Profile for Mr. Bluesman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The Purple Album
The Purple Album

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Shade Of Purple, 19 May 2015
This review is from: The Purple Album (Audio CD)
Growing up listening to Highway Star, Smoke On The Water, Child In Time, Black Night, Burn, Soldier Of Fortune, I did not know the difference between the voice of Ian Gillan and David Coverdale. Later I was amazed to learn that was the singer from my favourite band Whitesnake. Especially after enjoying Uli Jon Roth's Scorpions Revisited, I was very much excited about this album and pre-ordered. I pretty much expected it would sound Purple-Snake and I think I was right.

How I enjoyed very much is that I lined up all the original version of Purple songs featuring in this album and the Snake versions from this album in my iPod and played all day yesterday many many times. First Purple's and second Snake's, one after another. Wow! You can hear the difference. Heavier and pure Snake. 40 years different in David's voice but still good. Let's be honest. Original is always original. Nothing can top it. This album only sounds different. A different shade of Purple.

Loved it.

Stillness In Motion: Vai Live In L.A. [2CD]
Stillness In Motion: Vai Live In L.A. [2CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars The hands of ten guitarists. The soul of a thousand., 19 April 2015
I attended The Story Of Light concert on 2nd December 2012 at Hammersmith Apollo. It was a great concert to witness from the fourth row. I pre-ordered the Stillness In Motion - Vai Live In LA DVD. Since its arrival on the release date, I have been just watching it. It is so great that I felt like I am there again. I could not help myself. So I ended up downloading the MP3s and enjoying listening to it when I am not watching it. Steve Vai is the one.

Stillness In Motion: Vai Live In L.A. [2DVD] [2015]
Stillness In Motion: Vai Live In L.A. [2DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Steve Vai

5.0 out of 5 stars The hands of ten guitarists. The soul of a thousand., 14 April 2015
"To be Steve Vai is having that special blessing only one in seven billion gets and that happens only once in a millennium."
Yes that's right. I don't know why I see that when Steve Vai is playing guitar, he plays with much ease, so effortlessly, so relaxed and with a lot of amusement. He makes it look like guitar playing in that level of virtuosity is simple. Yet the force of the Universe is playing through him. That charm, that personality, that look, that power, that control, that influence, that charisma, that style, that love, that passion, that music. I am just a fanatic.

I enjoy watching Steve Vai live more than anything. Whether it is the real concerts or live DVDs. The more I see, the more I wanna see. Never satisfied. Coming up of his new CDs, DVDs and concerts is more exciting than going out on new date. I was more excited than ever for this DVD release. Because I attended The Story Of Light tour on 2nd December 2012 at Hammersmith Apollo. And the setlist is as similar as in this DVD. Also the 360° apps thing of the show was similarly exciting for me as I was on the fourth row hoping to be spotted. But no luck. Never mind! This is a two DVD set. DVD track list slightly differs from CD's.

Disc 1 has the following 2 hour long show -
10. The Moon And I
11. The Animal
12. Whispering A Prayer
13. The Audience Is Listening
14. Where Are We? (Short documentary)
15. Rescue Me Or Bury Me
16. Sisters
17. Beastly Rap
18. Treasure Island
19. Salmanders In The Sun
20. Pusa Road
21. Earthqake Sky, Drum Solo
22. I'm Tired (Short documentary)
23. The Ultra Zone
24. Frank

Disc 2 has the last 3 of half an hour show. Plus 3 and a half hour documentary called 'The Space between The Notes' (Legs 1-9) -
1. Build Me A Song L.A.
2. For The Love Of God
3. Taurus Bulba
4. Leg 1 (USA Rehearsals)
5. Leg 2 (Europe/Eastern Europe)
6. Leg 3 (Vegas/Netherlands/Russia/Ukraine/Europe)
7. Leg 4 (Australia/New Zealand/Indonesia/China/S. Korea/Japan/Taiwan/Thailand)
8. Leg 5 (Europe again)
9. Leg 6 (USA again)
10. Leg 7 (Mexico/South America/China)
11. Leg 8 (Vegas/Singapore/Malaysia/Israel/Europe/Russia/Ukraine)
12. Leg 9 (USA/St. Barths/Japan/France/Poland)

Some highlights of the show are Dave Weiner's guitar solo The Trillium's Launch, Jeremy Colson's strap drum drama Beastly Rap, Steve Vai's solo on Rescue Me, Deborah's harp on Whispering A Prayer, Steve's ultra zone cover outfit on The Ultra Zone, Build Me A Song LA with audience. No difference from the concert I attended. And from what I recall there is that the tall, dark figure in a smokey, semi darkness with a hand high in the air in the beginning looked like a handsome devil in disguise. That's exactly what I find in the Intro here. That's one hell of a start.

