Profile for Sangeet Rcknrol > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 7.79

4.0 out of 5 stars As Darkest As They Can Be, 2 July 2013
This review is from: 13 (Audio CD)
13 is one of the albums that I was desperately wanting to have counting every day every night every week for months. God Is Dead? showcased how the album was gonna sound and I crazily pre-ordered both standard and deluxe versions at a good price from Amazon. I'm happy I did because look at the price now. The deluxe version is unbelievably three times higher than I paid for.

I wanted to be the first to review this album as they are my first among the Unholy Trinity Of The British Heavy Metal. But upon listening to the album, I was stunt and lost my words. Not because it was unexpected but I felt like it's the true return of the original line up extremely missing Bill Ward. I took awhile, took my time, enjoyed the blackest, the darkest music they are known for and became the 163rd reviewer here.

It was long hair, torn jeans, leather jackets teen fever of the 80's when I had 'The Eternal Idol' cassette as my first official Sabbath album. Although I was aware of 'The Best Of' or 'The Greatest Hits' packed with Paranoid, NIB, Iron Man, War Pig and all that Ozzy's stuffs. He was already big with his solo career that time and I was already Ozzy's biggest fan with Bark At The Moon, The Ultimate Sin, Diary Of A Madman and Blizzard Of Ozz. Tony Martin's The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purpose and Forbidden are my favourite Sabbath albums which sound still dark but melodic. Even if 13 was to feature Tony Martin, it would not make it as big as this with Ozzy, but I would still love it. RIP Dio.

Ronnie James Dio and Tony Martin succeeding Ozzy Osbourne, all brought different dish on the table with their vocals. Changed musically. 'Without Black Sabbath, the heavy metal music as we know today would have been different' was how Lars Ulrich (Metallica) inducted Black Sabbath at Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame in 2006. Definitely he was referring to the original Ozzy-Tony-Geezer-Bill line up. The four young dudes from Aston Birmingham with dreams to become rockstars like The Beatles made music that sounded different, distinct and dark than what was in the market. The rest is rock 'n' roll history.

What can I say about this album? Almost every fan in the world knew by now how it is and what it is. 'God Is Dead?' is really a powerful song, lyrically and musically. Listening to it full volume in my iPod scared the hell out of me better than horror movies. The beginning track 'End Of The Beginning' is shaped to sound like the debut song from the debut self titled album. Zeitgeist is the Planet Caravan. Both to make an impression that this is the original classic Black Sabbath. Rest is best.

The deluxe version has special cover of the same 13 on fire. It comes with extra pages with band photos, lyrics, studio information, credits and all that regular stuff. Bill ward is only mentioned once on Geezer's thank you column which is a bit bitter feeling. Deluxe version has 2 discs. First disc consists of same eight tracks as the standard version and the second disc three extra songs.

When I was devouring Iron Man by Tony Iommi, the riff master mentioned he has loads of riffs ready to go for album but it was just not happening. So, 13 must be of those best riffs. I wish sometimes there could've been different or better. But this is just simply the best. Want second album.

P/S :
The Unholy Trinity Of The British Heavy Metal -
Deep Purple - Now What?!
Black Sabbath - 13
How about Led Zeppelin now?

Dancer And The Moon
Dancer And The Moon
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.47

4.0 out of 5 stars I Am Having A Good Break, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dancer And The Moon (Audio CD)
Deep Purple or Rainbow or Blackmore's Night, Ritchie Blackmore is my man. On account of their previous albums 'Shadow Of The Moon', 'Under A Violet Moon', 'Fires At Midnight', 'Ghost Of A Rose' I own by this romantic band that plays folk rock or renaissance music or whatever it is called, I made an unmistakable purchase of this album. I am not a big fan of this kind of music but every now and then I take out the CDs from rack and I enjoy it. Maybe if it wasn't Ritchie Blackmore, I would never know Blackmore's Night at all.

When I listened to 'Shadow Of The Moon' for the very first time a decade ago, I thought I played the wrong CD. I was expecting rock and all that sort. Then I got used to it and went on to collect other albums. Acoustic guitars, mandolins, flutes, tambourines and Candice's voice make Blackmore's night distinct from Ritchie Blackmore's renown works. I can not judge this album on basis of what a good music in this kind of genre is supposed to be. I find this album more or less similar to previous albums.

I Think It's Gonna Rain, Troika, Dancer And The Moon, The Moon Is Shining are a bit pop rock style with electric guitar. The Last Leaf, The Ashgrove, Somewhere Over The Sea, The Spinner's Tale are soothing with Candice's beautiful voice. Minstrels In The Hall and Galliard are good instrumental on acoustic guitars. Lady In Black and Temple Of The King are wonderfully presented cover versions originally performed by Uriah Heep and Rainbow respectively. Carry On Jon (I thought it is cover of Gary Moore's The Loner) with Hammond B3 organ and Ritchie Blackmore's style guitar sounds like Blackmore's Night now rocks.

