Profile for Mia1980 > Reviews

*4* LETTER NAME wooden alphabet train gift child engine
*4* LETTER NAME wooden alphabet train gift child engine
Offered by New-Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sept. 2014
Fantastic present, will be purchasing more. Thanks.

AMANDA HOCKING'S THE HOLLOWS: A HOLLOWLAND GRAPHIC NOVEL PART 1  (of 10)
AMANDA HOCKING'S THE HOLLOWS: A HOLLOWLAND GRAPHIC NOVEL PART 1 (of 10)

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy this, especially in kindle format, 13 Nov. 2013
I loved the book, I can't recommend it enough and I'd urge anyone to read it but I was sadly disappointed by the graphic novel. If I hadn't read the book, I may well have liked a bit but I also found the kindle format really didn't work for me. It showed a condensed form of the page with say 3-4 slides, then it showed each individual slide. This made it very fragmented and disjointed to me.

Maybe as an actual book, rather then kindle, would be better. If you haven't read the book you may well enjoy but after reading the book this just falls really short. If you read this and aren't sure, try the novel, same as if you like the graphic novel try the full on one. I don't think many who loved the full novel will enjoy it, sadly, but that's just my opinion. I was torn between 2 and 3 stars- I rated 3 because the plot is awesome (same as novel's) and the artwork is good, it just doesn't work for me a) because of the novel, it fell in comparison and b) because of the kindle format, most graphic novels really don't hold up well in kindle or tablet format they are better printed of viewed on a laptop.

Girl Z: My Life As A Teenage Zombie
Girl Z: My Life As A Teenage Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Zombie point of view, 2 Nov. 2013
I think the zombie point of view, especially when it's the struggle between human and turning like this is. There are both 'part-turned's' and full on zombies in this book which make for a great mix, especially when the full on zombies still go after Rebecca. In a lot of books with zombie hybrids, I've been disappointed to find the protagonist (hybrid) gets largely left alone by the zombies with the action happening around them. In this book, despite Rebecca being infected, she's fully in the action.

Becca is a likeable protagonist and seeing the world changing through her eyes and the different reactions to her from people makes for interesting reading. You don't meet Gabe for a while into the book but personally I preferred that, it let me get to know Rebecca and her cousin as the plotline unfolded.

Things do unfold slowly at first, just so people who like diving straight into the action are aware, but I prefer it because I get to see the trauma, emotional and physical change from infection slowly unfold in Rebecca's life. I did think I was going to be disappointed by the end but the author surprised me and definitely did not disappoint. I'd recommend people giving it a read.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 7:17 PM GMT

The Zombie Wilson Diaries
The Zombie Wilson Diaries

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark humour, double meanings, 2 Nov. 2013
Very enjoyable read by the end, though I have to be honest and say I was pretty unsure about the book during the first two chapters. Each chapter has a title 'my girlfriend' with a double meaning that makes itself known and is really (darkly) funny.

The protagonist definitely has an interesting way of looking at things and I was compelled to keep reading the book. It's well worth a read and I am left wondering what happens after the end of the book but I do think the author left it in a fantastic place- any more and things would start to get repetitive, they've found the good mix between ending on a note and keeping a reading wanting.

The Nevermore Trilogy (A Romantic Suspense)
The Nevermore Trilogy (A Romantic Suspense)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this trilogy, 31 Oct. 2013
I downloaded this trilogy because it worked out better then downloading the second two separately and I'd already read book 1 as a free kindle download which had intrigued me.

I enjoyed the other two books, I must admit, better then the first as well. I did find three ended at a point that I didn't like, purely because I wanted to know what else would be happening after the ending. I'd recommend reading especially if you like romance and character-heavy while lighter on the infection side of things. I do think the three books could have been made as one because they are shorter then I personally like, but with the trilogy being available you get the 3-in-1.

White Belt (Dani's Belts Book 1)
White Belt (Dani's Belts Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good short story, interested in reading the sequel, 31 Oct. 2013
I liked the protagonist, the plot was really good and the zombies were gory and graphic with a touch of freaky.

Definitely too short for me in that I wanted to read more right away, but written well because I wanted to read more. I downloaded this for free and personally wouldn't pay for a story that's short like this but I'd like to read more in this 'verse- especially if they are longer.

The Last Zombie
The Last Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good short story, would be good to see more in this 'verse, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Last Zombie (Kindle Edition)
Really good story, drew me in instantly, I'd recommend reading.

I downloaded this for free, personally I wouldn't pay for it because of the length even though it's very well-written. What I would definitely consider reading and possibly paying for is a collection of more ficlets or a longer story in this universe expanding on everything that happened.

Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy)
Sundered: Book 1 (The Nevermore Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit too short for my liking but enjoyable read, 30 Oct. 2013
Enjoyable read, for sure, but I did find the story too short because I was really starting to get into it when it ended-on an annoying(yet compelling) cliffhanger.

I like Mara and Dan as well, not so keen on Bastion in all honesty. He seemed like a nice enough guy but nothing to make me really like him until he messed up majorly then I found myself more intrigued by him.

I'm going to read book 2 because I want to know what happens to Mara, I would recommend reading more to people who want more character-driven and personal fic with a bit of infection then those that want just the real nitty-gritty apocalypse gore fic. While the apocalypse is there, and in a very interesting way, the focus is more on the characters and it is a romantic suspense-just as it says on the book.

Zombie Zora (Zora Baker)
Zombie Zora (Zora Baker)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, interesting plot, well worth a read, 30 Oct. 2013
I'd definitely like to see more in this verse, Zora is certainly a strong character I can get on board with. She's strong in heart but the fact that she was a civilian shows the adaptation needed for survival and the emotions that run behind it. I do like that she finds it hard to be a soldier because it's very realistic and only adds to her being very interesting.

Towards the end there's a fair bit more creepiness which while hard to read is also very realistic and compelling. I'd recommend reading. I'd be interested to see more regarding one of the character (don't want to give too much away) and about the infection as a whole.

Lifehack
Lifehack

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this story, have now purchased 2 and 3, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The female characters were all very strong but very real in personality and it was welcome to see- most zombie fiction does tend to involve less strong female characters or over the top Mary-Sue types.

I loved the concept of nanites and the villan, I haven't yet seen other fiction using the same idea and plot played out well.

I have downloaded 2 and 3 because I'm very interested to see more in this verse, especially book 3 piques my interest.

Interestingly, where it falls down a bit for me is the same as for the other reviewer- while the characters are great, sometimes they are a little too over-the-top in regards to personal lives given the military setting. Especially with the addition of a certain disliked character on the team. While I do like that kind of personal touch and love getting into the characters lives and emotions, I think a less military setting wouldn't have seemed so over the top to me- it was purely that setting it felt a bit off for.

I also found some of the action scenes a bit to much for some of the characters too- Regan, for example, it was hard to see her just pick up a gun and start fighting like a military person in the very beginning. After a while, survival fighting, but in the first instance it was more grabbing guns and less grabbing sharp objects. She seemed instantly good with guns which i found a bit odd. The other characters it was expected, so I didn't find that odd at all but Regan- at the very first- it did.

I would definitely recommend reading this book, it's very well-written.

Page: 1 | 2