ARRAY(0xabf2b3cc)

Profile for Smokey Joe > Reviews

Content by Smokey Joe

Smokey Joe "biglouis" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
STANLEY KUBRICK : A LIFE IN PICTURES
STANLEY KUBRICK : A LIFE IN PICTURES
Dvd ~ TOM CRUISE
Offered by Talbot Media
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for all photographers, 14 April 2014
Yes, I know Stanley Kubrick is a film director but you have to understand his personal journey to see why he is for the very best 'film' director of all time. This documentary takes you deeply into his life with outstanding contributions from close friends and family who explain his approach to direction and cinematography. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Icy Dock MB990SP-B Dual 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch SATA and IDE SSD/HDD Bracket
Icy Dock MB990SP-B Dual 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch SATA and IDE SSD/HDD Bracket
Price: 7.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an ideal bracket, 14 April 2014
I sent this bracket back for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it was not wide enough to fit my drive bays, which is a bit weird and I'm not sure at all why. Secondly, it is made of plastic. Maybe I don't understand the laws of physics but plastic is not a great heat conductor and SSDs get very hot. If I had know it was plastic I would never have bought it - clearly, a steel bracket is going to a far better job.

Corsair CMFPLA8GB 8GB 256-Bit Encryption USB Flash Drive
Corsair CMFPLA8GB 8GB 256-Bit Encryption USB Flash Drive
Price: 19.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 14 April 2014
I bought this device because I back up my work PC so I can access the files I need at home. Everyone does this but as one wag pointed out the information should really be encrypted and password protected. With that in mind I bought this device. It was easy to set up and it works exactly as described. My only reason for not awarding five stars is that it is a big item and not as convenient as many of the smaller - and of course unprotected - USB drives you can buy today. Still, if like me looks and size are not a problem I can thoroughly recommend the device.

Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive
Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive
Price: 168.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the internet forums before purchase, 14 April 2014
I wish I had. This device would not format in my desktop computer of less than one year old based on up to date technology. I already have an Intel 120GB SSD which is my boot drive but I wanted a larger drive for my photographs and processing software. This SSD consistently refused to be formatted under Windows7 either hanging or created a BSOD with a completely undecipherable reason (thanks Microsoft!) The suggested solutions found at both Crucial's website (you get the feeling they really don't want to admit a problem with this drive and that everything must be your fault) are bothersome and not convincing. I wish I had read the internet forums before wasting time with the device. It might work for you but it was a waste of time for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 12:48 AM BST

East End Photographs
East End Photographs
by Steven Berkoff
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential east end photographs, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: East End Photographs (Hardcover)
This is an excellent collection of candid portraits and urban street photography centred around Whitechapel and Spitalfields in the 1960s. This book is not just a homage to a celebrity snapper - Berkoff is a very fine photographer and he could easily have gone on to match Don McCullin or Chris Kilip had he stuck to his art. The quality of the photography is supported by the authentic memories of Berkoff. The packaging, in a sturdy hardback is very good as is the quality of the printing. Essential purchase for lovers of the lost east end.

Live in Hamburg 1977
Live in Hamburg 1977
Price: 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The master in his prime, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Live in Hamburg 1977 (Audio CD)
Actually, my title is a little unfair. I don't think Ry Cooder has ever not been in his prime. His most recent releases are in my humble opinion just as much a celebration of taste and virtuosity as his earliest eponymous album.

Although his catalogue of releases has included 'Showtime' which was a live release there has been very little available of his concerts other than via the bootleggers. Indeed, I'm not sure this is not from a previous bootleg which I purchased nearly 20 years ago. However, this is better packaged and without the timing 'pips' which meant that it was from a radio recording of some kind.

Anyway, back to the music. Yes, perhaps there could be a slightly better fidelity in the soundstage but you'll quickly find that is entirely made transparent by the sheer beauty of Cooder's delivery. A great part of this album is actually an acoustic set with one or two other musicians or backing singers. Every performance is worthy of note but my favourites have to be 'One Meatball', if only because Cooder has been entirely responsible for keeping alive this wonderful piece of Americana (for which he should receive some kind of Congressional medal, imho) and 'Fool for a cigarette' which just keeps you engaged from start to finish. "Let Your Light Shine On Me" is a tribute I suspect to the Bahamian musician Joseph Spence - it is certainly delivered in that style.

If you are an audiophile and you pass on this album then you are an audiophilistine because as far as performances go it does not get better than this. Cooder demonstrates that he has to be taken seriously as one of the world's leading guitarists.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 12:16 AM GMT

Safe House
Safe House
Price: 3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read this year, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
At last - an author that can actually write! I've read a lot of very disappointing fiction recently. From the opening paragraph I was engaged with this intriguing tale as it unfolded. Ewan creates incredibly real characters - even the dog jumps off the page at you (I kid you not). Characters you identify with and want to find out more about. I read in the morning on my commute and last thing at night and I have to say I was looking forward to my time with this book each day. I am very impressed with this author and think he is a talent who is deserving of much greater exposure. Since reading 'Safe House' I have also started to read through Ewan's 'Good Thief' books and they too are very good reads. Highly recommended as both an enjoyable, engaging and satisfying read.

Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing
Price: 3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful stick, 15 Jun 2013
I spent some time looking for a replacement USB stick I could rely on and as I like Kingston SD cards so much settled on this. The main feature that sold me was the ability to attach the stick to my key ring. I am a teacher and this is attached to school keys which I keep attached to my belt by a secure clip and it works very well with the keys. I am never without a USB stick to transfer information if I need to when I am at work. It is small and discrete and the connector itself is protected in the overall sleeve design.

HHhH
HHhH
Price: 4.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enjoyable as I expected, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: HHhH (Kindle Edition)
I know there are a lot of gushing reviews about this book but personally I found it a hard to read and at times boring read. I found the introspective prose a bit childish and the pace was slow. The central events of the book when they take place are well written and the pace picks up. I certainly know more about Heydrich now than before but overall I would not recommend it as a read to anyone else.

Domke F-34M 15" Protective Wrap - Red
Domke F-34M 15" Protective Wrap - Red
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made - does the job, 15 Jun 2013
Bought this to protect my Fuji MF rangefinder camera. Fits around the camera very well with secure velcro tabs. Looks very sophisticated in red. Does exactly what is says on the tin and if you have a use for one I can state it is a quality product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10