Profile for B. Lengden > Reviews

Content by B. Lengden

B. Lengden "leonie47" (Manchester, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Poetic CoverMate case for Kindle Fire HD 7 Rock (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function) (3 Year Warranty from Poetic)
Offered by Smart Shop Online

5.0 out of 5 stars fun product, 28 Jun 2013
When I first got my Kindle (keyboard), I played safe with a brown leather case with pull-up light - good, sturdy and functional, if a tad heavy, but I soon came to see it as rather dull and boring. So when I got my Kindle Fire HD, I decided to go for something whackier, which this is - a reflection of my personality perhaps, haha. It's light and thin, and as such I was afraid it might soon start to fail at flex points, or collapse when used as a stand, but it hasn't - and the 'auto sleep/wake' function is very useful. Even with the p&p charge, it's excellent value at half the RRP. I really like the look and functionality, and would recommend it.

The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume I (Eye Classics)
The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume I (Eye Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the regular price, 2 Jun 2013
I got this as it was a good sale price (less than £2) and I wanted to try out the colour book-viewing facility provided that my recently acquired Kindle Fire HD, as distinct from the ordinary b/w Kindle I've had for quite a while. It's certainly well worth what I paid for it, but at the regular price of over £8 I wouldn't bother. I suppose it would be good for young kids, people for whom reading is a bit of a struggle, or those who haven't time to read the full stories and are happy with a vague visual representation of the gist - but to fans or potential fans of Lovecraft who are not in any of those categories, I'd say, you can get the full text free of charge and you'd be better off doing so.

Snugg Kindle Keyboard Leather Case in Blue Denim - Flip Stand Cover with Elastic Strap and Premium Nubuck Fibre Interior for Amazon Kindle Keyboard
Offered by TheSnugg

5.0 out of 5 stars classy for the money, 2 May 2013
When I got my Kindle Keyboard, I got the leather case with pull-out light. That's a nice item - albeit I got the brown one, and now wish I'd gone for a more adventurous colour - but it's quite heavy and clunky, and I've been apt to not bother with it and just shove my Kindle in my bag unprotected. This item is better for everyday use, at home and whenever I know I'm not going to require 'built-in' illumination, as it's light, as well as good-looking and protective. The grey lining and trim actually looks and feels very like genuine leather, and the stitching/finish is impeccable. Excellent value - recommended.

Konov Jewellery Leather Stainless Steel Double Dragon Mens Bracelet, Colour Silver Black
Offered by Konov Jewellery

4.0 out of 5 stars problematic design, 4 Mar 2013
Beautiful as this item is, it does have its design flaws. The dragon 'tails' - and to a lesser extent, the heads - have an irritating tendency to turn over/around on the thongs; but more importantly, the bracelet is heavy and requires a much more secure method of fastening than the existent loose metal ring slider. A good strong magnetic fastener, or magnet with 'bayonet' closure like a British light-bulb fitting, would be less flamboyantly stylish in appearance, but much more efficient - as it is, the bracelet just slackens/falls off all the time. I do love the look of the item, hence hope I can avoid having to return it, by rigging a better tightening method myself - maybe doubling/knotting a small elastic band over the thongs and sliding the metal ring over that, to conceal.
I don't know whether I shall have problems with the metal caps on the ends of the leather plaits falling off, as another reviewer stated they did, but even in the few minutes I've been able to wear the bracelet so far, I've been fussed by their catching on my clothing, so it might even be beneficial if they do come off.
It's true, as has also been said, that this piece would be unacceptable at the RRP of £120. To sum up, it looks great - but has some design flaws which make it seriously impractical in use.

Sci Fi Classics [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sci Fi Classics [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ John Call

4.0 out of 5 stars not necessarily sci-fi, 27 Feb 2013
True, some of these 'sci-fi' selections have links to science - or even 'proper' fantasy genre - so tenuous as to be imperceptible, and most are not so much 'classics', as merely old. Nevertheless, this is great value if approached with the right attitude and level of expectation. But if all you find entertaining is the fast pace and realistic FX of modern movies, or even the quality of bigger-budget productions of old, then don't bother - seemplz. Just bear in mind that a trip to the cinema these days will cost you more than this - without even the opportunity to watch the film again to check whether it was really as bad as you first thought, or to rewind to catch what you missed through chomping on your popcorn or slurping your drink. I certainly don't feel I've wasted my money, anyway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 12:47 PM GMT

Pure Terror [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Pure Terror [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 27 Feb 2013
I reckon that to seriously criticise a set which offers 50 movies for less than £13 including delivery would be churlish, so I won't. Of course the sound/video quality is patchy - what do you expect for less than 25p per movie? And obviously these old 'gems' have to be approached with a forgiving mindset. If your spiteful joy is picking holes in plot, script and acting, you'll soon make yards of lace; and if you like your special effects special, these old B-films aren't for you. Otherwise, there's plenty to entertain here - go for it!

Sci-Fi Invasion: 50 Movie Set [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sci-Fi Invasion: 50 Movie Set [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

5.0 out of 5 stars superior selection, 27 Feb 2013
50 movies for less than £13, including p&p from the States? I reckon you've got your money's worth with Slipstream and Morons From Outer Space alone - the other 48 you can say are thrown in for free. Seriously, you can't go wrong; as sets of 50 movies go - and I've bought several recently - this is remarkably free from obvious examples of the 'not even so bad it's good, just plain awful' genre. OK for this money, you're not going to get cleaned-up, digitally resurrected and enhanced craftsmanship, there's going to be some real turkeys in the flock, and Oscar-winning performances will be thin on the ground - so if you're the sort of person who watches old movies just to sneer and find fault, you'll be spoilt for choice. But I've been more than £13 entertained already, and I've only watched the first 3 of the dozen discs. Great stuff!

Veil & One Step Beyond [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Veil & One Step Beyond [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ John Newland

4.0 out of 5 stars not the full monty, 4 Feb 2013
What I ordered, and expected to receive (from All Your Music) was 20 eps of One Step Beyond; what arrived this morning was a set consisting of but 5 eps of One Step Beyond, plus 5 eps of The Veil - a similar series 'hosted' by Boris Karloff. Hence I feel somewhat short-changed, but as I paid only £4.28, including p&p from California, it's probably still well worth it if the episodes are well selected, hence the tentative 4-star rating. I'll let you know...

Beep-it Optical Theremin Synth & Sound Effects
Beep-it Optical Theremin Synth & Sound Effects

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hit present, 26 Jan 2013
I bought this as a Christmas surprise for the husband - a musician in the experimental/electronica category - and he's absolutely delighted with it. It does what it says and more, and is good and loud, with a headphone jack if you don't want to scare the neighbourhood cats and dogs. Excellent buy!

Tribal Steel Women's 38 cm Blue Violet Leather 4-Strand Bracelet with SS Shrimp Clasp, Crystal Charm + Disc

5.0 out of 5 stars 'rock-chick', yet feminine, 25 Dec 2012
The plaited leather is thinner than I expected, merely because another plaited leather bracelet I have by Tribal, is a men's item (single strand) and is consequently stouter. But this bracelet, while a similar style to men's ones that Tribal do, has delicate feminine touches which make it pleasingly unusual. So far, it seems well--made and strong. I love the lilac colour, the polished steel brand tag, and the faceted ball charm. This is the first item I've had with a 'shrimp' clasp and I wasn't sure what that was, but I find it's both secure, and easy to fasten. For some reason there was a long dispatch time when I ordered, but it was worth waiting for. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8