Profile for L. Hogan > Reviews

Content by L. Hogan

L. Hogan (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
by Debbie Stoller

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to get stitching, 12 Oct 2010
I got this after I used Strollers Happy Hooker book to teach myself to crochet. This book is just as effective at bringing a total beginner from being all fingers and thumbs to fairly confident. The answers to most problems you will encounter as a novice knitter are here and it really teaches you everything you need to know to get yourself started. It brings you thorough every thing from casting on to increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round and colour work. There is also a useful section on web resources for knitters and crafters in general. Im halfway through knitting my first top and am quite looking forward to being able to say "I made it myself!".

Alvin And The Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel
Alvin And The Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel

4.0 out of 5 stars love-hate relationship, 5 April 2010
I get lots of enjoyment watching my three year old bounce around the place to these songs but I must admit Im getting a bit sick of the Chipmunks. The current favurites in our house are Hot and Cold and All the Single Ladies, which we listen to over and over and over again. Its a great album for kids. You will recognise all the songs and may squirm at what has been done to them but I found it quite enjoyable the first time I listened to it. The thrill wears off after the fifth or sixth time though. The three year old loves it.

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
by Debbie Stoller

4.0 out of 5 stars Im hooked, 26 Mar 2010
This book is all you need to learn to crochet. The style in informal, conversational and engaging. The projects are useful and help you build a good solid set of skills.Ive made hats, baby blankets, bags and a vest. I started crocheting before Christmas and have no problems with advanced patterns after using this book and if I comeacross something I dont understand in a pattern I usually find the answer somwhere in the Happy Hooker. All the diagrams show you how to crochet right handed. If (like me) you are a leftie you either learn to crochet right handed (couldnt do it) or use a mirror to flip the pictures. The book is written using american crochet terms but there is a translator to UK terms included.
A word or warning though...this crochet thing is a bit addictive. Be very careful!

Samsonite Pop-Up Bubble (Colour - Café Creme)
Samsonite Pop-Up Bubble (Colour - Café Creme)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product that travels well, 19 July 2009
Our daughter has been using this travel cot since she was just a few months old. She is now 2 and still loves going to sleep in "her camp". We have used it on several trips abroad and usually pack it into a large duffel bag along with the rest of our gear to minimise the number of bags we have to check in. At only 3kgs its got to be one of the lightest of the travel cots out there. As well as using it overseas, we have also found it great when we are camping. It gives our daughter her own little space within the rest of the tent and we regularly find her in there just having a little chill out!
This travel cot is a great piece of kit. You get much longer out of it than with Samsonite's other, smaller cot. Its light and easy to pack. There isnt much to the base of it though so you do need to put a folded blanket or camp mattress under it. A washable cover for the base would also be handy. Finally, as its at ground level you do need to make sure to put baby away from any draughts. Dont bother with those cumbersome, heavy contraptions. This is all you need!

The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
by Sanjay Patel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for children and adults, 5 July 2009
I bought this book on a recent trip to Bali. I was visiting lots of temples and needed something to help me keep all those Hindu gods straight in my head. As a non-Hindu I found it to be an affectionate and respectful introduction to a religion I really knew very little about before visiting a Hindu country. The illustrations are cute and humourous and the accounts of the god's activities just a little tongue in cheek. My two year old daughter loves it and claims it as her elephant book. I would agree with the previous reviewer that the binding is weak and that glossy pages would really make the images pop - hence four stars instead of 5! Its a great book to get someone who is travelling to India or another Hindu country for the first time.

Salvation In Death: 27 (in Death Series)
Salvation In Death: 27 (in Death Series)
by J. D. Robb

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great!, 6 May 2009
I've read pretty much all of the in death series and I found this one quite lack lusture. It almost reads as though it was written by someone else - perhaps Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb as got a ghost writer in! I cant even put my finger on what exactly was off in the writing, it just felt like a totally different author, certain phrases or things the characters said just didnt ring true with what you would expect them to do or say. I also felt that the secondary characters were all mising from this one! Its all Eve and Roarke wih a little Peabody thrown in - maybe thats what some of the fans were askng for but I missed Mavis, Leonardo, Louise, Charles and the rest. Dr Mira hardly gets a peep either. Maybe if I hadn't read all the other books I would have enjoyed this more. It is a good solid murder story and could make an easy introduction to the series if you didn't want to go all the way back to the beginning!

Kiss Good Night Sam
Kiss Good Night Sam
by Amy Hest
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Current favourite in our ouse, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Kiss Good Night Sam (Board book)
We got this book from the library and had to renew it three times! My 20 mnth old loves this. We read it twice every night! I think we are going to have to buy a copy. The text is natural sounding with lots of repetition and opportunities for sound effects. The illustrations are richly coloured wit plenty of detail. This is a lovely book for the very young but I think it would be a very nice one to read together as a cild gets older.

Diamond Dove
Diamond Dove
by Adrian Hyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Stark, sparse and beautiful, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Diamond Dove (Paperback)
In one sense this is a fairly simple "whodunnit" with false leads, twists and turns and a very engaging lead character. The murder of an aboriginal elder is not as straight forward as it seems, the main suspect is more than he seems. Add in a misfit, sparky heroine, some aboriginal mysticism and a few rednecks and you get something beyond the ordinary. THe book's setting lifts it out of the ordinary, or rather, Hyland's description of the Australian outback raises it above the bar. The outback is one of the main characters in this book and influences each and every character in some way or another. The book is full or a wry, dry humour and the main character, Emily Tempest is one of the most vividly realised heroines Ive ever come across. Its a very visual book with beautifully described settings and characters. It amazes me that Hyland can paint such clear pictures with fairly sparse language. Its not an over wordy book. Every word serves a purpose.
This is a great read and a book I will read again and would recommend to others.

How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
by Jane Yolen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 1 Nov 2008
Beautifully detailed illustrations and a rolling cadence to the text make this one of our favourite bedtime books. Our 18mnth old loves this book. She points out the teddys, cars, mummy and daddy on each page and gives the dinosaur a kiss on te appropriate page. For me it was the 50's style illustrations. They are so perfectly pitched to both child and parent. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Its fun to look at and to read and will be around our house for years to come.

Paradise Lost: Smyrna 1922 - The Destruction of Islam's City of Tolerance
Paradise Lost: Smyrna 1922 - The Destruction of Islam's City of Tolerance
by Giles Milton

5.0 out of 5 stars Histroy comes alive, 1 Nov 2008
Milton is the author of several engaging histories covering periods as diverse as the Crusades to the Age of Exploration. Ive read most of his other books and found them to be lively and engaging. Milton's style brings his diverse characters to life and his extensive use of personal accounts ensures his stories have the human element that is so often missing from history books. Paradise Lost is no different. Milton has interviewed people who were atcually present at the events he writes about. This gives his narrative a very personal feel.
Even though we know what will happen in the end, Milton manages to build suspense and kept me turning the pages. It is a tragic and heroic story about a part of the world that, I confess, I know only a little. I couldnt help but draw parallels between what happend in Smyrna in 1922 and the more recent human tradgedies in Rwanda, Bosnia and so on. It seems the international community still has a lesson to learn. That said, its not all tradegy, there are some great stories of herosim in there too.
This is not just a book for history buffs. Its for anyone who enjoys a human story, well told. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the period and the area. Its definetly going on my Christmas list for my dad and brother in law!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6