Profile for Sangeet Rcknrol > Reviews

Apple iPhone 5c 16GB Blue SIM-Free Smartphone
Offered by Citi Harvest
Price: 389.98

5.0 out of 5 stars C IS FOR COLOUR, 8 Oct 2013
I don't know why I love Apple. Obsessed? I have been using iPhone 4 for the last 2 years or so. Missed 4s and 5 but I know them from friends'. Upgrade time now. Waiting for 5s. But these new colourful batch of 5c caught my attention. Could not think of anything else. OCD thing? And finally here I am with my choice of this beautiful blue 16GB iPhone 5c.

The latest upgraded version in iPhone is 5s after the previous one 5. This 5c is just a slight modification to 5. You can always check and compare the technical specification on Apple or Amazon or other sites. They say its back is made of plastic but it doesn't look like it. It's very shiny and smooth that can be scratched or slipped from your hand easily. Need one protective case immediately. It's slim, light, tall and sexy. With default IOS7 blue screen looks very cool. Enough of black and white world of iPhones. I feel colourful.

BEWARE -
Although it didn't happen to me, many buyers have issues with iPhones bought from Amazon. Because they are sold by sellers and not Amazon directly. Issues are like,
- 'UNLOCKED' phones turn to be 'LOCKED' to one network.
- 'OPENED' phones are sold as 'NEW'.
- Phones are 'USA' version which may cause issues with 'UK' sims.
These phones are usually non-refundable once opened from the box. And without opening and using, you won't know what's going on. So just be careful!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars C IS FOR COLOUR, 8 Oct 2013

BEWARE -
- 'UNLOCKED' phones turn to be 'LOCKED' to one network.
- 'OPENED' phones are sold as 'NEW'.
- Phones are 'USA' version which may cause issues with 'UK' sims.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 9:18 PM GMT

Sammy Hagar & Friends
Sammy Hagar & Friends
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bluesy, Rock 'N' Roll Sammy!, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sammy Hagar & Friends (Audio CD)
My fav Sammy albums are I Never Said Goodbye and Three Lock Box, plus Van Halen's OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance and of course Chickenfoot. I was too young to listen to Montrose then and I did not fancy The Waboritas and Cosmic Universal Fashion much. If you are expecting When The Hammer Falls Down, Give To Live, Eagles Fly, Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy, then that rocking heavy metal Sammy Hagar is long gone. This is the red rocker getting together with friends, partying, jamming, making blues rock 'n' roll music using electric guitars, slide guitars, acoustic guitars, bass, drums, mandolin, tambourine, accordion and having a lot of fun. I had fun listening too.

Featuring friends -
1. Winding Down :
(Taj Mahal/Dave Zirbel/John Cuniberti/Mona Gnader/Vic Johnson)
2. Not Going Down :
(Vic Johnson/Bill Church/Dave Zirbel/Denny Carmassi/Claytovern Richardson/Sandy Griffith/Omega Rae)
3. Personal Jesus :
(Neal Schon/Michael Anthony/Chad Smith/Claytoven Richardsosn/Sandy Griffith/Mega Rae)
4. Father Sun :
(Vic Johnson/Mona Gnader/Andre Thiery/James Deprato/Denny Carmassi/Aaron Hagar/John Cuniberti/Erica Cuniberti)
5. Knockdown Dragout :
(Kid Rock/Vic Johnson/Joe Satriani/Denny Carmassi/Mona Gnader/John Cuniberti)
6. Ramblin' Gamblin' Man :
(Vic Johnson/David Lauser/Mona Gnader/Susie Davis/John Cuniberti/Claytoven Richardson/Sandy Griffith/Omega Rae)
7. Bad On Fords And Chevrolets :
(Ronnie Dunn/Vic Johnson/Dave Zirbel/David Lauser/Mona Gnader/Austin De Lone)
8. Margaritaville :
(Toby Keith/Karl Perazza/Ruth Davies/Paul Revelli/Bill Kirchen/Austin De Lone/Mona Gnader/Caroline De Lone)
9. All We Need Is An Island :
(Dave Zirbel/Mickey Hart/Nancy Wilson)
10. Going Down :
(Neal Schon/Michael Anthony/Chad Smith)

Enjoy!
Rock 'n' roll \,,/,

Spirit
Spirit
Price: 12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars True Attitude And SPIRIT Of The Heavy Metal Music We All Grew Up Listening To, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Spirit (Audio CD)
I Love Heavy Metal
I Can't Get Enough. Can't Get Enough ...
Yes that's the Spirit.

