Profile for Smokey Joe > Reviews

Content by Smokey Joe

Smokey Joe "biglouis" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted a week on my camera before coming off, 6 Nov. 2012
Not impressed. Went on very easily and also came off too easily. Have not had this problem with other screen protectors on cameras or phones.

The Way Back [DVD]
The Way Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptation of the book but not great, 26 May 2012
This review is from: The Way Back [DVD] (DVD)
I think this is a fine film to watch with many fine performance, especially from Mark Strong and Colin Farrel but if you have read the book it does not exactly replicate the story. As per usual Peter Weir does a fine job with the cast and the photography is spectacular in places. I would not describe this as 'entertaining' but it is based on a classic story. I purchased this as it is part of the library of films I show to students to try and wean them off Hollywood Block Busters and make them think (my school has a license for this type of showing, btw). Otherwise, I suspect you would want to rent this rather than purchase it. Fine work.

The Bang Bang Club [DVD]
The Bang Bang Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Phillippe
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film for photographers, 26 May 2012
This review is from: The Bang Bang Club [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film largely because there are few films about photographers working under conditions of war like this one. Set in South Africa during the era before the end of the Apartheid years it tells the story of a group of hard living photographers working under extreme circumstances. It is based on a true story and one good thing about the DVD are the extras with interviews with the real characters around which it is based. From that point of view it is a bargain compared to some DVD releases. A good film, made well, great acting and thought provoking action.

The Urban Birder
The Urban Birder

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Twitchers, 26 May 2012
This review is from: The Urban Birder (Kindle Edition)
I have a small interest in birds and I am far from being a twitcher but I was intrigued by the title of this book as well as the fact the David Lindo is far from the stereotype of a bird watcher. Indeed Lindo tackles the issue of being a black bird watcher in a humourus and sensitive way in several places in the book. But what really comes across is his obvious fascination and deep knowledge of birds, especially in their urban environment. Personally, I think anyone would enjoy this book whether or not they are interested in birds as it an honest and surprising personal journey from an early age until his recent fame. I would welcome seeing a follow up edition which updates David's recent activities on TV and in print. Highly recommended.

Beneath Another Sun
Beneath Another Sun

4.0 out of 5 stars Grim but good, 26 May 2012
I am glad that Robert Radcliffe made this novel available directly even though it was apparently rejected by his publishers as being a grim read. It is not for the faint hearted but on the other hand there is very little fiction that tackles the dreadful events surrounding the lives of captured allied POWs by the Japanese forces in WWII (I can only think of 'King Rat' by James Clavell and 'Empire of the Sun' by J G Ballard). I thought the only weakness was in parts of the book set in Bletchley park where there are some factual errors but I suspect these were made to weave in the fabric of the narrative. I found myself very engrossed in the story and rather like his earlier work, especially Upon Dark Waters, I suspect I will think about it often for some time. Well worth owning a Kindle for and a good enough reason is to proverbially poke the stupid wannabees who work in publishing in the eye!

The Unquiet Heart (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 2)
The Unquiet Heart (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star entertainment, 15 Jan. 2012
Not the highest literature I have read but definitely the most entertaining read in a long time. Lots of twists and unexpected turns and satisfactory justice for the good guys and bad guys. Ferris' first Danny MacRae book was not as well formed as this one and it seems he has hit his stride - which bodes well for any future outings by his central character. So good in places that I was engrossed enough to miss my stop on the tube. Can you make any better recommendation?

Danger UXB: The Complete Series Special Edition [DVD] [1979]
Danger UXB: The Complete Series Special Edition [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Anthony Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn and blast!, 13 Sept. 2011
Damn and blast! This is the second time I have watched my way through all 13 episodes in less than 12 months and once again I have got to the end of the last programme and been left itching for more. This really is (possibly?) one of the best series of its type from the 1970s. It ticks all the boxes: excellent scripts, convincing acting, superb production. Throughout, there is a realistic invocation of London in wartime. At the heart of the series for me is the incredible transformation of the central character of Brian Ashe from university undergrad to consummate professional. It takes enormous acting skill to grow a character in this way and Anthony Andrews handles this superbly. He is helped by a supporting cast who create highly believable characters that you enjoy watching. Ian Cuthbertson who I remember far better as the east end villain Charlie 'Endle in 'Budgie' does a superb job as a robust academic and Maurice Roeves as Seargent James is the most convincing S'arnt Major I've seen yet.

But what you must appreciate about this series is the research that went into the individual programmes which is based on absolute fact, as far as the bomb disposal is concerned. In fact, I watched the series a second time because in between I read Danger UXB by James Owen. Having read more deeply a factual account I found myself realising as I watched the series again just how true to life and fact are the episodes. In particular episodes like "Cast Iron Killer" which deals with the removal of the contents of bombs through the "Steam Steriliser", "17 Seconds to Glory" which investigates the use of parachute mines and the "Butterfly Winter" which concentrates on the use of antipersonal devices.

