Profile for A. Carr > Reviews

A. Carr (Scotland)

701 Money Saving Tips - A Huge List For Frugal Living
701 Money Saving Tips - A Huge List For Frugal Living

1.0 out of 5 stars Mmm, 14 Feb. 2015
Very US centred naming specific websites which don't translate to non US readers. Not brilliant. There are better titles out there.

Flat Earth News: An Award-winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media
by Nick Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Shocking Read, 28 Feb. 2008
I bought this book after it was reviewed in a periodical and after reading the snippets I was hooked.

I was astonished at the ways in which the news we are encouraged to treat as the gospel truth is manipulated, mass produced and generally tainted by various parties.

This is a book that everyone should read - particularly if you ever read a newspaper, listen to the radio or watch television.

The Stars' Tennis Balls
The Stars' Tennis Balls
by Stephen Fry

4.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely Up there, 5 April 2006
When I first started reading this book I had not seen the Count of Monte Cristo and to be honest I am glad. I loved this book, it's funny, tragic, scheming and above all original. The story may be based on the original but I loved the way that Ned adjusts to his new world. "which Germany" "mobile phones" etc.
Stephen this was just perfect!!

Quite Ugly One Morning
Quite Ugly One Morning
by Christopher Brookmyre

4.0 out of 5 stars A Darn good read, 5 April 2006
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
This book is quite simply a breath of fresh air.
The first chapter alone sets the scene for what will become the trademark conspiracy-ladden world that is Brookmyre's. Quite simply if you are not laughing in disbelief by the end of the first chapter you should check your pulse.
Yes some of the themes now seem a little dated but they are still very relevant and we all like reading about how the great have fallen.
Simply - wonderful

Fahrenheit 451
Fahrenheit 451
by Ray Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars When was this written???, 10 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Fahrenheit 451 (Paperback)
I can't believe that this book was written over 50 years ago.
The messages it contains are just as strong today, if not moreso, because of society's obsession with technology and the need to be connected to the media at all times.
This book needs to be read if only so we understand ourselves better.

Behind The Scenes At The Museum
Behind The Scenes At The Museum
by Kate Atkinson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew me Away, 10 Sept. 2005
To be honest this is not my kind of book, I prefer crime or thriller books but I was told "you will love this book" and I did.
I loved the various storylines which ran throughout the book and the beautiful way in which it was written. Laugh cry you will do it all.
You must read this book!!