What makes this DVD unique from all the previous ones is The Space Between The Notes which is even longer than the concert and full of lots and lots and lots of fun. It is a collection of still pictures, camera clips, cam coder footages (all raw) about the journey of the band (Dave, Jeremy, Philip), the crew (Thomas, Todd, Mike, Jaret, Huber) and the Vai family (Pia, Fire) during the tour from 2012 to 2014. Really great fun, exciting, emotional at times to watch.

The poster size inlay card has credits, infos, photos, venues and dates of all the 253 The Story Of Light tour around the world and notes written by Steve on 28 August 2014 at 9:27pm at Los Angeles. It has been a week and I am only watching this. You know how it feels to be in the Vai concert as a fan. You can tell how it feels to have EVO experience as a VIP guest. But you need this DVD to know how it feels to be Steve Vai and how it feels to go with him on tour as a band, as a crew and as a family. And there you have it!

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars All the best albums, 4 April 2015
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Europe's studio albums to date in chronological order where marked * are packed in this box set.
1983 Europe *
2006 Secret Society
2009 Last Look At Eden
2012 Bag Of Bones
2015 War Of Kings

Europe was big in the hair metal era in the 80s. They did 5 albums from 1983 to 1991. They reformed after more than 10 years and did another 5 albums to date since 2004. This time they sounded different. A hard rock band. I did not appreciate the change at first but now I do. Like me if you are after a complete early albums, this is the right box set.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2015 8:56 AM BST

Toto XIV
Toto XIV

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fire Still Burns, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Toto XIV (Audio CD)
Pre-ordered CD in a standard jewel case arrived this morning. 12 pages of booklet consists of lyrics, photos and production credits. And the disc carries 11 of the good songs. I really liked this album very much. Not a single track that puts me off. Running Out Of Time, Burn, Holy War, 21st Century Blues, Orphan, Unknown Soldier are most played in my iPod. Having Fahrenheit and The Seventh One as my first and most favourite Toto albums, I love the voice of Joseph Williams. And Steve Lukather, the musician of genius. Since the day of discovery 20 years ago, I have been saying Toto is the band of musicians with the highest degree.

I expect solid rock music from my favourite rock bands when they are coming out with new albums. Not experimental different stuff. It definitely turns me off. Mindfields and Falling In Between took sometime to grow on me. I had to wait for 9 long years for another better one and it was worth the wait. I am enjoying Toto again. Those were the days when Carmen, Stranger In Town, Angel Don't Cry, Holy Anna, We Can Make It Tonight, Can't Stand It Any Longer, I'll Be Over You, Could This Be Love, Pamela, You Got Me, Anna, Stop Loving You, Stay Away, Straight From The Heart, Home Of The Brave, Don't Chain My Heart, Never Enough etc. etc. etc. used to play out loud in my room and in my walkman. Really those were the days. Toto is the band.

Enjoy!

Now We Have Light
Now We Have Light

5.0 out of 5 stars This band just added to my favourites., 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Now We Have Light (Audio CD)
I enjoy music having unusual song structure, sometimes complicated, not able to predict in the first listen what the next phrase or part is gonna be, changes of key signatures, time signatures and tempo within the song. Having said that not all the progressive rock music appeal to me. I am a die hard fan of Dream Theater.

I don't normally explore music of a new generation. But there is something in Sanguine Hum that made me love them straight. It is maybe the voice. Sweet and soft and soothing, perfect for their synthesised, ambient, guitar oriented, slow-mid tempo, jazzy, bluesy, rocky music. Before that, that cover art looking like Tom (Tom & Jerry) caught my attention in the first place. And here I am, at the moment of discovering the band in Amazon, ended up having ordered all three albums Diving Bell (2012), The Weight Of The World (2013) and Now We Have Light (2015) at once.

All three albums are brilliantly written and performed. The band is made of extremely talented bunch of guys. Their music is mostly short and not boring at all. In my opinion, the second album is the best. Sanguine Hum just added to my favourite bands.

\m/,
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 2:22 AM BST

War Of Kings
War Of Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars Europe Rocks !!!, 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: War Of Kings (Audio CD)
There is time, place and mood to listen to music. And that moment tells us if we like that music or not. The CD we throw in the corner of our room today may become the one that stays on top of our rack tomorrow. That happens with me quiet a lot of times. Another factor is our high and low expectations from the returning bands or the upcoming albums by our favourite bands.

Europe's first 5 albums packed in this boxset were most probably the best to somebody who, like myself, got stuck in the time warp. When Europe reformed in 2004 and did 'Start From The Dark' after 13 years and 'Secret Society' after 2 years, they sounded so different that I thought was not really my cup of tea. John Norum's (my fav guitar player) guitar tone changed. Joey Tempest's singing style changed. From melodic hair metal to heavy hard rock. I like the sub-genre but not expect the change from the band who gave us Superstitious, Rock The Night, Carrie, The Final Countdown and etc.

I never picked the albums for the second time. I felt the same way about 'Last Look At Eden' and 'Bag Of Bones'. Again same feeling about "War Of Kings'. But couple of days back, on a travel, bright sunny day, I was rolling around my iPod trying to find that energy to rock me. I just casually played the downloaded 'War Of Kings'. Just wanted to give it a second try. This must have been that moment that it clicked. And here I ended up ordering the physical CD arrived today. I am a collector of good rock music albums and one just added to the top row on my rack.

