Profile for Scally Cross > Reviews

Content by Scally Cross

Scally Cross "Scally" (Horley, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Merry Christmas, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 19)
Merry Christmas, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 19)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 21 Jan 2013
usual predictable stuff. Alex cross hero, family at risk, saves the day - dont know why I bought it really.

The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars kept me guessing, 21 Jan 2013
I am the world's worst for identifying the culprit in a crime thriller around a quarter of the way through the book. This one kept me guessing til the end. This was pacy, unpredictable, the characters were well defined and had warmth. I wanted to find out what happened next. I will be reading Peter May again

Hi-Tec Women's Waimea Falls Light Blue/Cool Grey/Bluemoon Sandal F000460/033/01 6 UK, 39 EU, 8 US

4.0 out of 5 stars Really comfortable, 21 Jan 2013
These - while not the best looking - are safe, sturdy, and anatomically correct. They have an arch support moulded into the sole which makes them super comfortable (unlike ballet flats whichare the most unsupportive shoe I have ever seen/worn). The blue is a cornflower colour - and the straps a softish fabric - sturdy enough to support though. Only down side may be down to the shape of my feet - my little toes keep popping out of the side.

Irregular Choice Women's Abigails Party Purple Ankle Boots 3081-4BJ 6 UK
Irregular Choice Women's Abigails Party Purple Ankle Boots 3081-4BJ 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I love love love these!, 21 Jan 2013
These boots are FAB!! they look amazing with denim skinnies and with opaques and a skirt. Not the most comfortable boots in the world, but hot diggity they look good!

Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast
Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast
by Ani Phyo

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes some adapting - but worth it!, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast (Hardcover)
I've loved most of the flavours, and textures (with one or two notable exceptions). I found the cold soup texture a challenge, especially those without advocado, until I replaced the filtered water with ice cubes. After the first 3 days (which are JUST smoothies and soups, 3 smoothies and 3 soups per day) I was craving something to bite - but have not been hungry at all. Days 4 to 7 give you 1 meal with bite per day (a LARGE salad), day 8 onward gives 2 meals a day not pureed to a smoothie or soup. I was already a practicing healthy vegan (and dont do processed foods at all - just varied veg/fruit/pulses etc), but my skin is already clearer, my hair shining, and my weight dropping.
I'm 8 days in - with a stone to lose - and have lost 4 pounds - so it works! BUT... really hard to do if you are not based at home, unless you can cart a food blender to work with you, or half a dozen smoothies and soups to work and back each day. Will I continue raw - probably yes for morning breakfast smoothie and lunch - but I wont be going raw full time when the 15 days is up - I will go high raw (75% raw).

Mizuno Lady Wave Nirvana 7 Running Shoes - 6
Mizuno Lady Wave Nirvana 7 Running Shoes - 6

5.0 out of 5 stars in heaven!, 15 Jun 2012
I need a stability shoe as a moderate overpronator - had the Nirvana 6's - but 500 miles later the cushioning had collapsed. I couldnt get the Nirvana through my local supplier - so tried some Saucony - that was £100 wasted! Putting these on my feet was like coming home - all the aches disappeared.

21-day Weight Loss Kickstart
21-day Weight Loss Kickstart
by Dr Neal Barnard

4.0 out of 5 stars great book - with pitfalls, 25 Aug 2011
OK - I knew what this was going into it (I have Dr Barnards other book 'Get Healthy, Go Vegan) - but be aware that this is a Vegan kickstart before you buy it. The book is divided into the 'why' the 'how' and the 'kickstart recipes/menus' - and the why and the how are interesting in two ways. 1. Dr Barnard explains things - like what diabetes actually is and how it relates to your cells and body behaviour - in a readable and understandable way. He doesnt blind you with science, though the science references are there if you want to check up on the individual studies. 2. He makes good use (almost overuse) of NLP. The mantra's - you will succeed/achieve amazing results etc are repeated so often it's almost irritating. That said, in the 3 weeks I have lost 6 lb on a vegan diet. The recipes work, and are tasty - make sure you like beans, rice and pasta tho

Downside NLP is overused, and pages 1 to 122 are devoted to the vegan sell
Upside - it works

Kensington Windshield Car Mount with Sound Amplified Cradle for iPhone
Kensington Windshield Car Mount with Sound Amplified Cradle for iPhone

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok - but HUGE, 18 Aug 2011
It does what it says on the tin - holds the phone firmly, and does amplify the sound - however it is HUGE. For those of you used to the miniscule Tom Tom holders - this will take up half the windshield in comparison.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World: 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG - why did I buy this -my poor waistline!, 28 July 2011
If you love cupcakes you simply have to try this book. The layout can drive me nuts - it cross references itself all over the place (ginger cup cake (recipe follows) with lemony butter cream (Page 148) etc, but my gosh it's worth it. The Rum and raisin cup cakes with rum glaze and rummy butter cream are to die for, and the mucho margarita cupcake is divine. All the recipes I've tried have worked superbly (and I've tried 10 of the 75) - and my expanding waistline is testament to that. Now I'll have to go to the Zumba classes to work them off!

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Isa Chandra gets better and better, 27 July 2011
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it with seitan) is delish. Having the calorie count per serving really helps too. Only point to note is that this is an American cookbook, and needs some translation for UK users - so a tablespoon is a uk dessert spoon, arugula is rocket leaves, cilantro is coriander, shortening is cookeen or trex and canola oil is rapeseed oil. The cookipedia web site is a useful reference for translating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3