Profile for R. Jugnarain > Reviews

Content by R. Jugnarain

R. Jugnarain "Miss J" (Manchester, UK)

Flowers For Algernon (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Flowers For Algernon (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Daniel Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful and thought provoking, 14 Oct. 2011
This was sent as a present by a friend, who is eager for everyone she knows to read this book, to the point of being evangelical about it. I read it in 24 hours; it's one of the most poignant and intelligent books I've ever read. Narrated in diary form by Charlie, who has an IQ of less than 70 until an operation, it highlights beautifully Charlie's kind nature in comparison to the people around him, and also the contrast between his rapidly developing intelligence and stunted emotional development. I defy anyone not to be moved by the ending.

The End of Alice
The End of Alice
by A. M. Homes

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most memorable books you will ever read, 17 April 2007
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
The story- concerning the correspondence between a murderer/paedophile in prison who is on the verge of being released, and a 19-year-old girl intent on seducing a 14-year-old boy in her neighbourhood- is, from the outset, deeply unsettling and compellingly written. A.M. Homes never shies away from taking us to the darkest places of the human psyche, and from revealing some uncomfortable truths about ourselves. Of course it is very graphic and disturbing (a flashback in the Roman baths springs to mind), and I know people who couldn't finish this book. Personally, I think this is wonderfully written and is one of my favourite books of all time; I read this about 8 years ago and I have read another 3 books by A.M. Homes, all of which I have been disappointed with, as nothing holds a candle to this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 3:12 PM BST

The Birth Of Venus
The Birth Of Venus
by Sarah Dunant

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful novel, 20 Sept. 2006
This review is from: The Birth Of Venus (Paperback)
This is one of the most sensual books I have ever read, and not just because of the romantic plot which comprises the book's core. Even when witnessing the turbulent and frequently horrific events in Renaissance Florence through the eyes of 15-year-old Alessandra, Sarah Dunant's prose is always seductive and captivating. I was breathless with anticipation every time I turned a page. The best book I've read in years.