In addition to Andrews, Cuthbertson and Roeves you will also be entranced by Judy Geeson (in possibly one of her best ever roles) and early work by Kenneth Cranam (destined for bigger and better things) and George Innes.

Although the last episode was in 1979, this entire series has not dated (imho) and in fact benefits from the lower budget and lack of effects to communicate through a magnificent total package the tension, dangers and sacrifice of bomb disposal in WWII. If only some enterprising production company would realise that with a new cast it is would still be worth continuing the series until the end of WWII.

Public Eye - The Complete 1969 Series [DVD]
Public Eye - The Complete 1969 Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfred Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinter meets Raymond Chandler, 19 Jun. 2011
Pinter meets Raymond Chandler? Well, not quite but the compelling aspect of this series was the spare approach to dialogue and the grinding reality of the plots. No special effects, no guns or car chases, just plots and dialogue straight from the 'kitchen sink' era of British drama. That's not to say this is dreary or commonplace. It is hard not to be drawn completely into each plot with its inevitable twists and turns as Marker tries to make sense of the world on his terms. It is a sad fact that no one wants or makes such simple yet highly watchable series any longer.

The main background to this series is that Frank Marker, interned for an honest mistake for 12 months of a two year sentence is released early on parole and chooses to reestablish his life in Brighton. Full marks to Alfred Burke for carefully transforming his character from released jail-bird to optimistic enquiry agent in 7 episodes. Quite a remarkable feat of acting. He is ably supported throughout, in one instance by a very young Terence Rigby (completing the allusion to Pinter) and an equally young and very pretty Deborah Grant. Well worth watching just to see these two performers in an early appearance.

I was at first disappointed to find that this series was only 7 episodes but it is worth pointing out that the third disk contains a number of treats. Firstly, interviews with both Alfred Burke and Roger Marshall (the writer and originator of the series). Also included is a complete episode from the now lost previous series. There is also a small short on how the series was restored). Finally there is a wonderful booklet with an introduction and appreciation, and a short story by Roger Marshall which reprises Marker's relationship with Mrs Mortimer. I've bought a number of classic series on DVD and I can honestly say none has come with this vital background information which is essential to understanding the importance of the drama.

All in all a very satisfying product, well thought out, beautifully presented and much more importantly fantastic entertainment. I already have my order in for the next series and will no doubt complete the whole collection over time.

Callan - Wet Job [1981] [DVD]
Callan - Wet Job [1981] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward

1.0 out of 5 stars In a word: awful, 26 April 2011
I just can't believe that this offering was actually written by James Mitchell, creator of the original series and writer of "When The Boat Comes In". The whole experience is nothing short of awful. The only benefit of watching this is to see one last time Russel Hunter ("Lonely") steal the show by being the only member of the cast who can act: the others clearly on loan from a provincial repertory company, including Edward Woodward. The most jarring aspect of the whole offering is the incidental music. I actually watched all the credits to find out who composed the score only so I could ensure that I can insult Cyril Orandel by stating that I've heard better soundtracks on silent movies. The score not only intrudes but in some places is so completely inappropriate to the scenes that weaker men than I would be compelled to press the eject button before the final, dreadful end to it all. I know you are a big Callan fan but seriously, don't spoil your memories of a great series with this utter rubbish.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2013 5:09 PM BST

The Equalizer: Series 1 [DVD]
The Equalizer: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Acquired taste but ultimately worth watching, 25 April 2011
Having exhausted all the Callan DVDs I decided to give this series a chance. I did watch it back in the 80s and remember it as good, mindless entertainment but nothing special. With the benefit of hindsight and now watching it again I think it is far better than the rather sensational idea of a philanthropic enforcer righting wrongs done to little people. First of all, the idea itself is rather original. We're used to the idea of 'superheroes' protecting the innocent but not of mere mortals, albeit one who has had a lifetime of 'special' operations experience and clearly knows one end of a weapon from the other. Then there is the fact that as a US TV series it is possible to assemble some first class American and in some cases British talent to appear as guests on the show. There is also the scriptwriting which is in places superb. I feel that Edward Woodward gives a much better performance in this series than he ever did in Callan, where I feel he was often compelled to over-act to underline his character as an agent with a chip on his shoulder. In the Equalizer he comes across as a gentile, cultured gentlemen of considerable ability and means to right wrongs. It took me some time to get through the generous 24 episodes but that just means I have savoured the enjoyment. If you like Woodward, you like the idea of Callan but with better written and better financed productions then you'll like this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16