Profile for dynamitekid156 > Reviews

Magicians [DVD]
Magicians [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Mitchell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars At time of writing costs £2 and it isn't even worth that., 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Magicians [DVD] (DVD)
I've not written an Amazon review for months, but I watched this on Netflix last night and it is unbelievably bad.

It's not even that it's offensively bad. It's a 90-minute bucket of magnolia paint that barely registers. But when you consider the talent involved that is preposterous.

Let's take a brief look at just how many insanely talented comic actors are in this film. Obviously Mitchell and Webb are the stars, but we also have Peter Capaldi, Jessica Hynes, Darren Boyd, Steve Edge, Miranda Hart and basically every single other British comedy actor that ever appeared in Peep Show, The Thick Of It or any other British comedy around 2007.

Then consider that I didn't laugh for pretty much the first forty-five minutes, and maybe only three or four times after that. Capaldi gets a couple of laughs as the shady magic promoter, Boyd is amusing as a closeted agent. Reading the Wiki on this film after watching it I found out that it's actually written by the same people as Peep Show, and is the same rating (15), and yet is absolutely lacking in the brilliantly dark, awkward humour of that programme.

The staging and direction is bland, the whole thing looks cheap, everyone is working far too hard for the laughs which just don't come.

This is awful, but not even awful enough that you remember it. I'm amazed I remembered it 12 hours later to write this review.

Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Caution: here be spoilers, 10 Feb 2014
With GTA games, to some extent, you've played one, you've played them all. That's no exception with GTA V, and I suspect you, like me, will probably like this one to some degree just because it's a new GTA. It's certainly funnier than GTA IV, but not as good as GTA IV - and I have a lot of problems with it.

Read the other reviews if you want something slightly more in depth. I've managed to break down my thoughts on the game into a list of pros and cons, and there are spoilers in here, so be careful.

Pros:
- Physics were good.
- Police system is better this time, it's actually WAY more realistic - if you hide in an alleyway or an underpass and in real life, the cops would be unable to see you there without searching properly, that would work. But... well, go to cons.
- Range of guns was good, and they were mostly fun to use. As with GTA IV, the second I had a rocket launcher I would nuke anything within spitting distance.
- Doesn't force you to do mundane stuff this time. Much. See cons.
- Jonah Hill, who somehow brings likability to an awful character.
- I actually liked Michael. Somehow.
- I unlocked Packie to use on heists. Loved that.

