Profile for Steelami > Reviews

Content by Steelami

Steelami

POWRX Nordic Walking Poles, 1 Pair, telescopic adjustable 67cm - 137 cm, anti shock system. For all walking activities, trekking , incl wrist handles and 8 exchangeable pads for different terrains
Offered by Powrx UK
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware...These are not nordic walking poles!, 24 Aug 2013
I'm writing this review to point out that regardless of their quality, these poles cannot accurately be described as nordic walking poles.

What you can't see from the images provided, is that the "wrist handles" are just that, rather than a hand-specific glove which allows the strap to sit securely fastened to the hand. This is a absolute requirement of a proper nordic walking pole, as use of the strap is integral to the action of nordic walking - you push down against the strap in order to faciliate propulsion forward and the use of the upper body. The handles provided with these poles do little more than provide a means of dangling the pole on your wrist.

I had close sight of these poles this morning, when one of my students brought them into our class. Not only was she not able to move into what we call "3rd Gear" for a proper workout with her fellow students, one of the poles telescoped/collapsed on her when she was walking at normal walking speed. It was only then that we noticed that one of the baskets at the end of the pole had worked its way loose and had been lost in the undergrowth. We spent the remainder of the session retracing our steps to recover bits of the pole (she'd also lost both rubber pads).

For the record, I'm a qualified Nordic Walking instructor and I'm very much aware that those new to the activity are often keen to save money, but please, get some advice before buying poles- you'll save money in the long run. You don't have to spend huge amounts - all the major manufactuers of proper nordic walking poles have budget models in their range. If you don't actually know an instructor in your community, contact Nordic Walking UK or British Nordic Walking - they'll be only too pleased to give you some solid advice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 11:38 AM BST

Animal Women's Nieves Winter Technical Jacket - Black, Size 14
Animal Women's Nieves Winter Technical Jacket - Black, Size 14
Offered by PERFECT DAYZE
Price: 120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised..., 14 Feb 2013
I'd been looking for a stylish jacket which was suitable for Nordic Walking, but didn't cost the earth. I came across this quite by chance, and although I was a little frustrated by the fact that there were at the time of buying, only four reviews, I noted that they were all five stars, with a decent write-up to accompany/explain each rating.

I wanted something that was waterproof and windproof, but light enough to cope with the vagaries of a British winter when I was was working moderately hard. It also needed to have pockets for all kinds of stuff.

This jackets ticks all the boxes. It's light, stylish with a flash of turquoise lining, a pocket for everything, including key clips, earphones and thumb cuff/mitts. It looks like it will meet my needs weatherwise as well.

The price varied for different sizes, so being mean, I opted for a size 14 in Black, which was 59, compared to the 83+ being demanded for my actual size, which is a size 10. I have to admit though that price wasn't the only factor in my choice. I prefer my outerwear to be a little on the large size in order to accommodate several layers underneath. The size 14 was perfect for me, not too baggy, still managing to look fashionably stylish in a kinda-urban way, even when I'm wearing my day clothes. The jacket also has an unexpected bonus in that it has zips under the sleeves to allow extra ventilation when required.

I've got to say that I'm loving this jacket and can't wait until next week to get out in it!

Afunta(tm) 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case-with Free Micro USB OTG Cable and Mini USB OTG Cable (Please note:it does NOT work for Coby Koros,Kindle fire & blackberry playbook)
Offered by Afunta UK
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, But..., 25 July 2012
I bought this for my Asus Google Nexus 7. On the plus side, it was/is great to have a proper keyboard at my disposal if I want it - the keyboard worked just fine with the Nexus 7, thanks to the inclusion of a micro USB adapter (the case suppliers make sure they cover all possible bases by providing a mini AND a micro USB adapter in addition to the standard USB cable). You can rest the back of the case on its stand and type comfortably to your heart's content.

Negatives - Obviously, this case isn't and doesn't claim to be leather (it's practically impossible to find any kind of genuine leather case for the Nexus 7 in the UK at the time of writing). However, there are far more realistic faux leather options available than this, which looks like and is a nasty, grainy plastic.

A far more serious gripe for me is that useful as it potentially is, this case is a no go for the Nexus 7. It's designed to hold the tablet in place with three retainers. Unfortunately the depth at which these retainers are set means that when case and tablet are turned into a vertical position (e.g to transport), the super-thin Nexus slips out of the retainers...and out of the case. Ouch! Might work for a thicker tablet, but not the one I have.

I've given up on it and have bought a much more lovely-looking, secure Luv-Tab case. OK, so it doesn't have an external keyboard, but I'm working on that...

Salter 108 SSDR high dial chromed metal scale
Salter 108 SSDR high dial chromed metal scale

3.0 out of 5 stars Underweight...., 25 Mar 2009
I bought these scales to replace a much-loved and used pair of twenty-year old cast iron scales which still work, but take a lot of cleaning to maintain their looks.

It was a bit of a shock after the reassuringly weighty feel of my old scales, to pick up the box which claimed to contain the new ones. They're so light, they're almost not there!

I love the stylish look of these scales. They work and they're easy to read, but I'd have loved something a little more sturdy...

Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser
Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars No Contest..., 20 Mar 2009
I bought the Panasonic 255 about 7 weeks ago, to the bemusement of my non live-in partner, who labelled my enthusiasm for the bread I'd already baked with it as a fad I'd quickly tire of.

He tasted a slice (or two) of basic white, congratulated me on it, but said the breadmaker itself was as ugly as hell.

Within 36 hours, he'd ordered a Morphy Richards 48468, chiefly on the strength of its admittedly handsome lines (stainless steel/black casing), with a nod to the fact that it was 30 cheaper than the Panny.

Aspiring breadmaker owners, DO NOT be seduced by comestic looks! Other breadmakers may be prettier, but they can't deliver in the bread stakes like the Panny - or at least the Morphy Richards 48468 can't.

As everyone else on here has already indicated, the Panasonic 255 (and I presume its sibling the 254) produces loaves that are as least as good as those of professional boutique bakers. The bread from the Morphy Richards produces bread that is far nicer than the average supermarket loaf, but you can tell it's not quite the real thing. My 10-year old son's comments include "his bread is nice mum, but it's got too many holes, you know, too much air in it". Out of the mouths of babes!

It's not just taste - Panasonic loaves also look normal too (at least, the medium sized loaf does), because unlike many other breadmakers, the Panny loaf tin is based on the traditional horizontal model. The Morphy Richards has a strange tin which produces a vertically-orientated loaf. This machine may be be beautiful, but its produce sure isn't.

I give my darling partner his due - he munches away on his over-aerated loaves, throwing admiring glances at his beautiful Morphy as he does so and hasn't bought a shop loaf since, but he concedes (very quietly) that my monster of a machine bakes bread par execellence. This concession was cemented by the comments of friends at a brunch I recently hosted, including those of a friend who said that her daughter's machine produced loaves designed to fill up children and that my bread provided a delightful contrast!

The Panasonic may be ugly - its clunky whiteness certainly doesn't sit well in a designer kitchen, but if you want good bread, you have to give a little. I haven't regretted my decision for one moment.