Profile for Mr. Bluesman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Back On Earth
Back On Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars A Passion To Rock, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Back On Earth (MP3 Download)
I came across Girish And The Chronicles (GATC) couple of years ago on YouTube. It is the song 'Golden Crown', a football theme song in their hometown in Sikkim. The song constantly reminded me of 'Separate Ways' by Journey which made me dig more about the band. I found more from them covering songs of my favourite bands such as GN'R, AC/DC, Skid Row, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden and etc. that I grew up listening to.

I became an immediate fan of Girish Pradhan. His melodic, energetic and high pitched screaming voice has resemblance of Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) and alike. And The Chronicles consists of 3 other musicians - Suraz Karki on lead guitars, Yogesh Pradhan on bass and Nagen Mongranti on drums to equally match Girish's gifted voice and complete a successful touring band in India as well as the Southeast Asia.

When I learnt that the band is releasing their debut album soon, I was excited. And here it is. 'Back On Earth' defines GATC as blues oriented hard rock heavy metal band sounding like the 70s/80s to which any diehard fan of the genre like myself would wanna headbang. It has been more than a week since the album release that I am passionately and endlessly rocking and rolling to it.

The first 6 tracks in a row, 1 End Of Civilization, 2 Shot By The Cupid, 3 Hey You, 4 I Wanna Get That Lovin', 5 Born With A Big Attitude and 6 Loaded, hit you like a hammer. A solid dose of Rock 'N' Roll. You can not go wrong with it. It's all mind blowing. The 7th track Angel (like the 7th song in any Steve Vai's albums) brings all the excitements and emotions down to sentimental sensation. Then 8 Revolving Barrell, 9 Ride To Hell and 10 Golden Crown raise the roof again waking up the neighbours. The final tracks, 11 A New Beginning, 12 Yesteryears and 13 Smile Little Child leave you happy with soft, feel-good music.

The cover art of the CD represents the heavy metal era of the 80s. Like Eddie, it tempts me to buy the physical CD even after digital download from iTunes. The lyrics are also about issues that any band from the time would want to write about - war, children, world, loving etc. In another words, it's all about devil horns and sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Yeah!!!

Honestly speaking, last time I listened to a band who reminds me of my guitar heroes. Reckless Love from Finland. Now here is another. Girish And The Chronicles. They simply rock the best.

\m/,

Stone Pushing Uphill Man
Stone Pushing Uphill Man

3.0 out of 5 stars No Boo ... No Wow, 18 Aug 2014
I have been Paul Gilbert's fan since Mr. Big. From his old school rock albums King Of Clubs, Flying Dog and Burning Organ AND instrumental Get Out Of My Yard, Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar and Fuzz Universe, I know my expectations. I was not sure at first but later I liked Vibrato also. BUT Stone Pushing Uphill Man, I just don't know what to say about it. I got it on the release day, still listening to it for a week but it did not grow on me and I know it won't, that's it. This is full of cover songs and Paul only did the improvisation because that's all he is doing here. The technical ability is all there but not just THAT soulful playing. Sorry!

The Studio Albums 1992-2011
The Studio Albums 1992-2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice package for album collectors like me, 22 July 2014
Dream Theater studio albums -
01 (1989) WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/Dominici/Moore)
02 (1992) *IMAGES AND WORDS - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Moore)
03 (1994) *AWAKE - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Moore)
04 (1997) *FALLING INTO INFINITY - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Sherinian)
05 (1999) *METROPOLIS PART 2 - SCENES FROM A MEMORY - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
06 (2002) *SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
07 (2003) *TRAIN OF THOUGHT - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
08 (2005) *OCTAVARIUM - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
09 (2007) *SYSTEMATIC CHAOS - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
10 (2009) *BLACK CLOUDS AND SILVER LINING - (Petrucci/Myung/Portnoy/LaBrie/Rudess)
11 (2011) *A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS - (Petrucci/Myung/Mangini/LaBrie/Rudess)
12 (2013) DREAM THEATER - (Petrucci/Myung/Mangini/LaBrie/Rudess)

These are the official 12 DT studio albums in the order of their release where marked with * are included in the boxset. What's missing here are 2 albums, the first and the latest. Hence one star less. In fact, it doesn't matter to me because I have them all in my collection. I'm a big follower. Seen them live twice. But having included those 2 albums would entitle this a 'Complete Studio Albums'. That would be great. Still glad to have all 6 albums from 'Metropolis Part 2' to 'Black Clouds And Silver Lining' that feature the famous lineups of John Petrucci, John Myung, Mike Portnoy, James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess. My fav lineups. I call them fab five.

What's in the boxset is 10 albums that go in their separate sleeves with the front and back album art covers. No lyrics, liner notes and photographs as one would expect in standard albums. And the sleeves go in the boxset which you can see in the description picture. No remastered. Better than the MP3 downloads. Worth the money.

