Profile for Faye > Reviews

Content by Faye

Faye

The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners (Penguin Handbooks)
by Nicholas J. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too complicated and crammed chapters, 25 Jan. 2009
This book really is not suited for beginners, it is too complicated and expects a lot to be understood in one go. I have no connections to the language and English is my first language. I am taking a short Russian language course at my uni and this was the recommended text, however the chapters are FAR too crammed and it takes an age to go through each one and understand it well enough to be able to move on. And what I find annoying are the small extra sections after each sub-section where the author adds unecessary information that further complicates what you have just learnt making you confused again. I guess this is an adult learning guide, however I am 20 years old and pretty competent at learning languanges as I can speak 4 already, but I found this book to be far too complicated and quite boring to be honest, doing nothing to motivate me and excite me about the language.

If you were to buy this book I would say get a second hand copy because you'll most probably need to buy another guide to help you learn the language and simplify what is in this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2015 9:28 PM GMT