Profile for Tim > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bike Computer Handlebar Mount for Garmin Edge 200, 500, 510, 800 and 810
Bike Computer Handlebar Mount for Garmin Edge 200, 500, 510, 800 and 810
Offered by Buzz Bikes

4.0 out of 5 stars My mistake for not paying attention to the handlebar sizing ..., 28 Feb. 2015
My mistake for not paying attention to the handlebar sizing, but this is for HUGE handlebars. I've had to cut up an old inner tube to pack out the gap between bars and the mount and tighten it down really hard to the point where I fear breaking the mount. Even so, my Garmin can still start drooping as I ride over rough terrain and the jarring makes the unbalanced weight pull forwards. I think I'll have to add even more packing, and maybe some sandpaper around the bars in order to increase grip. The bars are very smooth bare metal, so kind of slippery, especially in the rain.

Sealey 4.8 x 200mm Cable Ties (Pack of 100)
Sealey 4.8 x 200mm Cable Ties (Pack of 100)
Offered by Electromart-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product. Fantastic service by supplier to remedy the fault., 3 Feb. 2015
Unfortunately my experience of these ties was extremely disappointing. I attempted to use them to fit bicycle mudguards to a bike which has no conventional fixing points. I don't know whether the temperature influenced things (3 degrees centigrade) but several of the ties snapped whilst tightening them by hand without tools. They just seemed very brittle/fragile. When I did manage to get sufficient ties to hold whilst fitting I experienced multiple failures within less than a mile of cycling. This is supposed to be a good brand, but there is something very wrong with the ties I received.

On a positive note the seller was extremely responsive and within an hour of contact had arranged to have a replacement set sent out of equivalent spec, but different brand, and also refunded me the original purchase price. I am pleased to say that the replacement ties work perfectly and there have been no failures during fitting or during a 30 mile ride.

I'm sorry to have to give only one star for the product listed here, but the seller deserves a full five stars (already given) for outstanding customer service and the replacement ties deserve five stars too..

BTR Bicycle Top Tube Frame Cycling Pannier Bike Bag & Mobile Phone Holder / Mount - Water Resistant
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size. Minor niggles. Recommended., 30 Jan. 2015
I bought the large 2nd generation model. It is large enough to be useful and small enough to not get in the way or look daft. The perfect size choice for me. The phone pouch displays the whole of my Galaxy Note 3 screen from the notification bar down to the soft buttons and home button at the bottom. However, while the buttons can be used fairly easily it is difficult to pull down the notification bar.

The Velcro fastening for the frame tubes make sense, but the elasticated toggle for the stem seems a very odd design choice. No instructions meant a bit of head scratching, but I think I figured out what was expected. I have no idea why Velcro was not also used here though.

Finally, the soft bottom means that if you really snug it down tight onto the crossbar for maximum stability it wraps round and loses capacity as the crossbar pushes into the bag.

I was tempted to give five stars, as I do like it, but minor niggles listed above prevent full marks. Still recommended though.

Lékué 600 ml Bread Maker, Brown
Lékué 600 ml Bread Maker, Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Less mess, easy cleaning., 16 Jan. 2015
Reduces mess in preparation and cooking and the bread turns out nicely. Easy to clean. Flexible nature makes kneading a bit more tricky, so 4 stars rather than 5, but overall a good product which will see further use.

VeloChampion Bike Computer Handlebar Mount for Garmin Edge 200, 500, 510, 800 and 810
Offered by Maxgear Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with my purchase., 16 Jan. 2015
Absolutely no need to spend more. This does exactly what it should at much lower cost than the overpriced Garmin equivalent. It was slightly lose on my bars, even packed out with the supplied rubber insert, but I ripped up a bit of plastic carrier bag to take up the slack and it is rock solid. I'll give it the full 5 stars because it works as advertised and it is not the fault of the product that my handlebars are skinny.

Garmin Edge Touring Plus GPS Bike Computer with Preloaded Cycle Maps and Points of Interest

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance (5 stars) once you get to grips with the interface (-1 star). Recommended., 19 Dec. 2014
I've only had mine for a couple of days, so limited experience, but here goes.....

