here is Richie Sambora stuff from Stranger In This Twon and Bon Jovi stuff from New Jersey and other couple of stuff as well as essential Bon Jovi anthem Wanted Dead Or Alive. It's really raw live and you can hear the real talent of guitar playing and singing of this six strings cowboy here.

One of my favourite live albums.

Rock 'N' Roll

Live In Manila [DVD] [2010]
Live In Manila [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Stop Believing !, 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Live In Manila [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain and Ross Valory dragged the legacy of Journey until today with or without Steve Perry. I wished for Steve's return in Revelation but was disappointed as many of his fans. Honestly speaking, I never had any of Journey albums but Greatest Hits. And all these years, Greatest Hits has been what Journey means to me. All the songs that you need to know about Journey are there in that Greatest Hits. These are the songs what Journey is all about. These are the songs that define Journey. The journey of Journey. Greatest Hits 2 is good but not better than the first.

I dismissed Revelation after just one listen as there was no Steve Perry. But the voice again sounded like of Steve's just like Steve Augeri. And so I googled and learnt about this new singer Arnel Pineda. It's full of grace his life story is. It made me go back to listening to Revelation again and I only thought it's alright.

I attended Journey's concert with Foreigner and Styx at Wembley Arena few years back. Amidst the Journey's matured musicians, Arnel with his powerful voice and energetic performance really rocked the show. The band did most of the songs from Greatest Hits, Revelation and the latest then Eclipse. I returned home with that full vibe of concert. I went back to play Revelation and Eclipse again and again and again and that's when I liked both the albums. Now both albums turn out to be my favourite Journey albums.

When I saw this DVD at HMV, I wanted to buy it and I bought it and I am happy I did. It reminds me of that gig. The band is so proud to bring their homeboy home here to Manilla. Arnel looks the most energetic force on the stage moving around and jumping while other founding members Neal, Jonathan and Ross look cool and fabulous. Neal Schon, my favourite guitar player, plays amazing. The drummer Deen Costronovo does couple of singing and sounds as wonderful as Steve Perry. I enjoyed watching this 2 DVD sets so much. It's just wonderful with all those greatest songs upto Revelation. Just wonderful.

Journey has two divisions of fans as I have seen. Those who love Steve Perry (Steve Perry only) and those who appreciate other singers too including Greg Rollie. I fell into both types. Forget re-union with Steve Perry now. Because that looks like it's never going to happen. Start fresh. Listen to the second disc on Revelation where the band re-recorded Greatest Hits on Arnel's voice. He sounds marvellous. Accept him. And enjoy this concert.

Don't stop believing!