Profile for S. Jasinski > Reviews

Content by S. Jasinski

S. Jasinski (UK)

Anker USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5inch HDD & SSD [6TB Support]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 Jan. 2015
Does what it says on the box. I have it connected via USB 3.0 and spped and use is excellent. The rview by Jonathan I. Statt (on 30 Jan 2013) says it all.

Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling Headset with Microphone - Black
Offered by iHeadphones UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not last a year, 4 Feb. 2014
Bought these May 2013 and this morning on my daily commute the the right side has failed, from a loose connection at the audio jack. They replaced Sony MDRNC22 noise cancelling earphones, which were showing signs of wear and tear after over 4 years of daily commute use but which have now been 'retired' home, but are still in daily, but less rigorous use.

They were cheap, but not cheap enough if they only last 9 months.

Audio quality was fine for a daily commute as external noise makes HQ listening irrelevant. For normal listening the bass is poor and distorted, but as they cost £11 this was forgiveable.

I would have given 4 stars if the product was more reliable, though of course all products can have a fault so I may be just unlucky.

BTW as I was writing this review, Amazon have refunded me the cost of the product (subject to me returning it).

Cyprus - South & North: Rother Walking Guide  - 50 walks
Cyprus - South & North: Rother Walking Guide - 50 walks
by Rolf Goetz

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth having, 9 Jan. 2014
Bought this for a holiday in the last week of November 2013 where we were based in Paphos. Used it for 5 walks (including Baths of Aphrodite, Avakas Gorge, Troodos Mountains) and found the book excellent. Though the maps are not particularly detailed they were sufficient and were helpful when occasionally we were uncertain of the way finding. Useful indicators to the difficulty and length of the walks too, though we took a lot longer than the times stated; probably due to stopping very often to enjoy the scenery, fauna & flora, photography and picnicking.
Had a fantastic walking holiday which was greatly assisted by this guide.

Case Logic CPL109GY Sac à dos nylon avec Protège pluie intégré pour Réflex + 1,2 Objectifs + Accessoires + Emplacement pour tablette pc Argent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my mirror-less SLR, 15 Aug. 2013
I was looking for a small rucksack for my new Sony Nex-6 camera & lenses (16-50 & 55-210) and also to carry my phone, wallet, sunglasses and the like. I looked at a variety of products both on-line and in a couple of department stores. Most products were either too small (only suited to a camera + maybe an extra lens, i.e. no other belongings) or far too large (more for professional photographers with extensive kit). I chose this based upon the amazon reviews (.com and uk) and also the Case Logic video on youtube ([...]

I am pleased with this product and it suits my purposes very well. In summary:

Main camera & lenses compartment (bottom half of bag), is accessed from the side but which can be opened completely (side and front) for full access. There are two velcro stops so that in normal use the zip is limited to the side only. The rucksack is designed to be slung round via the left shoulder to one's front allowing reasonably easy access to the camera compartment whilst standing/walking (contrary to one of the reviewer's comments). I find this a fairly good method, although the other hand would have been easier for me (i.e. slung round from right shoulder, therefore side access would need to be provided on other side).
The main compartment has a small pocket (e.g. for a spare battery) and a very small pocket for a spare SD card. Mine came with a couple of foam dividers. The size is fine for my camera and current lenses, if not a little large. However there is scope for more lenses but they will need additional padding/protection. Note that for a full size SLR the compartment is probably suitable for a body plus one small and one medium lens, but little more.

Top compartment, is easily accessed from the front & top with a zip to top & both sides. The front is padded and includes a small zipped mesh pocket to the inner side. Usually I keep power/charging cables plus sunglasses, which still leaves some space for other knick-knacks.

Top pocket, there is a small zipped pocket accessed from the top suitable for a phone and a wallet, but not much more.

Side pocket, between the compartments and the back padding is a zipped pocket suitable for an ipad. I do not use this.

There is also a mesh bottle pocket on the outside of the rucksack's bottom right side and a very practical (blue) rain cover hidden in the base. The straps include velcro fastenings that allow them to be rolled up to minimise dangling straps.

Overall a well thought out product ideal for a smaller/compact SLR. For me the only negative is the hand of the camera compartment, but as this is a personal issue and not significant I have not marked the product down.