Past couple of months, I have been bombarding my ears with all these latest metal/rock albums by Megadeth, Black Sabbath, The Winery Dogs, Anvil, Black Star Riders, Tom Keifer (Cinderella), Joe Satriani and Deep Purple. Dancer And The Moon is giving my ears a peaceful, blissful, joyful sensation and I love it.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 1:43 PM BST

Super Collider
Super Collider
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Appetite For Metal Mind, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Super Collider (MP3 Download)
I never enjoyed any album by Megadeth as much as So Far So Good So What when I was a long haired head banging teenager that time. I have listened to their not all but most albums. Super Collider is as good as or maybe better than the previous one Th1rt3en. From beginning to end, it hit my head like a sledgehammer and I loved it that way in my headphones all night. I didn't want to skip any single track. Kingmaker, Super Collider, Burn, Built For War, Off The Edge, The Blackest Crow, Don't Turn Your Back are my favourites. That means almost all which means obvious 4 stars. All last week I was heavily engaged in Black Star Riders having nostalgic memory of Thin Lizzy. I was more than happy to hear Cold Sweat at the end. What a coincidence. David Ellefson (bass player and co-founder) returned on the last album and stays until this one. Good thing. Hail Megadeth ! \,,/,

Addendum -
(5 Jun 2013)
I missed the gig at Brixton Academy tonight. Anyway, 3rd day in a row that I am playing this album on my iPod. Maybe over hundred plays. Honestly I am loving this album too much too much too much. I think this album is the smoothest they have and sounds a bit hair metal and/or blues. Even after MP3 download, I thought I must have the physical CD format for my good CD collection and I ended up ordering it. I wouldn't mind twice the cost for good music. Previously given 4 stars is now 5.

Winery Dogs
Winery Dogs
Price: 53.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unholy Trinity Of The Virtuosos, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Winery Dogs (Audio CD)
This version (for which the review is written) is Japanese release in May which is always exceedingly expensive and delivery takes longer. The UK release date is July that is too long to go. Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony and Chad Smith gave us Chickenfoot. Now Billy Sheehan, Mark Portnoy and Richie Kotzen, the power trio The Winery Dogs.

The official release of the videos 'Elevate', 'Desire' and 'I'm No Angel' plus the audio 'We Are One' assured it's gonna be the best album, the best supergroup and the most wanted show of the year. The rest of the songs must be equally the best.

Here is the track listing -
1 Elevate

Limited Edition/Japanese Bonus DVD -
1 Elevate
2 Desire
3 I'm No Angel

Mike Portnoy described the project as mixing 70's classic rock (Zeppelin, Hendrix, Grand Funk) with modern ones (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Black Crowes). Elevate as we know already sounds like Black Dog. Desire and We Are One pleased my ears like Mr. Big. I'm No Angel is a beautiful bluesy ballad.

Richie's voice is amazing that I could not believe it was him when I heard his solo albums the first time years ago. His bluesy voice in perfect pitch and pace playing guitar riffs and rhythm at the same time. Why in God's name is he underrated (like another great guitar player Greg Howe) and known to many as only Poison's guitarist who replaced CC Deville and Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big? The Winery Dogs will expose him. Billy Sheehan (Eddie Van Halen of the bass) and Mike Portnoy (the backbone of the majestic Dream Theater) need no introduction here.

The three amigos wanted dead or alive. I have pre-ordered my copy The Winery Dogs and my ticket for O2 Islington in September. Have you?
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2013 11:12 AM BST

Hope In Hell
Hope In Hell
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Anvil stays true to its name, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Hope In Hell (Audio CD)
I never heard about Anvil in the 80's. Honestly, never ever. That's until The Story Of Anvil, the documentary released in 2008. Two school buddies, Steve 'Lips' Kudlow and Robb Reiner, with rock 'n' roll dreams who once toured with Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake as Anvil but didn't become quiet successful as their peers and then hit rock bottom. God knows why the band said to have influenced even the big four is so underrated. That's probably the record companies. Anyway I decided to support the band and bought This Is Thirteen (2007), the latest album at the time and next Juggernaut Of Justice (2011) and then old and so-called their best Metal On Metal (1982) which are all solid metal. I became a fan, a late fan. Better late than never I guess. Again I could not not keep my hands off of this new Hope In Hell which is as heavy as other albums. Hail Anvil ! \,,/,

All Hell Breaks Loose [Special Edition]
All Hell Breaks Loose [Special Edition]
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The reincarnation or the evolution of Thin Lizzy, 27 May 2013
The current members of Thin Lizzy continuing the legacy of the band after the legend Phil Lynott through many line-ups and tour, decided to do an album but with different name. Hence, Black Star Riders with this stunning classic rock album All Hell Breaks Loose.

