Profile for Sangeet Rcknrol > Reviews

Western Digital Essential (Black) 250GB**
Iomega Prestige (Silver) 320GB***
Integral (Blue) 4GB, 8GB & 16GB****
ByteStor (Red) 8GB*****

I've had all these and I purchased them all from Amazon brand new. I wanted to collect them because they look nice. I wanted to have my data saved and nicely arranged because they say they are good for it. I was happy in the beginning. But after what I've been through, I don't know if I still rely on them.

1st time - I had all my wedding pictures, wedding video clips and favorite music stored in *Western Digital Passport (Metallic Red) 250GB. After 2 years, neither my MacBook Pro nor PC recognized it. Cost me extra for data recovery. I sadly reviewed positive for this item. Thanks the product is discontinued.

2nd time - All my favorite movies in **Western Digital Essential (Black) 250GB. Again the same problem within months. Lost all of them.

3rd time - I saved again all those recovered files of my wedding photos, clips and music in ***Iomega Prestige (Silver) 320GB. But then I couldn't edit any files from Mac. From PC it was OK. Experts explained about FAT32 blah blah. Got it formatted in Mac. Then again PC failed to recognize it. Compatible in both Mac and PC ? It has become 'one at a time' thing. Not a problem.

4th time - Same Mac & PC thing with ****Integral (Blue)16GB. But after data recovery and format in Mac, it works on both.

5th time - This is the worst experience of all. *****ByteStor (Red) 8GB. I got all my Sibelius music files saved in it as a back up as my Mac needed to be repaired. These Sibelius files were my life's work. Within a week, data is all lost. USB is not recognizable in any computers. My life is gone. I felt like I lost everything in life. And this made me review this.

The rest above (not asterisked) are not giving troubles so far. But don't know when they will start. Among all, PNY 2GB is the only one that still works fine even though it's about 4-5 years old and has worn and torn. These so-called portable storage whether be it Western Digital or Iomega or Integral or ByteStor, the valuable data is at 100% of huge risk of loss.

People I know use external drives that use power supply. They are bulky but so far they haven't experienced such problems. But I don't know yet. I'm thinking of buying blank CDs or DVDs to store data now. I know it's gonna cost me space. But my trust for these portable storage is broken. Damage is done.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2010 11:31 AM BST

Without Me (VaiTunes*)
Without Me (VaiTunes*)

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar God, 17 May 2010
No doubt about the title. He plays with the hands of ten guitarists and a soul of thousands. Whispering A Prayer, For The Love Of God, Windows To The Soul, Touching Tongues, Hand On Heart, Warm Regards, Boston Rain Melody, Feather, Sofa, Tender Surrender, Die To Live, Lotus Feet, K'm-Pee-Du-Wee, Sisters and now this Without Me. How he makes the guitar cry ? Listening to HIS music, watching HIS videos and attending HIS concerts million times won't even quench the thirst.

Revolve
Revolve

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Rocked Me, 2 May 2010
This review is from: Revolve (Audio CD)
When I say Danger Danger I'm talking about Naughty Naughty, Under The Gun, Don't Walk Away, Rock America, Bang Bang, Feels Like Love, Turn It On from the debut self titled album and Monkey Business, Get Your Shit Together, Crazy Nites, Don't Blame It On Love, Coming Home from the second album Screw It on powerful and melodic voice of Ted Poley and rocking guitar riffs, rhythms and solos of Andy Timmons.

The albums still play in my system and rock me well. The rest of the albums were maybe good or better. But honestly I never played them more than once or twice. Now I had to get this Revolve with not much expectations. But on the contrary it is non-stop playing in my iPod with blast disturbing the fellow passengers in the bus.

That's What I'm Talking About, Ghost Of Love, Hearts On The Highway, Keep On Keeping On, Rocket To Your Heart, Dirty Mind rocked me the same way. Killing Love, Fugitive and Never Give Up are ballads as good as One Step From Paradise and I Still Think About You.

Glad that Ted Poley is back. Although Andy Timmons is missing, Rob Marcello does is job equally well.

\,,/,
Rock 'N' Roll !