Roots & Shoots 9 x 1.5m Mulit-Season Weed Control Fabric
Roots & Shoots 9 x 1.5m Mulit-Season Weed Control Fabric
Offered by iOSSS

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 15 Aug. 2013
Cheap but a complete waste of money. I cannot believe this is the same product reviewed by others.

I bought two rolls this spring for a new strawberry bed; spending a good day preparing the bed, fixing the fabric and planting the strawberries (in slits formed in the fabric). I also has an old roll of similar material left over from a relative which I used to finish off the bed as the two were not enough.

Within a few weeks it appeared the fabric was being eaten as it had tears in it, I thought perhaps mice or rats were making holes? But it soon transpired it was the fabric that was tearing extremely easily, even just by the pressure of annual weeds growing beneath, whose growth did not appear to be unduly affected by the fabric.

I cannot stress more how utterly useless this product is. It is worse than using no fabric at all as it hides growing weeds until they are more mature and they then pop-through the fabric to self seed.

BTW the old roll I used to complete the bed is fine, no tears, no weeds coming through - exactly as a weed suppressant fabric should behave.

The only positive, is that I don't need to clear the fabric away when I replace it as it is disappearing/deteriorating of it's own accord.

ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless Dual LAN Access Point
ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless Dual LAN Access Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, good range, 23 Jan. 2012
I have bought one of these previously (April 2011) for use at my office; solely to provide wireless internet access for visitors (or for staff's ipods touchs or ipads). It was easy to set-up and make secure and works fine.

I recently borrowed it over the Xmas break for trial at home as I just have a plain router/modem (no wireless) there. I simply connected the WAP to my network on the ground floor and it worked no problem giving me great reception throughout my 3 storey house - so I have just now bought one for home.

Thoroughly recommended.
I also prefer the simple not overly 'designed' styling.
Also there are two network ports so you can daisy chain a PC/laptop to it.

(Note that I did not buy either from Amazon as Ebuyer was marginally cheaper even with their additional postage.)

DeWalt PERFORM4 1/2 Synthetic Padded Leather Palm Gloves , size 10
DeWalt PERFORM4 1/2 Synthetic Padded Leather Palm Gloves , size 10
Offered by Total Source Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and tough gloves, 13 Dec. 2011
I bought a pair of these in May 2010 from B&Q. I liked the comfort and fit of the gloves in the shop and thought they were worth a try, though a bit pricey at £26.28.

Unfortunately I mislaid them recently and I can't wait any more hoping they will turn up; so I'm getting another pair, albeit at the better value price of £18.25 on Amazon.

I used the original pair intermittently for odd jobs outside, in the garden/allotment and in the workshop, both for manual work and with power tools. Probably on average for a day a week for 18 months and they were in reasonable condition when mislaid.

I also have a pair of DeWalt FRAMER Fingerless Framers Gloves - Black / Yellow (which I have not mislaid) and these, though good, are not as comfortable or tough as the Performance 4's.

I believe they only come in one size which is large. I don't think I have large hands and they fit me perfectly so if you do have large hands they may be a touch tight and difficult to put on/take off.

Most gloves I have bought, previous to either of the DeWalt's, have been fairly cheap (circa £5) non-branded work gloves or gardening gloves and invariably these have only lasted a few months before falling apart or wearing out with holes (admittedly they were not fingerless). They were also typically poorly fitting (loose) and therefore uncomfortable.

Garmin Nuvi 3790T 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps, Premium Traffic and Voice Activation

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Sat Nav, 21 Sept. 2011
This is my first sat nav and it was selected after an extremely long research period where I never really reached a conclusion as to the TomTom vs Garmin debate. I chose Garmin mainly because of the looks and size of the unit.

My 'must haves' were (in order):
- Europe maps
- Good route finding (this information was not available for any sat-nav)
- Good sized screen
And my 'nice to haves' were:
- lifetime traffic (though based on RDS)
- Speaks street names
- stylish and small (thin)
- Pedestrian navigation (The Garmin came with an offer of free CityXplorer map download)

Apart from the 'good route finding', which my research could not ascertain, the Garmin met my perceived requirements.