The heavy use of organs makes it sound like Deep Purple. There is hard blues riffs still linked to that melodic metal of the 80s. I am really enjoying this album. And I am going back in time to explore the last 4 albums by the band. I misunderstood the reformation of Europe. Now I appreciate the change. I like their new musical style. They rock.

Rock 'N' Roll \m/,
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2015 11:06 PM GMT

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force

4.0 out of 5 stars The first 6 great albums, 27 Feb. 2015
Yngiwe Who? Yngwie Malmsteen!
Yes Yngwie Malmsteen, one of my guitar heroes.

Polydor Years 1984-1990 means the heydays of Mr. Malmsteen and his first great 6 albums.
In my opinion, the bests.
Rising Force (1984)
Marching Out (1985)
Trilogy (1986)
Odyssey (1988)
Trial By Fire (1989)
Eclipse (1990)
Most of which I already own individually. Again I was happy to have all this in one box set.

4 discs are nicely packed in a normal double disc jewel case.
The booklet has Malmsteen's story in brief, album covers pictures and info in 8 pages.

But there is something unusual and funny about this boxset that I feel ambivalent towards.
6 albums are squeezed in 4 discs as if chopped off and separated.
Disc 1 contains all 8 tracks from Rising Force and first 9 from Marching Out.
Disc 2 contains last 2 tracks from Marching Out, 2 bonus live tracks, full 9 from Trilogy and first 3 from Odyssey.
Disc 3 contains rest of Odyssey and first 7 from Trial by Fire.
Disc 4 contains last 4 from Tral By Fire and all of Eclipse.
Oh my! Why not 6 individual discs? For this reason it's 3.5 stars rating I gave.
Malmsteen's music is always beyond 5 stars. That's all that matters.

Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2015 9:45 AM GMT

Return To Forever (Limited Deluxe Editon)
Return To Forever (Limited Deluxe Editon)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Rocks Like A Hurricane, 26 Feb. 2015
I am having Scorpions party for the last few weeks. Herman Rarebell And Friends' Scorpions Songs that has different colour to their well known music. Uli Jon Roth's Scorpions Revisited that gives new life to those almost forgotten songs. And now this Return To Forever. The real deal. A real comeblack or a true return as their peers AC/DC's Rock Or Bust and Billy Idol's Kings And Queens Of The Underground.

Four days since the pre-ordered beautiful black digibook with brilliant shiny silver crown delivered to my door on the release day and the disc is just spinning round and round and round, loud and non stop. First play was a bit confusing. Second play and that's it. This got to be another best sting. I love Scorpions simply for their good lyrics, rocking riffs, unforgettable music and evergreen vocal. Their albums I love most are from entrance of Matthias Jabs to departure of Herman Rarebell. Later albums I got them only later. Some were good and some were experimental type changing direction which I felt a little bad about. So what was I expecting now? Obviously another rock like a hurricane and I got it.

'Going Out With A Bang' opens the album with blues rock riff that any rock fan falls in love at first sting. It's powerful good opener for an album. 'We Built This House', the single release a month ago, is a melodic typical Scorpions song which is obviously the highest peak of the album. 'Rock My Car' is stadium anthem. 'House Of Cards' is a ballad with signature Scorpions arpeggios on acoustic guitar. 'All For One' and 'Rolling Home' have a little of pop rock feel but I like it. 'Eye Of The Storm' sounds a proper slow pop song ballad but it matches perfect with Klaus' sweet melodious voice. 'Rock N Roll Band', 'Catch Your Luck And Play' and 'Hard Rocking The Place' are energetic numbers. 'The Scratch' is rock 'n' roll. 'Gypsy Life' is another good ballad. 'The World We Used To Know' is equivalent to Wind Of Change and Under The Same Sun. The rest 'Dancing With The Moonlight' rocks well and again the good ballads 'When the Truth Is A Lie' and 'Who We Are' conclude the album.

There is not a single track that I skip. All rocking. The digibook consists of lyrics, production info, pictures and pouch where goes the disc. The last four tracks say bonus tracks on this deluxe edition but I don't see anywhere a standard edition. So altogether 16 smashing numbers. Deserves more than five stars. This is coming home.

Only To Rise
Only To Rise

4.0 out of 5 stars Stryper, Dokken, Lynch Mob, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Only To Rise (Audio CD)
You may say this album is just another good album from Stryper or Dokken or Lynch Mob. Or you may say Michael Sweet joined Dokken or Lynch Mob. Or George Lynch joined Stryper. Only no Jesus this time. There is nothing new here. Joint project of two gifted musicians from the 80s hair metal era who are still rocking on. Great guitar riffs and solos of George Lynch merge with rocking melodic voice of Michael Sweet. A powerful force or duet or supergroup rises to another level. Loved it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19