We all headbangers fancied the pictures of a skull and devil horns to appear on the cassettes/CDs we owned and the black tee shirts we wore in our teens. Still we don't know why. The art cover featuring two pairs of vivid colourful tribal masks or face paints that look like skulls is what enticed me to buying the physical CD of this Reckless Love's third album and not just download MP3s. A handful of good bands like Airbourne, Steel Panther, Crashdiet, Alter Bridge, Reckless Love and few others are here amidst the new generation of 21st century trying to get the sound of the 80s/early 90s heavy metal. Reckless Love's debut self titled album Reckless Love and the follow up Animal Attraction were just good or OK I thought. But this 'Spirit' turns out to have extra special ingredients in it.

The band has presented this album so cleverly and creatively (or maybe subconsciously) that the guitar riffs, the rhythms and beats of a song, the chord progressions or the vocal line in choruses and verses, one or the other stand out as a strong reminder of some famous songs of the genre from the 80s/early 90s. For instance, at the intro of the opener 'Night On Fire', I thought Aerosmith's 'Eat The Rich' will start. The mid eight interlude section in 'I Love Heavy Metal' sounds similar to the one from 'Love In An Elevator' by Aerosmith. Riff of 'Favorite Flavor' immediately reminded me of 'Armed And Ready' by MSG and 'I'll Take You Alive' by Twisted SIster. The first verse in 'Sex, Drugs And Reckless Love' I thought they were gonna sing 'Knee Deep In The Hoopla ...' by Starship. On the same song's chorus, you can sing along 'It's A Crazy, Crazy, Crazy, Crazy Nights' by Kiss. The riff in 'Dying To Live' is very much like 'Gods Of War' by Def Leppard. Quiet Riot did 'Metal Heart' and these four awesome guys from Finland are doing 'Metal Ass'. The guitar tone of 'Runaway Love' gives an impression as if Eddie Van Halen is playing 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love'. Last but not least, vocal line on the verse of 'Hot Rain' goes along with outro of 'Purple Rain' by Prince.

Don't get me wrong. This is neither my criticism on the band nor research on the album. I didn't do any homework here. This is how I instantly and honestly felt as I played along 'Spirit' from the first play. This maybe only my assumption. Thousands of good songs in the market of course do sound like one another. This album is so very well created and crafted by the band members as well as the producers Ilkka Wirtanen. Listeners can easily and memorably hum along anthems which are obviously targeted for the concert audience. 'Na Na Na Na! Whoa! Yeah!' etc. A replica of 80s/early 90s heavy metal that we all grew up listening to. Heavy and tight bass and drums and guitar from top to bottom. On top of everything, Olli Herman sounds so much like Ted Poley of Danger Danger. Such a beautiful, high pitched, melodious voice he has. I find a lot of Danger Danger, Motley Crue, Def Leppard all over the place. And for being able to play guitar myself, I can say Pepe Salohalme can really rock. \,,/, Simply, I love this album so much that made me love this band Reckless Love like I loved my heavy metal heroes which are all mentioned in 'I Love Heavy Metal', the third track that says it all about this band.

Have A Lot Of Sex, Little Drugs And Reckless Love!
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,

Fuzz Universe
Fuzz Universe
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have had enough of Mr. Gilbert, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fuzz Universe (Audio CD)
By knowing what he can do in six strings wizardry, I wished to have instrumental album from Paul Gilbert for long. We know he is such an amazing singer too doing backing vocal in Mr. Big and lead vocal in old school solo albums like King Of Clubs, Burning Organ, Flying Dog, Spaceship One. I never had enough of his guitar playing. I wished it. And there you go. Came out 'Get Out Of My Yard', 'Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar' and this 'Fuzz Universe'. Each getting better and better. The latest 'Vibrato' is different. Not completely instrumental but with vocal and jazzy bluesy music more than rock music. Fuzz Universe is just an amazing album. Not a single track I wanted to skip. Thank you Mr. Gilbert. We want more.
\,,/,

Dream Theater
Dream Theater
Price: 11.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater's Dream Theater, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess and John Myung once again went to the studio and recorded their instrumental virtuosity with marvellous voice of James LaBrie and the chosen replacement of Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini. And what we get is Dream Theater, the self titled album.

I was cynical about Mike Portnoy departing from the band in the previous album. But the video of drummers' audition made me warmly welcome Mike Mangini onboard. I don't miss Mike Portnoy at all because he is doing absolutely fine with Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen in The Winery Dogs. They rock. So let's leave Mr. Portnoy alone.