IN USE
As mentioned this is my first sat-nav so my review should be read on this understanding. I have had the Garmin for almost 2 months and have used it for about a dozen medium journeys (25-80 miles) as well as for testing on smaller local journeys. The unit has worked fine. To date I have not had any issues others have mentioned (i.e. slow in acquiring satellites, problems with downloading map update to the PC, unit freezing and needing a reset etc.).

The menu takes a bit of getting used to, but that is to be expected - I am still learning. I have not used all the features:

Route finding is generally fine. Some routes appeared poor where I knew the local roads, but I guess sat-nav's cannot really compete with decent local knowledge. However some routes given were potential alternatives to my usual routes, which is useful. On occasion the route wanted to take me off the main road at an underpass junction and then back on to the same road. This was easily noticed and ignored.
Also where a road follows the same route as an elevated road above (or vice versa) the unit got briefly confused. I am not sure if this is to be expected as the unit does have elevation information - in pedestrian mode it was a novelty to follow the height above sea level as I roamed around.

All speed cameras are noted which is useful, but it also warns of mobile speed camera areas which happens too frequently to be helpful.

Voice control has only been used to test out. Works fine but some addresses could not be found due to limitations. They could be resolved by text inputting the post code, which did not appear possible on the voice control.

Traffic - not used as I did not meet any major traffic problems.

Overall a competent and accomplished product with no significant issues to complain about.

I also bought the Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series to sit on the dashboard of my LR Discovery and it is as good as the reviews say.

3 PCE MAGNETIC TOOL RACK
3 PCE MAGNETIC TOOL RACK
Offered by AAAz Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and good value, 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: 3 PCE MAGNETIC TOOL RACK (Misc.)
I researched magnetic tool holders and chose this product on the basis of it's lowest £/cm. Product is solid and does what it should. All the magnets are strong and I keep a variety of tools secure. The large magnet can hold a fairly heavy stainless steel spade; although it is not very practical to store spades this way it does show the strength of the magnet.

It comes with the correct number of good sized screws and I will be buying a couple more in the future.

In conclusion it is good value, does what it should and I can't think of any cons: so a 5 star buy.

Berghaus Remote Backpack - 12 Lt
Berghaus Remote Backpack - 12 Lt

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much I bought a second one., 5 April 2011
NOTE: This review was for the original version of the Remote 8+4 and not the one as shown. Please see comments section.

I liked it so much I bought a second one to keep for when the first one wears out (or becomes too shabby*) as Berghaus are bound to have discontinued it. I have been keeping an eye on the net pricing and bought it when I saw it on Amazon at a reasonable reduction from the normal £35 price.

I bought my first Remote 8+4 a couple of years ago to replace a Berghaus 'Bladdered' daysack, which I used every day for the daily tube commute and also on ski and summer camping hols. The Remote is an improvement but with a couple of disadvantages listed below.
Advantages & disadvantages:
+ Small & lightweight, so when you have little in it, it does not weigh much.
+ Flexible - can be enlarged through its zipped expansion gusset. When bigger it can take A4 paper/documents.
+ Clean design, although not a city type bag its design is a little more suitable for a 'suited' bloke than most rucksacks (I have the black/grey version). Though it has straps there are not too many and the waist belt is detachable.
+ Has a compartment for a hydration pack (or my umbrella on the daily commute). There is also a handy key ring.
+ Has a zipped front pocket for odds and ends. Also 2 front mesh pockets, handy but I don't need 2.
- The zipped front pocket is too tall (the full height of the rucksack from the zip down - see image). The contents naturally end-up at the bottom and the zipped entry is a little awkward for my not particularly large hands (The Bladdered had a better more accessible design).
+ Zip-away helmet storage net. I've used this for cycle and ski helmets.
- Zip away net is not suitable to hold my wet umbrella (the Bladdered net worked well for storing my wet umbrella on the tube/train - no more lost umbrellas). I have to use the larger front net, but that brings the wet umbrella directly in contact with the rucksack with potential for damp ingress.

All in all a very good product with some minor disadvantages, however I have still given it 5 stars as it is the best small rucksack by far for my varied needs and because of it's low price.

*Note that I still have the Bladdered, and it is in excellent condition (nothing worn or broken), it is just that after a number of years it gets shabby looking, despite occasional washes, and is no longer smart enough for my daily commute. I would expect the Remote 8+4 to be similar and that is why I have a replacement in reserve.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2012 4:12 PM GMT