Profile for Simon A. Whittam > Reviews

Content by Simon A. Whittam

Simon A. Whittam (Cornwall UK)

The Death of Dalziel: A Dalziel and Pascoe Novel
The Death of Dalziel: A Dalziel and Pascoe Novel
by Reginald Hill

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 26 May 2007
Perhaps because I over anticipated the new book, ordering it as soon as Amazon began to list its publication date, but I was hugely disappointed.

Hill is a tremendous author, but in this book I constantly felt he was trying to be too clever, too literate, and it lost my attention.

I really had to work hard to finish the book, and was pleased that it did seem to come into its own in the final quarter of the tale, however I am used to much more gripping tales from Hill and felt this was nowhere near as good as his previous outings for the characters. Dialogues of the Dead gripped me from page to page and I finished the book in days. With this story I had to force myself to read it and it took me nearly a month to work my way through it.

Whilst I would recommend Hill to anyone keen for a good read, this would not be the book I would suggest they read first.

THE ESSENTIAL ANITA HARRIS
THE ESSENTIAL ANITA HARRIS

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoorah for Harris - A CD to cherish., 8 April 2003
I have never been able to understand why Anita Harris has not had the recognition/adulation that artistes such as Dionne Warwick, Cher, Bee Gees receive. Perhaps it is because many other performers simply revisit their past triumphs, most of the time churning out material of the same style, never stretching themselves or developing and regularly raking it in on anniversary tours. This is something that Harris has never done, and this is a loss to her audience.
In my opinion Anita is one of the most talented female vocalists in the world, listening to any of her recordings will instantly lighten my mood, she expresses powerful sentiment and quiet sentimentality into her music, performing each song for its individuality, never repeating herself and always delivering the goods. Bacharach has never sounded better.
Generally I am indifferent to 'Best of' compilations. Here at last (and why did it take so long to be released) is one compilation I will buy several copies of (in the knowledge that friends will 'borrow' it) and keep one in the car, one at home and several spare.
Cherished memories of Anita's definitive Peter Pan are not disappointed by revisiting 'Nobody', worth buying the CD simply for this track, never mind the classics 'Just Loving You' and 'Anniversary Waltz', both of which seem to get better with age.
Record Executives take note, here is a lady with more talent in her little finger than all the current artistes in the Top 40 put together. Surely it's time to persuade her to return to the studio. More elusive to the recording studio than Streisand these days it's about time we have a UK artiste to be proud of. We have Harris, let's celebrate and cherish her.

Little Sparrow
Little Sparrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolly proving her right to the title of Queen of Country, 20 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Little Sparrow (Audio CD)
We always expect a recording of quality from Dolly, and once again we are rewarded. This time though she has stripped away the studio tricks and techniques, and focused instead on the purity of her voice and the quality of musicians performing with her.
Dolly's is not a perfect voice, but you believe every word she sings, her phrasing and the emotion present in all the performances send shivers down the spine.
The title track Little Sparrow, brings a tear to the eye of the hardest listener, I Get A Kick Out Of You, is given a splendid re-working and, my favourite, A Tender Lie, is the sort of song you can listen to over and over again and hear something new and more beautiful each time.
Dolly has made no secret of the fact that as an established Country artiste she finds it hard to get airplay in the US. She has addressed this bravely, concentrating on songs she wants to record and recording them how she wishes.
Mountain Angel is a 6+ minute long recording, it will probably never be played on the radio, but I have had it on replay for the last week. Dolly proves the pedigree of her writing re-recording two of her standards here, Down From Dover and The Seeker. It is a demonstration of her ability as singer and songwriter that both recordings sound as vibrant and as fresh as when she first recorded them back in the sixties.
This is certainly my album of the year, I am going to buy a second copy as I want to keep a copy in the car at all times. However the most telling for me has been watching how Madonna mad friends of mine keep switching off the Immaculate one and asking if we can just listen to Dolly again.......