Profile for T. Schwarz > Reviews

Content by T. Schwarz

T. Schwarz "The Chairman" (Bristol, UK)

GEFU Laser Cut Nutmeg Mill
GEFU Laser Cut Nutmeg Mill
Offered by K Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've ever had, 27 Jan. 2014
I have had a variety of things for grating nutmed over the years. Starting with normal graters which had me risking fingertips. Progressing to ones which had holders that kept fingers safe but still produced very little actual grated nutmeg. This easily and safely produces plenty of grated - although shaved might describe the result more accurately - nutmeg. I guess it depends on how often you use nutmeg, but this is definitely the right tool for the job.

Croydex Solid Wood Toilet Seat, Antique Pine
Croydex Solid Wood Toilet Seat, Antique Pine
Offered by Severn DIY

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 27 Jan. 2014
I bought two of these seats to replace some cheap and cheerful ones from Ikea which had lasted ten years. When the seats arrived they looked nice and sturdy. Unfortunately the fittings (hinges) broke on both of them within about a month. Once the bit which holds the lid broke, once the bit that holds the seat. When the first one broke I had a replacement sent, but frankly I can't be bothered with all the rigmarole for another one which will - presumably - have the same weakness again. I have bought some separate fittings and hope these will last longer than the ones originally on this seat. If not I guess I'll have to go to Ikea again ...

Radio Controlled LCD Digital Travel Alarm Clock For U.K
Radio Controlled LCD Digital Travel Alarm Clock For U.K

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries ..., 30 May 2013
Have to say I am quite disappointed.
The multicoloured display is a bit funky, but then I knew about that from the description.
The housing and buttons seem fairly flimsy, but then that is to be expected with a clock at this price point.
But when I grabbed it today, for it's first actual trip, less than five months after getting it and found the batteries were dead ... that is when I was sorely displeased.
The whole point of a travel clock is that it can sit around for extended periods doing nothing, but be ready to go when you travel. There are more important things to worry about when you pack your bags than the state of the batteries in your travel clock.
I have and have had various travel clocks that last five or six YEARS easily without a change of battery ... not MONTHS.
It may have been sent with batteries that were on their last legs ... but frankly I'm not willing to try - and then find myself with the same dilemma the next time I travel.

Purple
Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the ending ..., 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Purple (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the characters and the setting.

I could also live with some of the stuff some of the characters spouted ...

But the ending got WAY too esoteric for my liking. But while some people might like that, it felt like it was very rushed and didn't make much sense ... even if you bought into the esoteric hokum.

And if the author feels the need to include some 'sciencey bits' ... at least try to get them right.

I'm still giving it 4 stars, because the first 90% were a really enjoyable read (which I also passed on to my 10 year old daughter) ... it's just a shame about the ending.

Spearmark LED Lamp, Blue
Spearmark LED Lamp, Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars NO plug!, 26 Oct. 2012
One main point for me when purchasing these was that I would be able to run them off mains, because I wanted to hook them up to timers. When I bought them, the 'product features' for these stated "Battery powered for a portable light source OR MAINS POWERED for more economical lighting.". The 'product specifications' listed "Plug Format G - 3 pin British". So with that information I was satisfied I would be able to use them as intended.

Imagine my surprise when they arrived ... and there was no plug. They do have a 'helpful' label attached about where to purchase the required DC adaptor ... great.

Since I didn't have time to send them back and find replacements and they DO have the socket to plug the DC adaptor into, I scoured the house for other devices with adaptors. Eventually I managed to scavenge enough adaptors to get these lights to work.

I find the description for these highly misleading. Hopefully this review will prevent others from finding out the hard way ...

As for the lights themselves: About as flimsy as the price suggests. They should do for my purposes, but the switches certainly don't feel like they will stand up to very much use at all ...

stranger and stranger
stranger and stranger

2.0 out of 5 stars Utter dross, 2 Aug. 2012
I don't usually write reviews for books, but if I can help one person avoid wasting time on this dross, I feel it is my duty to do so.

The only positive was, that the book was a free download. So at least I just wasted time, not money as well.

In no way did I feel that this book gave me an insight into the plight of someone with a debilitating disease. It gave me an insight into a self-centered twit, who just also happens to have a debilitating disease. This book certainly didn't make me feel any compassion with him, but rather kindled a growing sense of irritation the longer it went on.

If you have to read any of this book, limit yourself to the afterword. This is by far the best part of the book and the only part that really fulfilled what the 5-star reviews promise ...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 11:25 AM GMT

My-Link USB Barcode Scanner Reader- Reading width 8cm, for PC, Laptop (works with Windows XP, Vista, 7, & Mac & Lunix)
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and cheap, 22 April 2010
Does what it says on the tin and is dead cheap. I was looking for something to make cataloguing my DVD collection easier. Plugged this in and haven't looked back.

Nike WC0037001 Gents Black and Silver Polyurethane Digital Watch
Nike WC0037001 Gents Black and Silver Polyurethane Digital Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good watch ... apart from a few niggles, 22 April 2010
The watch has a nice clear display and does everything I wnated it to. The niggles are a spot of condensation that appeared once (hasn't reappeared or the watch would go back) and that the parts of the strap that run over the watch body have become unstuck. Nothing major ... but enough to take away a star.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Full Version  (PC DVD), 1 User
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice ... BUT, 19 Feb. 2010
On the whole the install was a breeze and the system runs smoothly.

BUT

I usually prefer to install an OS onto a clean HDD. And where previous incarnations of Windows gave the option to format before installing, W7 didn't. So you're left with your previous installation eating up space on your HDD.

Several things I expected to run (seeing as I installed the 32 bit option) aren't working properly.
For example Facebook is not working properly even though my settings for Firefox are exactly the same as before (but I can't say with absolute certainty that W7 is to blame ...).

The PC develops problems with the connection to the internet via the attached router at random intervals. The automatic troubleshooter has always sorted the problems out so far ... but I never had the problems before switching ...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 4:55 PM GMT

DS Lite Triple Function Pack (Pink)
DS Lite Triple Function Pack (Pink)

2.0 out of 5 stars Contact is dodgy, 24 Mar. 2009
I got this so my daughter would be able to play her DS on an upcoming longhaul flight without worrying about running out of juice. Fortunately we tried it before the trip. Installing the pack was easy enough, but in use the contact with the DS proved less than reliable. Even just squeezing the pack during gameplay (which is easily done) could suddenly cut the power.
Two further problems were that there is no access to the stylus with the pack in place and that I couldn't find any case that would hold the extra bulk.
All in all I wouldn't recommend this product.