Guitar Mode Encyclopedia: 21 Modes of the Major, Melodic Minor, and Harmonic Minor Scales (Ultimate Guitarist's Reference)
by Jody Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Swallow This Book, You're A Genius., 17 April 2010
Jody Fisher, the author of this book, is an active professional musician in Southern California. He taught in University Of Redlands and Idyllwild School Of Music & Arts. He serves on the faculty of the University Of La Verne and is associate director of The National Guitar Summer Workshop's California Campus. He still maintains private teachings. It's according to this book.

All 7 modes of the Major Scale (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian) and 7 modes of the Melodic Minor Scale (Melodic Minor, Dorian b2, Lydian Augmented, Lydian b7, Mixolydian b6, Locrian #2 and Super Locrian) and 7 modes of the Harmonic Minor Scale (HM, 2nd Mode HM, 3rd Mode HM, 4th Mode HM, 5th Mode HM, 6th Mode HM and 7th Mode HM) are written in all 12 Keys. The scales and modes are shown on the guitar fingerboard on different positions. Various Chords Voicings from every mode and scale are explained. And a little bit of Music Theory in the beginning is covered.

I'm sure there are many good and better books on Scales and Modes. Some even include CD for better understanding. I've had this book for more than 10 years and it serves as reference. Every time I find confusions while composing I open it up. If you thoroughly understand and practice and memorize this book, you are a genius.

Dark Delicacies: Original Tales of Terror and the Macabre by the World's Greatest Horror Writers
by Del Howison

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloomy Sunday, 17 April 2010
Sombre Dimanche, Triste Domingo, Trauriger Sonntag, Szomoru Vasarnap or Gloomy Sunday. Any name says it, I grab it. I'm heavily obsessed with the names. I just wanna find out what's the truth in the story. The story that has stuck in my mind since schooldays when a classmate mentioned that there was a song called Gloomy Sunday and whoever listened to it committed suicide. Since the invention of internet and google, was I able to find little more information.

Not evidence but urban legend has it that in Hungary the year 1933, a struggling composer and pianist named 'Rezso Seress' composed/wrote a song called Szomoru Vasarnap in his native language after his girlfriend left him. With the help of poet Lazslo Javor, the lyrics was improvised and despite refusals by record companies for having such depressing lyrics and melancholic music, it reached the public. As the song started to associate with several suicides it was banned. In 1936, American lyricists Desmond Carter and Sam M. Lewis translated in English in their own versions and called it Gloomy Sunday. And singers like Paul Robeson and Billie Holiday sang it. Don't know if the English version was also a killer song. The song gained so much popularity that it has been translated in many languages and 100s of artists around the world have recorded in their own versions

The information is all what's in the internet. I want the evidence. The German movie 'Gloomy Sunday' (aka 'Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod') is imaginary story based on the facts directed by Rolf Schübel. It's like the movie 'Titanic'. Another Hungarian book called 'Szomoru Vasarnap' is again imaginary drama based on the true story written by Peter Muller. Books such as 'The Giant Book Of Strange But True' by Tom Slemen, 'Copycat Effect' by Loren Coleman and this 'Dark Delicacies' mention about Gloomy Sunday. It's the reason for which I possess these books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2010 8:58 AM BST

The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in Tomorrow's Headlines
by Loren Coleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloomy Sunday, 17 April 2010

The information is all what's in the internet. I want the evidence. The German movie 'Gloomy Sunday' (aka 'Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod') is imaginary story based on the facts directed by Rolf Schübel. It's like the movie 'Titanic'. Another Hungarian book called 'Szomoru Vasarnap' is again imaginary drama based on the true story written by Peter Muller. Books such as 'The Giant Book Of Strange But True' by Tom Slemen, 'Dark Delicacies' by Del Howison and Jeff Gelb and this 'Copycat Effect' mention about Gloomy Sunday. It's the reason for which I possess these books.

