Profile for Marek > Reviews

Marek

Lifeventure Dakar 25 Litre Daysack
Lifeventure Dakar 25 Litre Daysack
Offered by BlackLeaf

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this continuously for 1.5 years - it's awesome, 17 Feb 2014
I have used this bag and the Dakar 45 Litre version for long-term travel. They haven't let me down: the quality is superb.

The bag also has a ton of nifty features and compartments. The O-ring zippers let me lock compartments with a padlock. There's a secret pouch for my passport and valuables. The elastic fabric on the back is perfect for quickly putting something into, like a book I'm reading while in transit or a towel that needs to dry. I pretty much love everything about these bags.

One thing to note though: the 25L daysack laptop compartment will not fit a 15" laptop. It's close, but not quite.

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars Oscillates between fascinating and tiresome, 17 Feb 2014
I had heard Chris Hadfield in a number of interviews, in which he speaks very engagingly about space exploration and life on the ISS. But the book does not always match the high quality of his public appearances.

The book basically has two modes. It's at its best when talking about Chris Hadfields' personal experiences of going to space, the sheer awe produced by seeing Earth from space, the quirky aspects of the Russian space program, or the unexpected details of daily life in zero gravity.

It's at its worst Chris tries to draw conclusions and life advice from his experiences, as it really turns into a tiresome and contrived boyscout manual here. I got tired of reading about Always Being Prepared, and Giving It Your Best, and Always Looking Out For Your Teammates.

I still enjoyed the book overall, but often wished it was more of a straight telling of Chris' experiences as an astronaut. The book's concept feels somewhat forced.