Profile for that_alto > Reviews

Content by that_alto

that_alto "that_alto"

Portuguese Verb Tenses: This practical guide provides explanations of verb categories, tenses and constructions, with  fully conjugated regular and ... and Brazilian Portuguese learners!: 1
Portuguese Verb Tenses: This practical guide provides explanations of verb categories, tenses and constructions, with fully conjugated regular and ... and Brazilian Portuguese learners!: 1
by Irineu De Oliveira Jr
Price: 7.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference tool which is building up my confidence, 14 Aug 2012
I am using this book as part of my Portuguese language lessons. I find it an excellent resource for when I need to check how to congugate the verbs and to help me focus on learning new vocabulary and verbs in small, managable chunks. For the times where I can't remember the verb or an ending the book is laid out in a way which allows me to quickly find the information I need. A highly useful aid alongside the lessons which helps me focus on the areas which I need to practice.

Burned (Henning Juul 1)
Burned (Henning Juul 1)
by Thomas Enger
Price: 9.26

3.0 out of 5 stars A series with potential..., 20 July 2011
I'm normally not drawn to this genre of books but received a copy and was interested by the blurb on the back of the book.
Henning Juul is the main character in this book and he has a troubled past. I really felt at the start of the book that the author really gave us a lot of background and a fabulous insight into the turmoil which Henning was trying to deal with, however as the story went on this seemed to loose prominence in the story and as a result I was left confused as to why such a detailed past had been created.
I felt that in places the translation didn't seem to do the book any favours, again this is hard to say for certain as it may be that the original Norwegian just didn't paint the picture I was looking for.
The story was well conceived but seemed to loose direction and passion part way through the story and I struggle to continue with the story.
Overall I think the premise of this book was highly promising and I will give the next offering in the series a read through but I'll be crossing my fingers that it can provide much more suspense and page turning tension that 'Burned'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 7:55 AM GMT

A Discovery of Witches
A Discovery of Witches
by Deborah Harkness

4.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent read, if a little difficult to initially get into., 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Discovery of Witches (Hardcover)
With the current outpouring of vampire inspired media it would be easy to view this as another work of fiction trying to make the best of the market for vampire fiction. I have to say that initially this was my opinion of this book but I stand corrected on my view. This is a highly engaging and intelligent work which transports the reader into the world of academic Oxford and gives many points to think over. The two main characters seem like such real people with their own personal struggles and history and this made them easy to relate to. As a result I found myself drawn into the story as I wanted to know what happen to Diana and Matthew as the story progressed. The start of the book didn't draw me in immediately but by page 100 I was eager to keep reading and find out what happened. This book could have easily been filled with clichés as the author explored the world of witches, vampires and daemons but the author choose to not dwell on the supernatural aspects of the characters and treat their differences in a very mater of fact manner which I feel makes the story much more accessible. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for future works by Deborah Harkness.

Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella does it again, 8 Oct 2004
What another fabulous book Nigella has produced. 'Feast' covers a variety of different events in life (Christmas, New Year, Easter, etc.) and gives a variety of mouth watering dishes for them all. A lot of thought has gone into this book. For example in the Christmas section not only do we have the traditional recipes for turkey et al but she also supplies suggestions for Christmas Eve (a meal that ends up being over looked most of the time) and suggestions of what to do with all those leftovers when you can't bear the thought of turkey anymore. Her chatty and encouraging writing style from her previous books is still very much in evidence here and instead of feeling instructed as you work through the recipes you feel as though your best friend has turned up and you are working through a bottle of red wine whilst creating in the kitchen. The recipes are easy to follow and the useful list of suppliers at the back makes it no chore to find any of the needed ingredients. A delight to cook from but also a true pleasure to read. Nigella's books should be on any aspiring cook's bookshelf.

Sabriel
Sabriel
by Garth Nix

5.0 out of 5 stars First of a fantastic trio, 21 Sep 2004
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
Not only does this book look beautiful but it is a wonderful read too. Garth Nix creates a wonderful world which the reader can believe in and where you care about the characters. This is an un-put-downable read and a pleasurable one at that (no frowning and trying to follow the story line here). These books would be great for encouraging reluctant teenagers to pick up a book and read or just a fabulous choice for lazy weekend reading.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine book, divine recipes, 8 Sep 2004
This is a beautiful looking book with mouth watering recipes in it. Just reading it made me want to go and work in my kitchen and make a pile of hot, delicious cakes and biscuits. Nigella's writing makes baking and cooking seem like a pleasure and she takes you through things step by step. There's no sense of panic as she explains that things can, and do, go wrong. She puts you at total ease and makes your kitchen a wonderful and relaxing place to be in.