Profile for Lorraine Oakes > Reviews

Content by Lorraine Oakes

Lorraine Oakes (London, UK)

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel., 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
Difficult to add to what has been said already, but maybe if we all tell the truth about this drivel, the author will stop making the millions that she ill deserves. A garbage-o-rama of white linen shirts, lip-biting, eye-rolling, unfeasible (and totally un-erotic) sexual gymmastics, looking up through lashes, and jail-worthy stalking. If you ever wondered whether you are capable of writing a best-seller, trust me. If this is anything to go by, you can.

Mind you, I'm looking forward to the sequel where they have been together for twenty years and are stuck in front of the telly every night, her in her dressing gown, him in a vest and tracky bottoms, looking like someone has emptied the bin on the sofa, sick of the sight of each other, whilst the red room of pain gathers dust...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2012 4:43 PM BST

Portobello
Portobello
by Ruth Rendell

3.0 out of 5 stars My least favourite Rendell - and I am a huge fan, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Portobello (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewers who had an "is that it?" moment at the end of this book. I adore Ruth Rendell and I have read more or less everything she has written, but this was slow and rambling. I get it, it's about lives in a small area of London being inextricably intertwined, but ultimately there was no climax, there was no satisfactory ending - and I wasn't gripped while reading it. Usually I can't put her books down. Portobello is readable and the characters are well observed (although again I agree with other readers that the Chocorange addiction causing a relationship break-up was a bit far-fetched) but I kept waiting for something to happen.....and it didn't. I can't bring myself to give two stars for any Ruth Rendell book, but it's not worth any more than three, unfortunately.

Carter Beats the Devil
Carter Beats the Devil
by Glen David Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 2 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Carter Beats the Devil (Paperback)
This book is totally engrossing, right from the beginning when Carter effortlessly escapes the bumbling, overweight FBI agents who are always one step behind, to the end, where all the loose ends are tied up, and the magic of the plot had me laughing out loud in disbelief. What a great, great book. My only criticism, and it's minor but it stopped me giving five stars, is that its length, and its attention to detail, left me once or twice thinking "have I managed to keep track of what's going on??", but even if you do think that, I urge you to keep going, because it does all become clear in the end! The era is beautifully evoked, the characters are wonderfully subtle and rounded, and the plot.....well, you need to read it to believe it!!! BUY THIS BOOK!!!