Profile for Tim > Reviews

Content by Tim

Tim

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Official Xbox 360 Media Remote (Xbox 360)
Official Xbox 360 Media Remote (Xbox 360)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great., 14 Oct 2014
It works, and is better than using the game controller for media functions, but button layout is poor and line of sight and a good aim are necessary, even just 8-9 feet away.

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

5.0 out of 5 stars If you care about colour then get one., 14 Oct 2014
Seems a little expensive for what it is, but this is the going rate. If it maximises the output quality from your camera and reduces editing times then suddenly the price doesn't seem so bad. Anyway, it certainly has a marked impact on colour reproduction with my cameras and I look forward to better pictures going forward.

DSTE® 2pcs LP-E6 Rechargerable Lithium-ion Battery for Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da, EOS 70D
Offered by DSTE

4.0 out of 5 stars Fully compatible with 5D3 camera and charger., 14 Oct 2014
Early days, so four stars for now, but these charge properly in my 7D and 5D3 chargers and can be registered and reported when fitted into the DSTE grip for my 5D3. They will probably improve after a few charge cycles, at which point they will be given the full give stars. Certainly the value is undeniable.

Humax RM-I02S Freesat Free time Remote Control
Humax RM-I02S Freesat Free time Remote Control
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 14 Oct 2014
Works just like the original. Remember to add batteries as none are supplied.

DSTE BG-E11 BGE11 Vertical Battery Grip Holder With wireless remote control for Canon EOS 5D Mark III 5D3 Digital Camera
Offered by DSTE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and performance, 14 Oct 2014
This arrived today, so it's not been exposed to long term use, but initial views as follows...

- appearance is good and the textured finish feels nice, at least the equal of the 5D3 itself.
- took some wriggling to fit the first time, but now good on and off easily enough.
- all controls work nicely.
- wireless remote is a nice touch for a very small additional outlay and really the while product appears to offer exceptional value for money.
- the only negative to report do far is a visible gap (very small) between grip and body in the middle area of the grip. However, there is no place here for water ingress, so probably no need for concern. The bigger question mark is to what degree, if any, weather resistance might have been compromised. It is very hard to make a judgement, but I tend to protect my gear from the elements so I'm not too concerned.

Overall it gets give stars for bargain pricing, fast delivery and good performance.

Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a work in progress, but so far very impressive., 17 July 2014
I bought mine from Amazon UK after a couple of nice price drops and it arrived today. I'm in my fifties and am on a crusade to lose weight and improve my fitness after some troubling news from the doctor a few months ago. I am not a competitive athlete, but I do want to measure/monitor my achievements and track progress towards my end goal. For such purpose this watch may seem like expensive overkill, but if it encourages and motivates me then it's a small price to pay for a healthy life.

So, about the watch....

It is large on the wrist, no doubt, but I am used to fairly substantial sports watches and it looks and feels fine to me, if rather techy. I shall be wearing it 24x7 so it needs to look OK throughout the day rather than just when working up a sweat. It's no dress watch, but it's staying on my wrist.

I found initial setup to be pretty easy via the online Polar Flow website, although there were some options which, if chosen, prevented the changes from being saved. I would put this down to beta troubles rather than a permanent failing. I hope I'm right.

So far today I have used it to track a 50 min walk with GPS and HRM, a 23 minute walk with GPS and no HRM and a 30 minute exercise bike session in which I was able to use both the watch and the Polar Beat Android app to record the session. Everything seems to have been logged perfectly so far and I feel confident that am measuring calorie burn as accurately as possible. This is especially important to me due to my weight loss goals. Of course, heart rate is an important metric and I have found the real time heart rate graphic in Polar Beta, together with the calorie count, to be highly motivating, to the extent that today's was by far my hardest exercise bike workout yet.

I know the watch and supporting software is still in development, but so far I am pretty thrilled with my purchase and any bugs with the Flow website have proved petty so far. I look forward to the time when Polar Flow is up and running for Android as well as iOS, but I can get by well enough without for now. The watch seems easy to use and familiarisation is nice and quick, despite the impressive feature set.

This will be a five star product, I'm sure, but for now I give it only four stars because the Android integration is yet to come and there do seem to be some website bugs.

Polar T31 Coded Transmitter
Polar T31 Coded Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless performance, 30 Jun 2014
My old Polar HRM was probably around ten years old and, while it still functioned electronically, the plastic was weak and treating apart to the point of breaking. The replacement works perfectly and should be good for several years to come. I use it with a Polar Vantage NV watch, which itself is over fifteen years old and only needs DIY battery replacement (50p each time) less than once per annum.

Flipps HD (Formerly iMediaShare HD)
Flipps HD (Formerly iMediaShare HD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Chromecast, 11 Jun 2014
I saw several negative reviews for this app, but as it was a free app for the day I gave it a try. I've only used it with my Chromecast dongle for short clips so far, but performance has exceeded expectations.it works well.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice toy, 25 Mar 2014
A nice little gizmo to play with, but doesn't offer much that I'll make use of - yet. I'm especially disappointed in browser casting, which looks pretty poor on my 1080p TV from my 1440p laptop, but which looks perfectly OK direct from my media PC. It would also be nice to cast slideshows from local tablet/phone storage, but a no go there. As a Sky subscriber Netflix looks like a poor alternative so nothing to see there. I'll probably forget that I even have it before to long.

If the features improve, which I'm sure they will, then maybe I'll find more use for it, but right now it is a novelty for the most part That's OK because I thought as much when purchasing. Still, I can't give it more than 3 stars for now. I don't doubt it is a 5 star device for many others.

Riptide GP2
Riptide GP2

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and plays well, but seems repetitve, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Riptide GP2 (App)
Looks good and plays well, but seems pretty repetitive to me. I also seem to be suffering from falling off the jet ski for no obvious reason on cleanly executed jumps. No clue why so no clue how to avoid.

I'm not big on mobile gaming, but if I want to drive at speed in circles I prefer Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8 Airborne, both of which are free and seem to offer more scope to reward skills and experience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4