Profile for extrafin > Reviews

Content by extrafin

extrafin

Flight to Coorah Creek (Choc Lit)
Flight to Coorah Creek (Choc Lit)

3.0 out of 5 stars No grit in the slush - funny for the red centre, 28 May 2014
It's okay sums it up. I was attracted by the scenario - girl (whoops, sorry BBC) and man fleeing their blameless pasts which they both felt ashamed of unnecessarily, and by the setting in the red centre of Australia, an area I love. The setting was brought out brilliantly. But the people were uniformly noble and good (apart from the caricature journalist), and didn't seem convincing. I did think that our female main character was going to match the good doctor by the time she'd been back to the aircraft for the second time (no spoilers here, read it to see what I mean) but it was not to be. But if you want a pile of reasonably well written slush without a real edge to it, this book's for you.

One Moment, One Morning
One Moment, One Morning

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked, 6 April 2014
I know it wasn't strictly a suspense type of novel, but the episodic treatment kept the interest up: I really wanted to know what was going to happen next (I'm writing a book at present and I'm trying to work out how to make readers care enough about my main character!). I know it was about the women, but a little more about the male point of view might have helped. Why four stars? It worked!

Teach Yourself Write a Novel and Get it Published
Teach Yourself Write a Novel and Get it Published
by Nigel Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Best writing book ever, 25 Aug. 2013
It was brilliant. I first read an earlier edition which I had borrowed from another member of our writing group and I had to order my own copy to keep by me forever. The categories to consider were well chosen, with pithy, straightforward comments and examples, and it really made me think about my own writing - lots of work there as I revise and rewrite! As ever, my writing is my writing, so all the comments don't necessarily fit on every occasion, but the guidance is very useful even if I then ignore it. Good to read straight off so you know what's in it, and then refer back to for particular thoughts.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start but petered out, 11 Aug. 2013
This was a very well-written book, descriptively, and the slow rebuilding of Harold's relationship with his wife was well handled. The first half of the book merited 5 stars, with the account of Harold's journey and the descriptions of the places he travelled through and the people he met. But - and it's quite a big but - it went off the rails with the silly story of the people who joined him, which turned it into a completely different kind of book. If it was meant to be funny, it wasn't.
But overall, the book still deserved 4 stars.

Running Blind
Running Blind
by Desmond Bagley

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep on running, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Running Blind (Paperback)
A classic thud and blunder adventure thriller. It keeps moving, so I can forgive it a lot, but I must say the characterisation is a bit two-dimensional except for one (see below). The plot gets a bit over-complicated, but so it does in all the best examples of the genre. The one well-drawn character? Iceland: brilliant.

The Castle of Otranto
The Castle of Otranto

4.0 out of 5 stars The King of Gothic(k?), 24 Mar. 2013
I know the genre isn't to everyone's taste and viewed from now it is totally over the top, but at the time it must have been a breath of fresh air. It's well written, the story keeps rattling along, the characters are believable (within the idea's parameters) and compared with later examples (I read it to compare with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - what a badly written load of tosh) it stands out. The basic premise is a bit far-fetched, but isn't that what it's all about?

Loving; Living; Party Going (Picador books)
Loving; Living; Party Going (Picador books)
by Henry Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Non-novel, 7 Oct. 2012
This was, as a novel, very boring. A one-off picture of what in a previous generation would have been called bright young things. They were stranded in the station hotel at Victoria Station because of fog, in the late forties/early fifties; very lttle happened and what did happen was uninteresting in the extreme. It was a good picture of their bland lives but why bother to write it all? We read it for our book group, and towards the end of our discussion I realised that it would have made a much better stage play than a novel - it was very mannered and stagey.

Give yourself a good time - go and watch some paint dry or some snails mating instead.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Kindle Edition)
This is a load of badly written melodramatic tosh. I can't think why so much fuss is made of it. Even at the time, its subject matter might have attracted attention, particularly when the true identity of the author was revealed, but even so the plot, as a plot, is rubbish and the characterisation is thin and two dimensional. The settings are good, I will grant, but that's about the only redeeming feature. I only recently read the book for the first time, but went on to discover Jane Eyre. Now that's a whole different kettle of fish...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2014 4:23 PM BST