Profile for N. Holt > Reviews

FSC Wooden Economy Raised Bed - Single Layer
FSC Wooden Economy Raised Bed - Single Layer
Offered by The Recycle Works Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to construct and great value, 4 Mar 2014
Lovely little kit. It comes with everything you need to set up a single-layer bed. The materials are good quality and it's really easy to knock together, took about 5 minutes and a mallet. The connectors are large enough to make a second layer an option, so you could double the depth of the bed with some extra planks. Very good value compared to the other kits I looked at, I'll be buying more.

Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser
Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome piece of kit - stopped years of gum bleeding, 4 Mar 2014
My gums bled for years. Dentists couldn't stop it and gave up with it, flossing and medicated mouthwashes couldn't stop it, I just ignored it. I got this contraption and started water flossing and all bleeding had stopped within a week. That's not the sort of thing I usually get excited about, but it does mean I can eat apples in public without people staring in horror; and being able to clean my teeth with no blood is just nice. It's easy to use and the tank holds enough water to give your gumline a good, thorough clean. It has variable blast settings (1-10) and comes with a variety of attachments which I don't use. Highly recommended.

LOFTEK® Nexus 543 Outdoor Wireless/wired Waterproof IP Camera 4mm Lens 36 Infrared LEDs with Night Vision. Silver
Offered by Union J Plaza

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid camera, bit of a swine to install, 23 Jan 2014
The camera itself is well built and good quality, very good value for money. The picture is good, even in low light.

Installing was a bit of a challenge. My router IP was 192.168.1.1 and the camera is in the IP address range 192.168.0.x. It took me a while to work out that I needed to change the IP addresses of both the connecting computers and the router to match the camera before I could see it on the network. I wouldn't recommend this camera for anyone not comfortable with changing network settings, it's definitely not a plug-and-play device.

My only other whinge is the quality of the mount. The base plate is a bit flimsy and the ball-socket joint to move the camera is a bit loose, so the camera has a tendency to drop if it's left in certain positions.

All in all though it's a good camera and should be perfect as an outdoor IP camera... and it's much cheaper than comparable products.

Genuine Tawas Crystal Aluminium Free Deodorant on Rope 125g
Genuine Tawas Crystal Aluminium Free Deodorant on Rope 125g

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not aluminium free!, 22 Jan 2014
The description is very, very misleading. Crystal deodorants are based on alum salts such as ammonium alum (short for ammonium aluminium sulphate) - so the main active ingredient in all crystal deodorants is aluminium. Various 'green' brands are marketing these as aluminium free, which is very dishonest. It's frustrating to see so many positive comments from people who are clearly making an effort to cut down their exposure to aluminium, without realising that by using these products they are doing precisely the opposite.

This product works and is good value for money, but I can't give more than two stars to a product which lies so blatantly in its marketing material.

Harman Kardon JBL ON TOUR BLACK PORTABLE
Harman Kardon JBL ON TOUR BLACK PORTABLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for the size, 1 Aug 2012
I'm used to cheaper portable speakers with low volume and tinny, poor-quality sound. I've been really impressed by these. I've used them with my laptop and tablet for music, films and games, and they're great. They're very light, compact, have a slide-over cover to protect them in transit and come with a handy pouch. The sound is nice and full, with simple volume buttons. They look pretty stylish too. Top marks.

Window Art Deluxe Refill Set
Window Art Deluxe Refill Set
by Klutz Press
Edition: Misc. Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product - and not just for kids, 24 July 2012
I bought the book with the basic paint selection and started downloading stained glass designs from the net to try out on my windows. Within a couple of days I'd gone through most of the bottles, so ordered this set. There are more colours, all very vibrant, and plenty of black liner paint. The paints are very easy to use and the results are wonderful. With a bit of effort you can make beautiful stained glass panels for windows or decorate mirrors, doors, the fridge... just about any shiny surface you have. I think these will keep me out of trouble for a while. Great product and great value. Probably OK for kids too ;-)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful shoe with some disappointing details, 27 Jun 2012
This is a lovely shoe. It's stylish and amazingly comfortable. When I first received them I wore them around the house for days, not wanting to take them off. The problems came when I really tested them on some longer walks. Their first outing was an unchallenging path walk of 2 miles. That revealed a problem in the design of the velcro strap. It's slightly rough on the front edge where the velcro is stitched to the strap. It rubbed the skin off a patch of my foot - on both feet, in the same place. I spent a week or so sporting rather unflattering stigmata. I took them out for another walk (7 miles) and tried adjusting the straps continually to find a position that didn't damage my feet but as soon as I started walking they began to rub. After a mile or so I switched to my trusty Teva sandals.

The second problem was the antibacterial fabric treatment which is supposed to stop them from smelling. I don't have particularly smelly feet but after a couple of outings they stank. I had to put them through the washing machine - it's just not possible to clean a shoe any other way when they get like that. The treatment seemed to have no effect at all.

Now I just wear them around the house and garden, which is a huge disappointment. I've been trying to find a nice, stylish pair of light-weight walking shoes for a long time and unfortunately these are added to the long line of non-performers.

On the plus side they do look lovely. The colours are nice and vibrant, making a change from the usual dull looking performance footwear. The barefoot thing works well - they fit like a glove and enable a very natural walking style. The Vibram sole is grippy and flexible and the whole shoe seems to be very well constructed and durable. They're incredibly light too. If it wasn't for the 2 problems it'd be a 5/5 and I wouldn't walk in anything else.

An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding, Volume II - New Century Edition with DirectLink Technology

1.0 out of 5 stars Direct Link technology?, 17 April 2011
I bought this edition from the many available on the promise of it being 'easy for you to navigate the various chapters of this book'. In fact there is no navigation at all, no contents listing at the beginning, and it's nigh on impossible to find a particular chapter. Very misleading description.

Quoting: Happiness
Quoting: Happiness

1.0 out of 5 stars Short. Very short., 25 Mar 2011
I was hoping this would be a fairly comprehensive collection of quotes relating to happiness, possibly broken down by category. In fact it's a very small selection of quotes, and only stretches to 6 Kindle pages. That's a couple of sides of A4. A few minutes on Google turns up far more comprehensive and interesting collections. Very disappointing, even for 72p.

Refuting Evolution: A Handbook for Students, Parents, and Teachers Countering the Latest Arguments for Evolution
by Ken Ham

1.0 out of 5 stars Religion dressed up as pseudo-science, 4 Oct 2008
The first thing to note about this book is that it is not written by an expert in evolution. Dr Safarti is an extremist Christian with a PhD in theology; and he writes for the Journal of Creation. His agenda is clear - he is promoting the Christian creation myth as fact. His education in biology is non-existent. This becomes obvious throughout the the book, in which the author demonstrates an embarrassing lack of understanding of even the basics of evolutionary biology. He presents no evidence to refute any aspect of evolutionary theory, and either misunderstands the subject completely or simply manufactures dishonest statements which he can then knock down.

When I'm ill I call a doctor. If I want to learn about evolution I do not call a theologist. His agenda is clear throughout, his lack of scientific understanding is typical of a creationist, and this book is absolutely peppered with factual inaccuracies and deliberate dishonesty.

His defence of the Biblical timeline demonstrates his ignorance in other areas - namely geology, chemistry, history and physics. Facts are twisted and omitted in a desperate attempt to infer that the Bible is accurate, even though there are written records which are older than than his date for the creation of the Earth.

This really is stupidity and ignorance at its worst, and the only people who will give it any credence are those who happen to have been brought up believing the same book. This won't convince anyone willing to look openly and honestly at the evidence.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 12:16 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2