Thanks. :-) \m/,

Redeemer of Souls
Redeemer of Souls

4.0 out of 5 stars For worshippers of the Priest, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Redeemer of Souls (Audio CD)
It's been a long time since Turbo, Ram It Down and Painkiller when I was a huge worshipper of the Priest. That was long haired me with torn jeans, leather jackets and heavy boots. After that I changed my direction to instrumental rock such as Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. I am still not sure if I liked the last Nostradamus. But I am fully enjoying this new album regardless of line-ups. I love Rob Halford. I liked the album art just like the Painkiller's. The album is blasting in my iPod since I received my pre-ordered copy yesterday. My favourites are Dragonaut, Redeemer Of Souls, Halls Of Valhalla, March Of The Damned, Crossfire and still more adding. Hail Priest \m/,
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 4:09 PM GMT

Apple MF056ZM/A Smart Cover for iPad Air- Green
Apple MF056ZM/A Smart Cover for iPad Air- Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully perfect but ..., 24 Jun 2014
You know that Apple products are made of very high quality smooth aluminium. So smooth that they can easily slip from your hands and/or get scratched. I needed the genuine cover for iPad Air urgently. At the competitive price, I got this one from Amazon.

The design is smart as the name says. It amazed me. It automatically makes the iPad go to sleep mode when it's covered and wakes it when it's opened. The magnetic hinge fits perfectly the side of the iPad that you don't have to struggle to align even a bit and it covers the front protectively. But it does not cover the back and the other three sides at all. If you want your iPad to reveal its beautiful bare back, this is just perfect. It can be folded in a triangular shape so that iPad rests on it in upright position horizontally or vertically and you enjoy movies. The colour is cool green if you want to be colourful. There are other colours available too.

The box comes in a nice slim box with Apple logo in it which means it's not any third party product. The material is really of very good quality. Just because it's not useful for my purpose which is to protect the back, I had to return it. For that reason, one star is less. Else it's just beautiful.

Xscape
Xscape

4.0 out of 5 stars Resurrection?, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Xscape (Audio CD)
This time again I was sceptical. After listening to prerelease of the opener Love Never Felt So Good, I was convinced, pre-ordered the deluxe version and started the countdown.

Expectation of hits like Beat It, Billie Jean, Bad, Black Or White, Thriller is just a foolishness. The producers had access to archives and came out with this. These are songs Michael recorded but never made to the albums at the time.

You may call it the leftovers or the B-sides. But I lost my words out of joy or nostalgia. Took me back to childhood/teens when I was a huge fan just like any ordinary ones around the globe.

I prefer the original demo versions a lot more. 'Love Never Felt So Good' and 'Loving You' have vibe of the 70s/80s soul, R&B, mo-town. Sounds earlier albums or even Jackson 5. 'A Place With No Name' is groovy version of America's A Horse With No Name. 'Do You Know Where Your Children Are' and 'Slave To The Rhythm' is typical 80s/90s disco pop thing. 'Blue Gangsta' is a bit dark and 007 theme type. The title track 'Xscape' will surely make big on the dance floor. The bonus DVD has 20+ minutes video about producers talking on the Xscape project and they take you inside the studios they were working on.

If Michael was still alive, he would have done it differently. But this second posthumous album is much better.

Long live the king!
Miss you!
\,,/,

Strange Beautiful Music
Strange Beautiful Music
by Jake Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Making Of The Albums' rather than an autobiography, 24 April 2014
As the title says, Strange Beautiful Music (same name of his 2002 album), this book is about Joe Satriani's music. It is not an autobiography like most of us fans were expecting. This is in-depth of making of his albums from Not Of This Earth to Unstoppable Momentum. This musical memoir came out at the same time as the boxset The Complete Studio Recordings. That boxset and this book are companion. The similar photography on the covers of both products says it all.

It is presented in a video documentary style. In every topic, there is Joe telling his story and in addition, other musicians, engineers, producers telling their side of story to support it as if they are being interviewed by Jake Brown. This is the journey of how Joe Satriani evolved musically from time of The Squares (his band before becoming famous) to his last album in 2013 and anything bewteen, i.e., Deep Purple, Mick Jagger, G3, Chickenfoot. This book covers mostly technical side like which amps and mics, guitars and gears were used in which particular songs and albums, the recording techniques, ideas and influences of the songs etc.

I could not wait to read this book until the publish of hardcopy. I downloaded the digital format earlier this month and devoured on my iPhone wherever I traveled, whenever I got a chance. It gets very interesting if you seek not his personal life story but the inside story of his music that influenced and adored by all generation of guitar players around the globe. As they call him - 'The guitarist of guitarists. The musician of musicians.' A slow reader like me finished in less than a month.

