Profile for Gunitini > Reviews

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1): A Jane Yellowrock Novel
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1): A Jane Yellowrock Novel
Price: 4.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was a skinwalker., 8 Jun 2014
This book is so enjoyable. Full of humour, mystery, a brilliant heroine who has street smarts up the wazzoo, a witty, dry sense of humour, lots of sexy males for her to toy with and overall is well written and sumptuous with detail and history. (Oh, and rides a motorbike like a bad ads). It's clever and not at all predictable. I liked the main characters sassy attitude and no nonsense approach to her job. The relationship between her and the beast within is amusing and interesting, and there's plenty of room for a full series, of which I believe there is, so I'm very excited to keep reading. I would recommend this to all avid urban fantasy readers like myself. I always like it when an author writes about vampires, witches, were's etc with their own unique ideas of the history of them and doesn't just go with the run of the mill myths you see so often nowadays. Highly recommended.

Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency)
Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency)
Price: 0.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Underworld funsies., 25 May 2014
I read a lot of urban fantasy, can't get enough, and I really enjoyed this book. It's refreshingly unique. Not at all predictable or run of the mill. The lead character is funny, dry and can laugh at herself, (and frequently does), and is very down to earth. She's also a little closer to my age than the average heroine is in these types of books which I find very welcome. (About thirty. Not all leads have to be seventeen and emotionally unstable). Also the plot doesn't go by the usual rules and has its own agenda which is what makes it so different and enjoyable. Although I did guess who the bad guy was before they were revealed, there were still enough surprises there to keep the story interesting. It's well written, smart and I enjoyed the world that Jayne has created. Gonna go read the next book in the series now. (Yay, a series!).

Realm Walker
Realm Walker
Price: 1.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly impressed., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Realm Walker (Kindle Edition)
A really well written, well thought out book. Loved the heroine in all her back-talking, bad-assed wit. The plot moves along at a good pace and I didn't feel that any of it was predictable, which is always a necessity in a good read.
This kind of story within the urban fantasy genre is probably my favourite type to indulge in. The main character being a head strong young woman in a tough job in a crazy world full of demons, vampires, witches, werewolves and competing agencies. Having to deal with a hectic life on all fronts-family,job, love life. She's clever, abuses all the rules to suit her, travels her own path, has a dark past, kills bad guys for a living and is constantly in trouble. Love it.
This is smart and cleverly written and I can't wait for the next in the series. I hope there's a lot more to come.

Finder: First Ordinance, Book One
Finder: First Ordinance, Book One
Price: 3.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing tale though slow to get started., 8 May 2014
Overall a great read and I will be getting the next in the series. If you like fantasy novels with kingdoms, flying beings and of course tyrannical rulers then read it. I loved the mix of old and new in the different countries/continents. This book definitely has more to give the further you read.

The cover intrigued me from the get go and after reading the sample something made me want to read the full story, though it wasn't until further in that I started to get excited about this book. I'd say the beginning seems like it's not really going anywhere until the tale moves to the third location, then it starts to get very interesting, everything before giving a clearer picture of what's going on. (So I recommend sticking with it). I found the plot and theme completely compelling and full of original ideas and though at times it's hard to keep up with the characters, (there are so many), there is a great combination of good guys and bad. I really got to liking the heroine as well, seeing her beaten and miss used so much you really want her to triumph. All the main characters are well placed.
The only drawback to the book for me is that it takes too long to get going, and in the beginning you don't get drawn into the action very much or care about the characters and even at the end there were characters I wanted to know more about or care about to a greater extent but not enough had been written about them, their reactions/feelings weren't clear and so I was left wanting so much more. This might be due to the view points we get, the author writes in the first person viewpoint of the main character only, with the rest written in the third person view, giving an overall narrative that leaves the reader a little separated from the story, or emotion. That's just me, anyway. I'd liked to have read the whole thing from a few specific characters viewpoints instead. I think it would have been much more enthralling.
Sometimes authors can put too much information into their story so the readers own imagination is left with no room to play, and sometimes not quite enough is included. I felt that the latter was true in this case as times, though it did not leave the story bereft, just with me wanting parts fleshed out more and characters made more vivid and alive. Especially Amlis and Justis. You don't always feel like the action and adventure are pulling you in enough, but there is so much going on on so many levels it doesn't fail to keep you guessing and entertaining. It just feels like maybe one more draft would have got it perfect.