They got me as a serious fan from 'Images And Words' to the last 'A Dramatic Turn Of Events'. The commercially successful big boys of progressive metal genre, proficiently like no other, deliver heavy riffs, fast and slow guitar and keyboard solos, complicated rhythms, rhythm changes, key changes, time signature changes, tempo changes which is all great joy to listen to. But today in 20 years, what I find is that the same band who gave us Pull Me Under, Metropolis, Another Day, etc. are becoming the band who just go to the studio, take out the instruments, start jamming and say, 'That riff is awesome, dude! Let's record it!'. Then another album is ready with worldwide publicity and a big name. That's talking of the band from what I knew to what I know.

The early albums have more of memorable melodies and catchy lyrics. The later ones have more of improvisational intensity. Musical maturity or repetitive rendition, orchestral intros, bridges and outros of a segment or unnecessarily lengthy piece, it's all there. The last two albums took me a while to follow whereas this one just instantly got me. Maybe I set myself into a progressive mood for long, preparing for its release today since the prerelease of 'Along For The Ride'.

'False Awakening Suite' is the overture to the 12th album or the 2nd to feature Mike Mangini. Heavy and furious guitar riffed 'The Enemy Inside' may nicely fit into Octavarium. Melodic and catchy 'The Looking Glass' became my instant favourite (Innocence Faded, I Walk Beside You type) and played in my iPod many times. 'Enigma Machine' is typical DT signature instrumental track. It took me three or four listens to favour 'The Bigger Picture', 'Behind The Veil' and 'Surrender To Reason'. I really liked these now. 'Along For The Ride' is a beautiful ballad. And the 22 minutes instrumental orchestra 'Illumination Theory' closes the album. So that's Dream Theater's Dream Theater.

Enjoy music!
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 3:21 PM BST

Loveless Fascination
Loveless Fascination
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Build The City Again, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Loveless Fascination (Audio CD)
Yes Mickey Thomas I know the voice. Greatest Hits (Ten Years And Change 1979-1991) and The Very Best Of Starship - We Built This City are the only albums I know about Starship. The lineups and band name changes I would never understand because I could not be bothered as long as the good music like We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now mattered. I discovered the band in the movie Mannequin when I was also a teenager and in love. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now is my one of hundred favourite songs from the 80s. The band is among my favourite bands. What a coincidence that listening to the song again wondering what the band is up to in the new millennium, I found this album online only tonight. Listened to samples and immediately downloaded the album. This is a good album which still has the 80's pop rock feel. Romantic ballads, heavy piano, melodic electric guitar bring the nostalgic memory of the past. Feels good listening to it. I loved this album very very very much. Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,

Passion And Warfare
Passion And Warfare
Price: 5.02

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Instrumental Rock Album Ever, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Passion And Warfare (Audio CD)
Skyscraper and Eat 'Em And Smile were already my favourite DLR albums mostly because of the unique guitar playing I never heard before. It must've been the late 80's or early 90's. I saw Passion And Warfare art cover advert on the magazine. It was so cool that I could not help myself from buying it at once. It sounded different and weird compared to Joe Satriani's Flying In A Blue Dream. I packed it up and gifted to my brother. Later I got more into the genre and guitar itself. Bought the album for the second time. Now it stands as one of my top favourite albums and sits on top of my CD library.

Kill 'Em All
Kill 'Em All
Price: 5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Metal Album Ever, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Kill 'Em All (Audio CD)
It was the late 80's, a friend lent me a cassette Kill 'Em All. One listen and I returned it back to him saying, 'No thank you'. I was just stepping into rock music that time with Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Poison and all that hair metal bands. Time went by and I started to feel the beauty of rock and metal music. I was going heavier and heavier with Motley Crue, Cinderella, WASP and all that. I ended up getting myself the latest release 'And Justice For All'. That's when I liked Metallica for the first time. I bought Kill 'Em All and that's it. It has become the best metal album in my library.

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Offered by Pebble & Co
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 3 July 2013
A tiny ball like device, a little smaller than a tennis ball and when you connect it to iPhone or iPod or laptop, comes out the loud bassy sound good enough for your room. Who could have believed it? I did not believe my eyes and ears at first.

Obviously it doesn't do the job like the proper hi-fi system. But definitely good enough for your car when you're diving, kitchen when you're cooking or bathroom when you're bathing without waking up the neighbours. Mostly my classic rock albums I can hear guitar solos, vocal, bass, drums clearly. Yes, when the player is turned to the fullest volume, this is distorted. I guess the loudest volume in any system is the problem.

Sadly the purpose I bought it for, it did not quiet resolve it. I needed it at work to avoid using earphones. But in a bit noisy environment, music coming out from my shirt's pocket is hardly audible. Not fault in the system. Sorry I had to give it away.

Nice invention though.