Profile for David V. Daw > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Secret Bury St Edmunds
Secret Bury St Edmunds
by Martyn Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating glimpse behind the scenes of a beautiful town., 5 Nov 2014
This review is from: Secret Bury St Edmunds (Paperback)
I have lived in Bury St Edmunds for about 11 years and am very fond of my adopted town. One only has to walk around the town centre to see that the town is full of history, but this book shows the hidden details that all but the serious will not find.

The author is a registered town guide and he really knows his stuff. The book is crammed with fascinating facts which are accompanied by clear colour photographs and maps. There has obviously been a great deal of careful research behind this book, and it is written in a style that almost has you thinking that the author is taking you on one of his guided walks.

It is a shame that the subject matter of this book restricts its appeal to those who have direct connection with this jewel of a town, but that cannot be otherwise. I would thoroughly recommend this book; its purchase will add a lot of pleasure to walks around the town.

AVANTEK R22 3-Socket Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter DC Outlet Splitter USB Car Charger for Cell Phones, iPhones, iPads & Tablet Computers, White
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality item., 19 July 2014
I have bought similar products to this before, but they turned out to be of inferior quality. This purchase was made in the hope that a higher price would mean better quality; that is not always the case, but this adapter is superb. The plugs and sockets are a tight fit to ensure good electrical connectivity, unlike the cheap stuff that wobbles around and looses power every time it moves.

I was pleased to find a pair of double-sided sticky pads on the back of the adapter. I cleaned the interior surface of the dashboard with a silicone remover prior to attaching the adapter, and it has stuck fast.

All in all, I would highly recommend this product if you want something that works well and looks as though it will continue to work well for years.

Ride to the Midnight Sun - A Motorcycle Adventure in two weeks and one day
Ride to the Midnight Sun - A Motorcycle Adventure in two weeks and one day

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, but some problems., 20 Dec 2013
I liked this short account of a motorcycle trip to Nordkapp and back, but although it was interesting enough to retain me there were some annoying aspects. I found the misuse of apostrophes really niggling, along with other examples of poor grammar. Many readers would say that I should get over my concerns, but for me it detracted from what was otherwise a reasonable read.

The author does not get bogged down in detail, but there is sufficient to assist someone planning a similar journey. His trip was done alone, and many times he seems to crave company, but he fails to approach other bikers, claiming that he could sense they did not want to partake of any camaraderie. He then moans about the lack of friendship that is alleged to exist between bikers. Unless you are willing to make the first move, shyness can often get in the way of what could have been an enjoyable evening spent with others. I'd like to say to him, "Speak to someone. What is the worst that could happen?" Travelogues at their best feature great tales, not of scenery, but of chance meetings with interesting humans, and this is where this book kind of misses the boat.

The premise of the book is that one does not need to go overland to Tibet for a decent motorcycle adventure, and the tale does provide evidence for that. Perhaps the author's tight time frame for his trip meant that he spent too much time in the saddle clicking off the miles; an extra week, or a shorter journey to the Arctic Circle, would have left him with a better chance of making some connections with people he met en route.

12 Countries in 12 days on a 1200: GS Adventures
12 Countries in 12 days on a 1200: GS Adventures

3.0 out of 5 stars More detail needed., 15 Dec 2013
I read this in a couple of hours, and quite enjoyed it. There is detail of the routes traveled, distances, time it took, etc., but the book lacks something. I wanted to know more about the rider, and the people he encountered, along with how he felt on the tour. Having said that, it was good enough to keep my interest going until the end.

Old Gits On Bikes
Old Gits On Bikes

4.0 out of 5 stars Finished it in one sitting, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Old Gits On Bikes (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was a real adventure for the two old gits, and that comes across in the way it is written. I ride a bike myself, but I have never been a Continental tour; even this morning I tried to persuade my wife to go to the Austrian Tyrol on the back of my BMW, but she claimed not to be a daredevil. Books like this mean that I can enjoy motorcycle touring through the experiences of others.

baguettes and bicycles: a cycling adventure across France (Eurovelo Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A well-written account of a food-based cycle journey, 20 April 2013
I am a real armchair cyclist; I love reading of other people's accounts of the trips I dream of making. I am also a confirmed Francophile, so this book appealed to me on a couple of fronts.

The author has written a large number of children's books, and is able to create accurate word pictures of his experiences and environment without using overblown prose. The book is little more than a diary of his route, his diet, his accommodation and his Alpine pass accomplishments; such an account could easily become dry in the hands of a writer who is less skilled, but certainly not in this case. I found myself eagerly turning the pages to explore and share his journey.

If you are contemplating a cycle tour that goes anywhere near the route along the Loire, or into the French Alps, you could do worse than read this book for the information on places to eat and sleep. It is more than just a simple travelogue though, as the author provides the reader with an antipodean viewpoint of France, her gastronomic delights, and her cycling pleasures.

Barring Mechanicals - From London to Edinburgh and back, on a recumbent bicycle
Barring Mechanicals - From London to Edinburgh and back, on a recumbent bicycle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book about cycling lunatics., 2 Oct 2012
I read this ages ago in paperback form and found it to be a superb insight into the lunatic world of ultra-distance cyclists. Quite why riders would want to cycle from London to Edinburgh and back in under 4 days is beyond me, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying reading about such an event. It is a really enjoyable read, but above all the reader comes away with enormous admiration for the author and his fellow riders.

Alcatraz To Liberty
Alcatraz To Liberty

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant account of 'going across'., 2 Oct 2012
I enjoyed this fairly concise account of a trip from San Francisco to New York. The author travelled alone, which is the best way to ensure that one is offered help and accommodation. For me he provides the right amount of cycling detail without becoming a nerd and losing the detail about what he sees and whom he meets. He gives the reader an intelligent insight into the highs and lows of such a huge undertaking. I found that it was hard to put down, and I swiftly devoured this book.

Taking The Long Way Home: Adventures of A Retired Couple Bicycling Across America

2.0 out of 5 stars Better cycling travelogues are available., 16 Sep 2012
The author was not a keen cycle tourist prior to this trip; he didn't even own a bike. The trip was undertaken after he nearly died of boredom with golf, so don't expect brilliant, dedicated cycling literature. The book is little more than a diary of events, and there are many more interesting books of this type available. He writes very little about the people he meets on the journey.

One thing not apparent from Amazon's blurb on the book is that the author and his wife and ardent Christians - nothing wrong with that, but be prepared for Bible quotes and all those who offer help on the trip being labelled as 'angels'. Someone who stops to assist a fellow cyclist with a puncture repair is hardly an angel in my book, but there you go.

The author kept friends up to date when actually on the journey with daily emails, and some of these are quoted in the book. I would have preferred it if he'd stuck to that style as they don't seem as dry as the rest of the writing.

Not a bad book, but it didn't float my boat to any huge extent.

Sticky Buns Across America: Back-roads biking from sea to shining sea
Sticky Buns Across America: Back-roads biking from sea to shining sea

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting travelogue read that's not only for cyclists., 2 Sep 2012
I am a really big fan of armchair cycling and have a large library containing accounts of many two-wheeled journeys. This book is an enjoyable read that I found hard to put down. It is far more than a dull account of the mechanics of a cycle trip and it is full of absorbing vignettes on America and its inhabitants.

The author is amusing, erudite, and writes in a very informal, humorous style. It is a very successful attempt to catalogue the real joys of cycle touring - the meeting of generous, hospitable folk who are eager to share their love of their homeland.

Buy it even if you are not a cyclist - it could inspire you to copy the author.

Page: 1 | 2