Enjoy reading!
\m/,

The Complete Studio Recordings
The Complete Studio Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars I Ain't A Satch Fan If I Ain't Got This., 23 April 2014
Flying In A Blue Dream has the biggest impact on me. Since, I have become a dying/hardcore/extremist/completist/biggest fan of Joe. I saw him live 4 times, met him last time and every time he is in town I will be there. It's exciting when Joe is releasing new albums or DVDs or books. I never missed any of his new release to date. I never get enough of his strange beautiful music. So much obsession that even after having collected all his albums from Not Of This Earth to Unstoppable Momentum, I thought I must have this boxset and I'm proud to have one.

Yes, all the 15 discs are packed on cardboard sleeves (approx. 2-3mm thick) unlike Original Album Classics 2008 and Original Album Classics 2013 as I thought prior to purchase. On the side of each sleeve are printed names of albums and Joe Satriani's. The front and and back of the sleeves have exact same album covers and track lists (but not with good resolution. no big deal for me). And the 15 of these sleeves go in the hard (not easily breakable and approx. 5.5cm) cardboard box with 32 paged booklet containing words, photographs and infos, credits, musicians album by album. Nice going through it listening to Joe's music again. Back of the box has all albums small pictures. Front of the box, you all know. :-)

Everything is remastered again by John Cuniberti who has worked in Joe's almost every album. The man was always there for him. In original CDs or the previously remastered ones, I found the volume was not levelled compared to each other. On this one, the level is all equalised. All on the same level. That's what I enjoyed most.

For those who maybe wondering what's new here. The new thing (or maybe not new at all) is 'Additional Creations And Bonus Tracks' which has the following listing. Actually 'Additional Creations' was bonus EP (with 4 extra tracks mentioned below 5-8) came with Engines Of Creation, limited edition in 2000.

01 THE CRUSH OF LOVE - [Previously released on EP Dreaming #11]
02 TIME MACHINE (REMIX) - [Newly released. Original version on Time Machine]
03 COOL #9 (ALT VERSION) - [Newly released. Original version on Joe Satriani]
04 LUMINOUS FLESH GIANTS (ALT VERSION) - [Newly released. Original version on Joe Satriani]
05 BORG SEX (ROCK MIX) - [Previously released on EP Additional Creation]
06 TURKEY MAN - [Previously released on EP Additional Creation]
07 FLAVOUR CRYSTAL 7 (ROCK MIX) - [Previously released on EP Additional Creation]
08 UNTIL WE SAY GOOD BYE (TECHNO MIX) - [Previously released on EP Additional Creation]
09 SLICK - [Previously released on The Electric Joe Satriani : An Anthology]
10 THE EIGHT STEPS - [Previously released on Strange Beautiful Music, US edition]
11 DOG WITH CROWN AND EARRING - [Previously released on Is There Love In Space?, Japan edition]
12 TUMBLE - [Previously released on Is There Love In Space?, iTunes edition]
13 GHOSTS - [Previously released on The Essential Joe Satriani]
14 HEARTBEATS - [Previously released on Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards, limited edition]
15 LONGING - [Previously released on Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards, limited edition]
16 ZZ'S SONG (ALT VERSION) - [Newly released. Original version on Crystal Planet]
Basically, Joe has not written anything new particularly for this release as I was hoping for. No big fuss.

That's all to say. Little problem was the sealed box came with the booklet missing pages. Very upset. But now returned and replaced with new one by Amazon. I am lucky to have pre-ordered in time at less price than what it is now. This is small, cute, beautiful, stylish box that looks nice and sits next to Steve Vai's Secret Jewel Box on top of my CD rack. It came out the same time as Joe's musical memoir Strange Beautiful Music. The book is more of in-depth of making of these albums than autobiography. A companion to this boxset. I recommend to read it.

Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,

Secret Jewel Box
Secret Jewel Box

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful box for CDs and picks, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Secret Jewel Box (Audio CD)
I was one of the lucky few to have rushed to buying this very limited jewel box directly from vai dot com about years ago. If my memory serves me well, it cost me about sixty-seventy quid including postage. And it comes with three Vai CDs; The Elusive Light And Sound Vol.1, Alcatrazz - Disturbing The Peace and Frank Zappa - FZ Original Recordings (all featuring Steve Vai). Plus three Vai guitar picks. Now look at the price for this very rare item. No wonder.

This is a very beautiful, wonderful, amazing box where I have kept my most favourite 10 CDs of Steve Vai and on top all my guitar picks collection. The top compartment has velvet inside and mirror. And this Secret Jewel Box stays on top of my CD rack which gives stunning decor to my music library.

Planet Waves Joe Satriani Guitar Strap - Snakes Mosaic
Planet Waves Joe Satriani Guitar Strap - Snakes Mosaic

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 10 Feb 2014
I'm glad that I finally made the purchase of this strap since its launch few years ago. Planet Waves collaborated with the world's eminent guitar player Joe Satriani to design this beautiful 'Snakes Mosaic 50JS04' guitar strap as well as the other ones. The artwork is from the master's personal sketch book. Its colour and design suit best on my orange Grestch electomatic G5420T. It's woven and feels good when it comes in contact with skin. And I look cool. There are more to offer for the collection. Take a look.

Woven -