Thin Lizzy is no Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott. Here, Scott Gorham on guitar is the only remaining and long term band member who has worked with Phil. Ricky Warwick on vocal, Damon Johnson on guitar and Marco Mendoza on bass (not to be confused with Marc 'The Animal' Mendoza of Twisted Sister), they all joined long after Phil. Brian Downey, the only original member along with Phil until the last stand, didn't stay with Black Star Riders and Jimmy DeGrasso replaced him on drums. So, that's Black Star Riders, a new band or Thin Lizzy reincarnated or evolved and Kevin Shirley, who has worked on great albums with Aerosmith, Journey, Iron Maiden, Joe Bonamassa, etc., producing the debut album.

When I discovered Thin Lizzy in the late 80's, Phil Lynott had already left us. That was 'Live Life' the double cassette, my first Lizzy album. I still listen to their music wishing Phil was still alive. Bound For Glory, typical Lizzy style track chosen by band members for airplay, is resemblance to Boys Are Back In Town and/or Waiting For An Alibi. When I close my eyes, I can hear Phil in Ricky Warwick's voice. Ricky is a marvellous singer. Even Gary Moore can be felt as in the celtic style number 'Kingdom Of The Lost' which reminds me of Wild Frontier. From top to bottom the album just rocks, rocks and rocks. Other of my favourites are self-titled opener, Bloodshot, Kissin' The Ground, Hoodoo Voodoo and Valley Of The Stones. It's playing more growing rapidly. Hey Judas is my personal favourite. The name may sound like anti-christ but it's not. It's about Jesus still loving Judas even after what he did.

The special edition disc comes in a beautiful silver booklet consisting of pages full of lyrics, production info and stunning photographs of the band. On the left pouch goes audio CD with one bonus track making it 12 in total and on the right pouch goes DVD containing one hour long making of the album mostly interviews. On the package it says, 'Songs that could slip onto a Thin Lizzy album and stand shoulder to shoulder with almost anything there' by Classic Rock. I could not agree more.

All Hell Breaks Loose is one of the best rock albums I am listening to these recent days. Others being Now What?! by Deep Purple, The Way Life Goes by Tom Keifer (Cinderella), Unstoppable Momentum by Joe Satriani to name a few.

Thin Lizzy rocks! So does Black Star Riders!
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,

*FREE SHIPPING* Jim Dunlop Tortex Guitar Picks / Plectrums: 1.14mm (Handy pack of 12 Picks)
Offered by Dirty Riffs Guitar Shop
Price: 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ones for me., 19 May 2013
Different guitar players use plectrums with different thickness, sizes and shapes. It's all onto individual preferences and musical needs. I play with few different picks depending on guitars, strings and music. For instance, thin one for strumming rhythm on acoustic guitars. But when I rock with my electric guitar on Di'Addario Super Light Gauge (009-042) Nickel Wound stings and sometimes Ernie Ball, 1.14mm thick triangular plectrum is what I need. Then I can play with lot of ease. Brands didn't matter before. But these exact Dunlop Totex 1.14 purple ones are what I've been using for long time now and I feel very very comfortable holding, gripping, hitting chords and throwing solos. I keep dozens of them in my gig bag, wallet and jeans as I always lose them. Guitarists' problem if you know what I mean. Wherever I see these ones, I just buy at least one. I stopped looking elsewhere. \,,/,

United World Rebellion: Chapte
United World Rebellion: Chapte
Offered by themediamerchants
Price: 6.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Skid Row Is Back To Rock!, 11 May 2013
Sebastian Bach is what Skid Row is to me. Doesn't mean Rachel Bolan, Dave Sabo, Scotti Hill are nothing. Them four plus Rob Affuso sounds complete. That's because all the albums of theirs I have is Skid Row (1989) and Slave To The Grind (1991) which I rocked to most in my teens. I didn't listen to Subhuman Race (1995) that much. After that I didn't care anymore as I learnt Bach left. So no way I ever knew about Johnny Solinger. Good news these days is many of my music heroes and favourite bands are coming back with good albums. For instance, this one Tom Keifer (Cinderella) with The Way Life Goes. I searched for more and found this EP. At first I thought it was Bach. But Johnny Solinger is the perfect replacement for him. 'This Is Killing Me' brings nostalgic memories of 'I Remember You'. The rest four are good rocking. Now, I don't like this EP business. What I don't understand is Chapter One now and maybe expect Chapter Two later for another cost. Why not make a good full album at once? Anyway this EP rocks. The rating is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. \,,/,
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2013 8:48 AM BST

