Profile for Rockmill > Reviews

On Her Majesty's Service [DVD]
On Her Majesty's Service [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gary Barlow

1.0 out of 5 stars Hypocrite, 11 Dec. 2013
So I'm expected to buy this out of my taxed income and give money to someone who doesn't pay any tax.

And how the **** he has the nerve to use 'On Her Majesty's Service' as the title when he gives nothing to her is beyond me.

Since I Saw You Last
Since I Saw You Last
Offered by mrtopseller

1.0 out of 5 stars Help Gary, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Since I Saw You Last (Audio CD)
Only buy this rubbish if you want to help Gary pay his tax bill. Oh, how remiss of me, he doesn't pay any tax!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 6:17 AM GMT

Live in St. Louis 1980
Live in St. Louis 1980
Offered by Ginger Music - Progressive Rock

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware.......bootleg!!, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Live in St. Louis 1980 (Audio CD)
This is an easily accessible bootleg album available from download sites on the internet, dimeadozen being a good example. DON'T line the pockets of bootleggers who have no connection whatsoever with the band and are only ripping you off. Always buy the band's official albums though.

Scarecrow
Scarecrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great records stand the test of time, 13 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Scarecrow (Audio CD)
I've been buying music ever since I was a kid some 30 plus years ago and in that time I've amassed a 1000 plus collection. Some records you liked for one song at the time, bought, played a few times and then let gather dust. Others, like this, just hit you the first time you played it and you never stopped playing it. Like the previous reviewer, I bought the vinyl way back in 1985, played it to death, then bought the CD. Now it's been remastered I'll be buying it again.

This album is a classic from start to finish, with maybe a slight exception to the last track ('The Kind Of Fella I Am'), which wasn't on the original vinyl album and only added at CD stage. It's an OK song, but it seems a little out of place on this CD. The rest more than stands the test of time and it still gets played regularly now. I'd undoubtedly say it's my favourite record of all time even though John is not my favourite artist/band.

Even though he's not reached the same heights after his next album (The Lonesome Jubilee), having listened to a few bootleg live recordings from his current US/Canadian tour (late 2007/early 2008), his new album sounds very, very promising. I don't think that there's a release date yet, but I will definitely be looking out for it going by the 4 new songs in his current setlist. It's being produced by T Bone Burnett who's just produced the excellent Robert Plant/Alison Krauss 'Raising Sands' CD', so it should be good.

Finally, John, if you just happen to be reading this, how about a UK tour sometime? It's been way too long!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 9:29 AM BST