Profile for Mr. C. A. Kitchener > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. A. Kitc...

Mr. C. A. Kitchener

The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscent of Moorcock, 12 Jun 2014
Great book. Seems to fit into a very British corner of Sword & Sorcery writing with the likes of Moorcock and Abercrombie. Everything has consequences. There are no heroes.

Diaspora
Diaspora
Price: 6.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Kindle Edition, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Diaspora (Kindle Edition)
Nice to see this as a clean, accessible, not to mention affordable Kindle edition. It's a great book. The game itself is fine, but the real value for me lay in the insight the book offers into how the designers decided to achieve their various goals and address the problems they encountered using a specific iteration of the FATE system. The mini games are inspired.

The Lords of Midnight
The Lords of Midnight
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't boot up on Kindle Fire HD, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Lords of Midnight (App)
I will happily re-write this review and rate the game on its merits if a patch is released which will allow me to play the game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 11:08 AM BST

Small World 2 (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Small World 2 (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing, 23 Jan 2014
Very addictive. They've done a great job with this barring the odd bug (the game will occasionally quit unexptedly). I'll definitely buy the expansions when I've exhausted the core material.

Can I have an adaptation of one of the Commands and Colours games like Memoir '44 or Battlelore please?

The Rock 'n' Roll Diaries (Making It Book 1)
The Rock 'n' Roll Diaries (Making It Book 1)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fizzes Along Like a Good '80s Teen Movie, 6 Sep 2013
Sometimes there's a good reason something is a cliche: because it works. There's nothing startlingly original here, you'll have seen it all before. But it hangs together as a beautifully entertaining and compelling whole. British fiction tends to shy away from this kind of storytelling; in literature and in films. That's a shame, because books like this prove that the upbeat teen story needn't be the sole preserve of American writers.

World Record
World Record
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Album, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: World Record (MP3 Download)
I'd never heard of the band and then I saw the video for "Deadliest Catch" on Kerrang whilst channel surfing. I liked it enought to take a punt on the album especially as I hadn't bought anything new for a while. I'm happy to say that that worked out rather well for me as the whole album is superb; there are no duff tunes on there whatsoever.

"Up in Smoke", "Deadliest Catch", "Uni 9Mm", "Another Sad Song" and "R.O.I." all stand out for me at the moment but I've found myself not skipping any tracks.

Mouse Guard: Winter 1152
Mouse Guard: Winter 1152
by David Petersen

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Second Installment, 21 Feb 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Nice development of the core characters, an excellent wintery atmosphere and an adventure in a dark and mysterious underground city. What more could you ask for?

The art was, once again, stunning.

A worthy follow on from the first volume.

La Rebelion De Los Hom..
La Rebelion De Los Hom..
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4/5 because it hasn't aged well..., 21 May 2007
...but I still have a soft spot for this album. Manolo Garcia's voice is what really sets El Ultimo de la Fila apart with its unique and appealing timbre and his occasional and subtle use of traditional Spanish melodic devices. My Spanish isn't good enough to comment on the lyrics but I'm reliably informed Sr Garcia has a... unique turn of phrase. It's the arrangements which give its age away but the production is fantastic.

If you like rock, if you like interesting male voices and if you like extremely high production standards it's well worth a listen. As is Manolo's solo work.