The Way Life Goes
The Way Life Goes
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 9.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Surprise !, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Way Life Goes (Audio CD)
Cinderella was one of my favourite bands in the 80's and still is. The metal sounding band in Night Songs (1986) became a little softer in Long Cold Winter (1988) and bluesy rock 'n' roll band in Heartbreak Station (1990) and stayed that way until Still Climbing (1994) and gone. The first three albums are my favourites equally. I did not listen to the last album that much at the time. I waited Cinderella to give us another good album for long. I thought like most bands of the 80's, they also stopped making albums and disappeared although I got to hear them of touring here and there.

Now it caught me by surprise to learn from Amazon about this album. And here it is. No metal. It's all rock 'n' roll. It would be far more better if it came out under the name Cinderella. I would enjoy more that way, honestly. But it doesn't matter. Good music is good music. The opener 'Solid Ground' is kinda The More Things Change. After the intro riffs when Tom screams 'Yeah!', I was like that's Cinderella, man! Had goose bumps. After all he went through vocal cord problem, Tom's voice still sounds like he used to.

The standard CD has 10 paged booklet with all the lyrics and production info. Savannah Snow Keifer, Tom's wife, co-writes and co-produces the album. I could find Heartbreak Station in 'A Different Light' and 'Ask Me Yesterday'. 'Thick And Thin' is piano ballad reminds me of Don't Know What You Got. More of The More Things Changed are all throughout 'It's Not Enough', 'Cold Day In Hell', 'Mood Elevator', 'Babylon'. The Way Life Goes is more like Heartbreak Station in my opinion. I won't be wrong to say I'm listening to Cinderella actually. You like Cinderella, this got to be the album for you.

Enjoy music!
Rock 'N' Roll
\,,/,

Unstoppable Momentum
Unstoppable Momentum
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I simply loved this album, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Unstoppable Momentum (Audio CD)
I always say Steve Vai is my number one favourite guitar player from the beginning. But when I think about it, it takes me back to cassette days when a salesman recommended then the latest release 'Flying In A Blue Dream' and played 'Flying In A Blue Dream' and it blew me away. That was Joe Satriani's introduction to me and my first step into the genre or into the world of guitar instrumental rock. That time I only knew Vai as a DLR's guitarist.

Since, I have been collecting studio albums, live CDs, DVDs and books by Joe from 'Not Of This Earth' to 'Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards', saw him live 3 times and looking forward to meeting him this June. There is something very special in his playing style, tone and his music that holds me back. No matter what he does. New music or same thing over and over.

Vai in a masterclass said that having Joe as his one time guitar teacher is vai-advantage. There is similarity in both's playing style. Steve went on to make heavy music while Joe stayed on making simple beautiful melodies or groups of melodic phrases, using his unique whammy-bar techniques. If you know what I mean. I'm easily drawn into his music. I find hell lot of good tunes there. Either as a solo artist or Chickenfoot.

Over-expectation will definitely disappoint fans. But 'A Door Into Summer' was available to preview already. I was listening to it almost everyday. So I could expect more or less the same thing what Joe has previously done, even though he said in an interview that he wants to do new things with new line ups. I'm not sure what he meant by that. No Jeff Campitelli or Galen Henson or Dave LaRue or Stu Hamm. Totally new line ups but same ole beautiful music. You may call it a supergroup as there are well known musicians. Mike Keneally on keyboards, Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and Chris Chaney on bass.

The cover is stunning Mr. Satriani with glamourous Ibanez. Speaking about some of my instant favourite tracks in the album. The opener 'Unstoppable Momentum' is catchy with compound time signature. 'Can't Go Back' is like fast version of Crush Of Love. 'Lies And Truth' could fit into Engines Of Creation. 'I'll Put A Stone In Your Cairn' is haunting and mournful as if Joe is paying tribute from the heart to somebody he loves. 'A Door Into Summer' sounds bit of Ten Words and If I Could Fly. 'Shine On American Dreamer' is my Summer Song. 'Jumpin' In' is Satch Boogie II?

I don't know if I am writing biased review here. But I admit I am just simply loving this album from the beginning unlike the two previous 'Professor Satchfunkilus...' and 'Black Swans...' that took me a while to like them. I am playing this album non-stop and listening to every note. After Unstoppable Momentum, Deep Purple's 'Now What?!' is having a break from my player which was going round and round continuously since its release exactly one week ago. Oh yes! Not to forget Joe was once Deep Purple's touring guitarist before Steve Morse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17