Giant Book of Strange but True
Giant Book of Strange but True
by Thomas Slemen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloomy Sunday and Other Stories., 16 April 2010
394 pages of this book contain 62 of different, interesting, strange and mysterious stories such as,
- Robin Hood (Who was the legendary outlaws?)
- Nostradamus (The man who saw tomorrow)
- Bruce Lee (Was the martial arts superstar murdered?)
- The Man In The Iron Mask (The legendary prisoner who could not show his face)
- Jack The Ripper (The killer who became a legend)
- The Xinjiang Mummies (The riddle of China's 4750 year old Caucasian Corpses)
- The Atlanteans (Did the legendary island of Atlantis really exist?)
- William Shakespeare (Who was the Bard of Stratford)
- Adolf Hitler (Was the führer black magician?)
- Vampires (Is there any truth behind the tales of the undead)
- Green Children (A strange tale from the middles ages)
- The Men In Black (The shadowy visitors who stalk UFO witnesses)

And one of them stories was - Rezso Seress (The song that could kill).
Sombre Dimanche, Triste Domingo, Trauriger Sonntag, Szomoru Vasarnap or Gloomy Sunday, I'm heavily obsessed with the name. Any name says it, I just grab it. I just wanna find out what's the truth in the story. The story that has stuck in my mind since schooldays when a classmate mentioned that there was a song called Gloomy Sunday and whoever listened to it committed suicide. Since the invention of internet and google, was I able to find little more information.

Not evidence but urban legend has it that in Hungary the year 1933, a struggling composer and pianist named 'Rezso Seress' composed/wrote a song called Szomoru Vasarnap in his native language after his girlfriend left him. With the help of poet Lazslo Javor, the lyrics was improvised and despite refusals by record companies for having such depressing lyrics and melancholic music, it reached the public. As the song started to associate with several suicides it was banned. In 1936, American lyricists Desmond Carter and Sam M. Lewis translated in English in their own versions and called it Gloomy Sunday. And singers like Paul Robeson and Billie Holiday sang it. Don't know if the English version was also a killer song. The song gained so much popularity that since then it has been translated in many languages and 100s of artists around the world have recorded in their own versions

The information is all what's in the internet. I want the evidence. The German movie 'Gloomy Sunday' (aka 'Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod') is an imaginary story based on true story directed by Rolf Schübel. Another Hungarian book called 'Szomoru Vasarnap' is again imaginary drama based on true story written by Peter Muller. Other books 'Copycat Effect' by Loren Coleman and 'Dark Delicacies' by Del Howison and Jeff Gelb also mentioned about Gloomy Sunday in brief. 'The Giant Book Of Strange But True - Mysterious And Bizarre People' is the only book that the story exists in 3 pages. It's the only reason for which I possess the book. Reading the book I was also amazed by other stories. They are also interesting as this one.

Six-String Heroes
Six-String Heroes
by Neil Zlozower

5.0 out of 5 stars SOMETHING TO KEEP BY THE BEDSIDE, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Six-String Heroes (Hardcover)
What the hell ! It has been 6 months since its publish and no one has written anything about it. Isn't there any single guitar lover out here ? Say yeah. Anyway I will take this as a privilege to be the first one to review. Just don't know how to start.

Like 'Electric Guitars - The Illustrated Encyclopedia' by Tony Bacon I fell in love with this book at first sight. I was eagerly waiting for this book from Amazon and checking my door every now and then even though I know postman knocks only once a day. Xmas pressure was heavy at work and I was working more than 13 hours everyday for weeks. I returned home all exhausted. All I could think of was eat and sleep straight away just to be ready to wake up early the next morning. There this book was waiting on my bed. At once I tore off the Amazon cover and revealed its black, shiny, big, heavy, beautiful body and caressed the engraving that says 'Six String Heroes, photographs of Great Guitarists by Neil Zlozower, forward by Steve Vai, text by Steven Rosen' and pics of the guitarists all around it. Forget about eating and sleeping ! I went on through it for hours until after midnight very late. This is just to tell how much I love guitars.

The book opens with nice, raw and honest forward by Steve Vai which you can also read in Vai's web page. It's followed by introduction by Neil Zlozower. And then come Jimmy Page, Brian May, Joe Satriani, Rory Galagher, Steve Lukather, The Edge, Bruce Springsteen, Lita Ford, Joan Jett, Prince and lots of them the Kirchangers. The greatest influence of many six string heroes - Jimmy Hendrix (and also others) is missing here. Not to forget that this is not collection from anywhere but the photographs taken by the great rock photographer Neil Zlozower himself. He mentioned in the book that he never had a chance to take his idol Jimi's pictures although he saw him 4 times. The book also consists of comments by guitarists about their influence, other great players, themselves and what they think about the guitar.