Cons:
- Re: police system. It was easy to cheat it. On the mission where you steal a drill, I broke into the truck to alert the cops, then went and hid behind a dumpster. The cops then forgot about me and I literally stole the same vehicle I had stolen once already, in front of them, before they even got in their cars to drive away.
- The game plays off mundanity and gameplay stretching as immersion. Ooh, properties for sale! Ooh YOGA? Ooh stock market! They were completely unnecessary to finish the game anyway (aside from the yoga which was a story mission for pete's sake) which meant they were even less necessary for the game.
- Why do Trevor and Michael's missions show up on the map when I am playing as Franklin? Before I figured out the colour coding that drove me crazy. Once I knew the colours less so... until I realised that all the purchasable properties showed up on my map regardless of who could buy them. Just why are properties not for sale to certain people?
- Franklin is a blank slate. He has no character.
- Michael hates his life, but he has created it. His family are all squealing wretches because he is a terrible father and thinks money is a substitute for love. Well done Michael. Am I meant to sympathise?
- Trevor is HORRIBLE. Is he meant to be satirical? It doesn't work. Which brings me to...
- ...The torture mission, which really made me quit the game entirely. It apparently is meant to be a satire as well, but I refuse to participate in a quicktime event that consists of pulling an innocent man's teeth out with pliers. I eventually just shot random people and kept failing the mission until I shot the right one rather than continue the torture. I nearly threw the disc out the window after this mission.
- Some of the missions are long. Too long. One of the missions is 20 minutes of driving and cutscene. I got a gold rating for it though! Okay then?
- Anyone who wrote a plane or helicopter mission into this game (especially since I got a plane tutorial after doing a mission in which I HAVE TO FLY A PLANE) deserves a slap.
- MAJOR SPOILER HERE: The game so, so, so, so clearly telegraphs that it wants you to choose the 'good' ending. But I didn't. Because Trevor is awful. So I chose to kill Trevor. Are ya sure? the game asks me. Of course I'm sure, he is a mad dog that needs putting down. So I chased him. Then I shot him. And he was dead. Wow. Letdown. I played Michael's ending next. Michael finds out his kid got into college. YOUR HEART STRINGS ARE BEING TUGGED. Slightly better mission, better but shorter chase, quite a cool setting for a shootout, and then it gives you a choice whether to let Michael live or die... and then he dies anyway? And then I played the 'good' ending, which had so much more effort put into it that it's insulting to me that they gave me a choice. Either run with your characters or don't, don't pretend like you're giving me a chance to decide how the story finishes and then completely screw me for choosing the wrong one.
- After a few missions I was so wealthy that I didn't need to ever do anything again. Franklin is a ghetto kid, and he earned enough money within around 30 hours of gameplay that he never needed to work for the rest of his life.
- There are like, four heists in the entire game. That's an exaggeration, but they give you the option of levelling up different guys, like that makes a difference when you never use them.
- The RPG elements. I don't want to take my character running to grind his stamina statistic. This is not Final Fantasy, this is GTA.
- Chop (the dog). Thank goodness the game didn't make me use him much. Except for one random occasion where I finished Michael's missions, changed to Franklin, found Chop was with me anyway, had forgotten how to use him, and so I just got in a car and drove away. I was given no penalty, and Chop reappeared at my house. I am glad I was given no penalty, but that's quite bad design.
- Trevor's missions are dreary, and the game spends a long stretch forcing you to only play as Trevor.
- The three protagonists add nothing whatsoever, it's okay to switch characters mid mission but it's not exactly an innovative moment.
- Virtually zero compelling characters in either the foreground or the background, but at least it wasn't trying to make me feel warmth and companionship for Little Jacob this time. I miss Roman.

LuvTab® Kobo Arc 7 HD (7 inch tablet) Multifunctional Multi Angle Wallet / Cover / Stand / Flip Case, with 2 in 1 Stylus Pen (BLACK)
Offered by Laptop Kit UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumb product, 5 Feb 2014
This product is of good quality material and sturdy, but somewhat stupidly it renders the tablet virtually useless when it's on, as the power button is almost entirely obscured (I had to use the stylus to get to it), the light is obscured, the volume control is inaccessible, and there's no slot for the charger cable to go into. The tablet is basically unusable when the case is on unless you're just using it watch YouTube or Netflix or something.

Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition
Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts other deluxe reissues to shame, 11 Nov 2013
Okay, so any deluxe reissue has to be split into two parts - the original album and the bonus materials. Wowee Zowee was Pavement's third record, coming just a year after their hilariously brief brush with success in 1994.

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was far from streamlined, but it was a lot cleaner than both Slanted And Enchanted, and Wowee Zowee. It's so meandering, lengthy and haphazard that it prompted Rolling Stone to accuse Pavement of being afraid of their own success, but this record remains a fan favourite because - let's face it - this is what Pavement are all about.

The song quality is surprisingly high across nearly an hour, there are none of the non-songs they scattered through their early career and the album's skyscraping peaks are among the highest Pavement would ever reach.

The album is all over the place in the most beautiful fashion, from the countrified, acoustic opener 'We Dance' to the muffled melancholy of 'Kennel District,' the lurching insanity of 'Best Friend's Arm' to the anthemic riffage of 'Rattled By The Rush.'

As with all of the Pavement reissues to date, the extra material here is preposterously generous, adding over 100 minutes of music to the tally. Parts of it, like some of the demos and occasional live tracks, are virtually unlistenable (I love these guys but their live act was variable in the extreme) but b-sides from the albums singles and the Pacific Trim EP only paint a broader picture of where Pavement's minds were at the time - namely, all over the shop.

Pavement's five albums aren't faultless, but they're all brilliant, and it's impossible to recommend Wowee Zowee any more or less than any of its siblings bar Terror Twilight, the latter still their weakest record. Whatever you do, don't start with this one - this is without doubt their White Album - but if you're a fan of even one Pavement song, or even Malkmus' solo work, make sure you get it. And soon.

Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair
Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly their best song., 11 Nov 2013
I've not paid much attention to the Arctic Monkeys in recent years ever since finding Favourite Worst Nightmare to be a bit of a letdown, but they recaptured my attention with this song, possibly the greatest thing they've ever done. Teasing with a twanging guitar intro, it drops into the heaviest riff the Monkeys have yet put to tape, while distant falsetto vocals float across the top of it. There's an atmosphere of real danger that the Monkeys rarely tap into, and if they ever record anything quite like this (or quite this good) again I'll be surprised.

August TAC30BE 3m Aerial Cable - Coaxial Extension Lead (10 foot) with Moulded Male IEC Type Connectors - For Freeview [Black]

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 11 Nov 2013
It's a cable. There's not really much to it. It's not going to change your life, but it's good quality, quite long and very secure.

WWE: For All Mankind - The Life And Career Of Mick Foley [DVD]
WWE: For All Mankind - The Life And Career Of Mick Foley [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mick Foley

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a few hits, but a lot of glaring misses, 11 Nov 2013
I usually try to keep my personal bias out of a review as much as I can, but Mick Foley is both my favourite wrestler and my favourite author, so I was inevitably going to pick up this DVD.
Disc one is a documentary of Foley's life - and having read all of Foley's books, I was quite impressed that the documentary still managed to tell me a few things I didn't know. Vince McMahon is conspicuous in his absence as a talking head, but WWE actually bothered to dig up Shane Douglas (and Douglas, a strongly anti-WWE guy, allowed himself to be interviewed) showing that Foley is clearly a nice enough guy to even ease bitter real-life hatred.
The documentary is insightful, moving, funny and up-to-the-minute, concluding in 2013 with Foley's current success as a stand-up comic.
Discs two and three are dedicated to matches, and this is where the previous Mick Foley's Greatest Hits And Misses DVD is vastly superior.
Match choice wise, these are flat out bizarre. Despite being referenced as his greatest matches, his 1996 Mind Games match against Shawn Michaels and his 2004 street fight against Randy Orton aren't included; nor is his street fight with Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000. All of these were included on Hits and Misses, so avoiding overlap is understandable. The '98 Hell in a Cell match is (justifiably) repeated here, but weirdly so is Foley's WWF debut in 1986 against the British Bulldogs, a brief and ultimately uninspiring squash match.
A clutch of great ECW matches appear on disc one, but the set stops dead on disc two after the retirement Cell match against Triple H.
Foley has had dozens of amazing matches and you can't include everything, but why still include nothing matches with Brickhouse Brown, Scott Steiner, Billy Travis, Keith Hart and two with a still very green Rocky Maivia?
What's more, Easter eggs aside, there are zero extras here. Documentary and matches, that's all you get (excluding an absolutely hilarious heel promo before the Shane Douglas match), with brilliant alternate commentary with Mick and Joey Styles on three.
Hits And Misses has a wider match choice (particularly on the deluxe edition) as well as a bunch of Foley's extraordinary promos from WCW, ECW and WWF. Unfortunately that set lacks the excellent documentary, so ultimately you'll need to buy both sets to really get all the Foley you need.

WWE - New World Order - The Revolution [DVD]
WWE - New World Order - The Revolution [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hulk Hogan

2.0 out of 5 stars WWE know better than this., 15 Sep 2013
WCW is the only company to ever truly rival the WWF/E, and the treatment of its intellectual properties since its closer in 2001 has varied wildly.

A good decade ago, the Monday Night War DVD left a lot to be desired but at least told both sides of the story with the benefit of insight from the majority of the key players.

Fans of TNA will know now that Eric Bischoff, the President of WCW at its peak and creator of the nWo, and Hulk Hogan, the man who turned heel in 1996 and changed the business forever, have been in TNA for the best part of three years now. So it's the perfect time to do a DVD about their career peaks, right? ...Right?

The nWo angle deserves better than this DVD. The documentary is about an hour long (which is preposterous given that ECW got three hours in itself) and features precious little new material. Instead we have recycled interviews from 2003 from Bischoff, Hogan, Scott Hall and even Kevin Nash. The weird part is that mixed in are new interviews with Nash recorded especially.