Dreams of Gods and Monsters: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book Three
Dreams of Gods and Monsters: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book Three
Price: 4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent magical triumph!, 29 April 2014
Best read I've read in a long time, and by a long way too. So full of vivid imaginings, colourful and poetic words, worlds and landscape. The characters will sing for you, make you laugh, cry and want to fly with them. Or at the very least warm you with their wings while you sleep. A great book from beginning to and ending that felt like a whole new beginning. And I'm definitely having cake for later. X

The Undead Pool
The Undead Pool
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Trific, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Undead Pool (Kindle Edition)
Pretty good stuff as usual from one of my favourite urban fantasy writers. Hope there's more to come! Oh yeah

Immune: Book 2 (A Rylee Adamson Novel)
Immune: Book 2 (A Rylee Adamson Novel)
Price: 2.40

4.0 out of 5 stars totally addicted, 30 Mar 2014
Loving this series so far. Pretty glad there's more! If you like ballsy heroines with loopy werewolf pets, harpies training with bear guardians, stinky ogres that need killing and badass FBI agents that also happen to be damn sexy and possibly bad for your health then look no further.

Kindle PowerFast Charger for Accelerated Charging, UK (for Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers)
Price: 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have got 5 stars but..., 15 Mar 2014
Works wonders BUT SHOULD BE FREE WITH PRODUCT!!!
Bought after went down in price but still not happy about it.

3pc decorators filling knife and paint scraper set.
3pc decorators filling knife and paint scraper set.
Offered by 4 Home & More
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for diy, 15 Mar 2014
Good sturdy scraping knives. Perfect for filling hole on stairs with filler, will come in handy for a multitude of jobs.

Seven Years (Seven Series #1)
Seven Years (Seven Series #1)
Price: 2.42

4.0 out of 5 stars That lean though., 2 Feb 2014
I enjoyed this book a lot. It's full of drama and a likeable heroine, even though at times she really doesn't ask enough questions about the all the crazy that's constantly being thrown at her. At first it did seem a bit like there should be more explanations and better world building. When the main character first discovers the truth about Shifters existing, she just kind of accepts it with little interest in asking a million questions and it's just written in without going into too much detail. It's sort of done on a need to know basis. I think in this case, as the novel progresses it does work having the reader be in the dark as much as the heroine is, but I would have enjoyed knowing more about the supernatural world that's created. The history and so on.
There was an oddity when the main character described details about how the Mage got his power that she shouldn't have had a clue about, nor was it explained how she knew it, and I felt like some things were just skimmed over, like Austin casually mentioning the existence of vampires, among other supernatural's, without any other details. That was very annoying. It's the first book I have read by the author though and I wonder if it would make more sense if I'd read her series on Magi first. Non of this really stops the book from being enjoyable though. I liked the history between the two main characters, and the fact that there was so much going on. There's a nice mix of familial drama and romantic problems, coupled with past horrors and deep wounds that aren't over- done, (I hate those writers who make their main characters so broken and self involved that they become unbelievable), and you get a sense from the way the supporting characters are written that they all have a story to tell and more books will accompany this one with supporting characters taking the lead roles. Which is good because you really get drawn into their lives and want to know about their pasts, etc. Especially all the hot, dangerous, mysterious brothers. Not to mention the sweet- shop manager and Reno. I'll look forward to that!
As to things not always being explained fully, I guess it does lend a certain amount of mystique to the story. It does leave you wanting more.
There's passion in it aplenty but it's not overly raunchy, which is good. Some UF books are too focused on the sex and the plot gets left behind.
There were one or two laugh-out-loud points, and the ending, without spoiling it, is nicely tied together. I especially like what happened when they watched the setting sun. Very satisfying.
So, all in all I would recommend this book. It's well written, witty, the characters are sound and it gives you a nice warm feeling all in all. The pace is good, and although it doesn't really build up to a massive climax, the drama is well done and exciting enough. I could have done with a little more darkness here and there, (no pun intended), but it certainly didn't disappoint and I will be reading more by this author.
There, hope that's helpful to someone.

Page: 1 | 2