Something to keep by your bedside until the end. If you are a lover. I know I know I know that there's a difference between the real guitars and the pictures. But it's like the real thing and the 'Playboy'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2010 12:00 AM BST

Where The Wild Things Are [DVD] [2009]
Where The Wild Things Are [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Steve Vai

5.0 out of 5 stars THE COLORFUL VAI, 26 Sep 2009
'Live At The Astoria' or 'Visual Sound Theories' or any 'G3', Steve Vai is out of doubt the greatest entertaining guitar player. I've seen him live twice. One in Real Illusions - Reflection tour and another in G3 with Satch and Robert Fripp. Every time he is in town, I'm gonna rock there. I enjoy his gigs and music that well. I own all of his DVDs and CDs.

When I found Vai was releasing another DVD, without thinking anything I pre-ordered 'Where The Wild Things Are' from Amazon at really good price. I have to admit that Amazon is the best place for pre-orders. Everyday I would visit his official YouTube page to view the 7 minutes clips and the 2 months waiting was getting longer as closer as it got.

I can never argue on 'Who is the best guitar player?'. Every one is the best and unique. But on 'Who is the best guitar entertainer?', I will assert it's Steve Vai. Because he is. Not only the way the guitar strings he bends and the fun he has with the band. But the clothes he wears, the facial expressions he makes and the hair that flies in the air. He is a poser. He says. He plays with the hands of ten guitarists and a soul of thousands. We know.

With the lighting system above the heads, the carpet under the feet of Steve and that new model, beautiful transparent guitar in his hands, the stage looks fantastically colorful. New line up of beautiful musicians add up different taste. Ann Marie Calhoun and Alex DePue on violins, Zack Wiesinger on lap steel guitar and Bryan Beller on bass. Not to forget the talented Jeremy Colson on drums and the brilliant long term member Dave Weiner on second guitar. The bonus material features interviews from artists. What amazed me was how the same bass player from 'Visual Sound theories' was recruited by Steve. It's just another concert to watch and enjoy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 5:35 AM GMT

Ravi Shankar: Bapi - The Love of My Life
Ravi Shankar: Bapi - The Love of My Life
by Anoushka Shankar

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Person Through The Eyes Of A Proud Daughter, 2 Sep 2009
I only knew Ravi Shankar as a world class Sitar player and nothing more. Never much into Indian classical music nor Sitar music though I like the sound of it. I've always been a rocker. And yes I also knew Ravi Shankar as close friend of George Harrison and father of Norah Jones both of whom I'm a big fan.

Accidentally in the internet, I discovered an Angel with Sitar and that was Anoushka Shankar. I went on to learn more about her. I was surprised as much as happy to find she is Ravi Shankar's second daughter, sister of Norah Jones and a real Sitar player, a renown one. I got her CDs - Rise, Breathing Under Water (with Karsh Kale) and Live In Carnegie Hall (the Grammy nominated album). Right after that, from the hands of Guitar I fell into the arms of Sitar.

Then I searched and found more about her - the videos, the concerts, the interviews, the news, the articles, the blogs, the columns and this book 'Bapi - The Love Of My Life'. I ordered brand new book from Amazon at really good price.

I got so hooked that I wish the book never ended. So simple, beautifully expressed and a very good literacy. Every page is full of black and white photographs of Ravi Shankar from very young age to recent, families, friends, other musicians, George Harrison, Norah Jones and Anoushka herself. That made me feel like I was watching an old movie. A wonderful life story about the legend, not only as a musician but as a person, a father, a friend, a student, a guru, a mentor, a dancer and a joker, encapsulated in 144 pages.

We all love to talk about our dads. My dad is this, my dad is that. And this is what I very much liked in this book. After reading it, my love and respect for Ravi Shankar are multiplied by thousand as well as for Anoushka. Now I know more about him (her too) and that is through the eyes of a proud daughter. I'm longing to read 'Raga Mala - The Autobiography Of Ravi Shankar' and listen to every single record by the World's Best Sitar Player.

Anoushka Shankar is a beautiful woman, a wonderful person, a charismatic lady, a gifted musician, a fantastic Sitar player and a brilliant writer too. I hope she would write more books in the future as I read somewhere that her next book maybe about herself. Preeminently she was born to play Sitar. So much blessed to have everyday blessings of her father - the man sent to this planet by Goddess Sarasvati for the mission.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17