Virtually none of the key players have new interviews, with the exception of Big Show, and the division of time in the very short documentary is preposterous, virtually ignoring the nWo 2000 angle, presumably because Jeff Jarrett was its focal point.

WWE is generally pretty good at these box sets, so you can usually bank on a great stack of matches even if the documentary leaves a little to be desired - not so here, the reason being that the nWo guys for the most part either could barely wrestle by this point or knew they could get away with not bothering to wrestle (looking at you, Hall).

The match listing is as such, slim pickings - the only real highlight being Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash from Starrcade 1998 which while far from a wrestling classic, has great historical value as WCW's tipping point and a monstrously hot crowd that pops enormously for everything either man does, elevating an otherwise mediocre match by Goldberg's not particularly high standards and Nash's rock bottom standards.

The Monday Night War DVD has more to say about the nWo than this DVD was, and the matches aren't worth cop. Honestly, if you can find a place to rent it, I advise you to do so because it's certainly not worth a buy. I sold it mere days after I'd watched it.

Death Is Birth
Death Is Birth

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear., 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Death Is Birth (MP3 Download)
When Frank Carter quit Gallows, they lost their fiery lyrics, their violent charisma, and the hope of a lot of their fans. Replacing him with Wade MacNeil of Alexisonfire fame did little to dissuade the doubters.

Then the demo of 'True Colours' emerged online, a truly brilliant 38-second blast of aggression that showed MacNeil had it in him to front Gallows after all.

And then... Death Is Birth emerged.

The re-recorded 'True Colours' is not a patch on the original demo version, a higher end production but completely shorn of the feral roar it used to have.

That's the least of this appalling EP's problems, as 'Mondo Chaos' may the single worst song the band has ever recorded - and that includes 'Staring At The Rude Bois.'

Whether MacNeil can pull it out for an album remains to be seen, but honestly I'm more concerned about the live shows. If MacNeil can't even keep up with Gallows' searing British anger, how can he hope to reproduce Carter's unique lyrics - sample themes: shipwrecks and daterape - in a gig situation?

The future remains to be seen, but based on this, it's pretty bleak.

Wish You Were Here [Experience Edition]
Wish You Were Here [Experience Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars The pinnacle creatively, now even better, 26 Jan 2012
Wish You Were Here is simply Pink Floyd's greatest album. The dark, angry Kid A to Dark Side's OK Computer, its five tracks are all among the band's greatest work.

The remastering job on these albums is... barely noticeable to anyone except an audiophile, to the surprise of precisely no-one.

However, the money here is from hearing the extra material, which Pink Floyd have in the past been insanely shy about releasing. There must be so many great songs in the EMI vaults that would make for fascinating listening - not least the tail end of Syd Barrett's tenure, much of which is only available on bootlegs.

So what do we get on this bonus disc? One of the more interesting curious is a little ambient piece left over from the failed Household Objects album that later ended up mixed into the intro of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. Interesting for about one listen, that is, as you can see why it was thrown out.

An alternative version of 'Have A Cigar' is... well, pointless, not as good as the original and frankly forgettable. Drummer Nick Mason noted in his autobiography that the violin playing they overdubbed onto the title track was lovely, but just didn't work for some reason, and listening to it it's hard not to agree.

The real attraction here is in the three 1974 live tracks, 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' and then two embryonic versions of songs from their next album, Animals, that wouldn't see the light of day until 1977.

'Gotta Be Crazy,' later to be known as 'Dogs,' is a competently played but clearly unfinished track. The verse melody is notably different, and the closing breakdown is lacking a chord change that would strongly benefit the final version; Gilmour struggles to keep up the pace with the vocal and it ends up sounding rushed. 'Raving And Drooling' is almost identical to 'Sheep,' with some lyrical changes, and is a pleasing listen.

The highlight of this entire set, though, is 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond.' While still not completed, this version strongly resembles those later played live by both Roger Waters solo and the Waters-less Floyd. But shorn of backing musicians and having to pick up the whole of the slack themselves, the band put in a career-best performance, reaching a peak in its closing overs with a jazz-funk instrumental workout.

For just 'Shine On' live, Wish You Were Here is worth buying a second time even if you can't hear the remastering on the first disc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20