I've used various satnav solutions over the years including TomTom, CoPilot, GoogleMaps and various other smartphone apps. However, for cycling, the limited battery life with the display fighting against daylight for hours at a time meant looking for a better solution. I have tried using voice instructions from the phone, with the screen off, but they were barely audible through the phone speaker and I found earbuds to be less than ideal when needing to remain alert to things around me. So this brought me to the Garmin. The price right now for the Touring Plus model is unbeatable at Amazon (£147.99), rather oddly priced at the same value as the standard Touring version, so I snapped one up. Of course the review cast some major doubts in my mind so I was perfectly prepared to return it if it turned out to be as awful as some reviewers say.

On day one of ownership I spent many hours trying to fathom how to use the thing, including the Basecamp software, Garmin Connect and GPX routes from various sites. I have to say that at first my progress was extremely slow, despite years of IT experience and a good grasp of technology. Compared to some services such as Google Maps, with simple route dragging, the Garmin Basecamp software is unbelievably clunky. I guess this is old school satnav, probably dating back a decade or two.

The interface on the unit itself is even worse. To call it unintuitive is an understatement. Linking Basecamp and the Edge together there seems to be no advice from Garmin on best practice - e.g. why to choose internal storage over external and vice versa, or how to most effectively organise assets within Basecamp. Anyway, I'm slowly making progress there, but some things still befuddle me. For example, I have saved several locations from Basecamp to the internal memory and now it seems impossible to delete them. I can't delete them from the Basecamp software, nor from Windows, nor from the unit itself. Searching for answers has revealed no clues. Importing back from the Edge into Basecamp all the assets from internal memory now have different cons, and where I recopy a set of assets, instead of overwriting existing ones the software creates duplicates with a new name. This makes syncing new assets more work than necessary.

Also, whilst setting the Edge up and playing around with it indoors I found the screen barely visible without the backlight. I thought this would be useless on a ride without having the backlight on pretty much constantly, thus reducing battery life enormously

So, so far not exactly a great experience, but......

On day two I got to use it for a 47 mile ride and managed to load it with sufficient waypoints (locations) and route plans to actually make it useful. Well I'm pleased to say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating and using it for what it was designed to do was really quite a pleasure. The recalcitrant screen was perfectly visible outdoors, even under overcast skies or approaching dusk, and the backlight coming on just for instructions was perfect. Satellite pickup was fast and rock solid,with accuracy reported as 3-4m (usually 3m). The countdowns to each turn in both distance and time were very reassuring, giving great confidence that I would not pick the wrong turning.

I let the Edge pick the route for the first 10 miles and it took me along a path I did not previously know existed and would never have chosen in a million ears. It was a great route and provided immediate satisfaction and a very positive reaction to the talents of this little device. After 10 miles I teamed up with some other riders for a led ride, so rather than riding to a planned route I just followed the leader and let the Edge keep a record of the journey. At 30 miles the group split and I plotted a route back home on the Edge. This time there was another ride leader and I was paying close attention to what the Edge wanted us to do vs the decisions of the leader. At times there were discrepancies. There's nothing wrong with that as there were many options available and the ride leader was free to make his own routing decisions. What was interesting to monitor was how quickly the Edge replanned when the ride leader deviated from the Edge's chosen path. There was one occasion where they were at odds with each other for some miles and the Edge wanted us to U-turn repeatedly. However, eventually it capitulated and replanned from our new position. From that point onwards, whenever there was another deviation the Edge replanned quite quickly (within a few seconds) so it seemed unphased by not following the planned route. This is one area of complaint in reviews, and I think the performance of the Edge was just fine. I can only imagine that the one long stretch of "argument" was because it took quite a while on the "wrong" path before the Edge accepted that going forward was better than going back.

So, after a shaky start when first getting to grips with the Garmin world and this device I have to say that it has already grown on me and I look forward to using it on every ride (two long ones per week) from now on. There is no doubt that there is a learning curve to the ecosystem and interface, but once that's cracked I can't fault the performance of the device itself.

I was tempted to give it five stars, because it does work well, but I've deducted a star for the prehistoric interface on both the desktop software and unit itself. If you're after a dedicated cycling satnav then at this price from Amazon I'd say go for it.

Sekonic Exposure Profile Target 2 - For use with the L-758 range of Light Meters
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

3.0 out of 5 stars Really just too expensive for such a simple thing. £20 would be more reasonable., 31 Oct. 2014
The price is, IMHO, ridiculous, but if you want to get the most from your expensive meter, camera and lens then I guess it's a necessary evil. Three stars for poor value, although I'm sure it's a fine product.

SMALLRIG 1/4" to 3/8" Convert Screw (5 Pack) Adapter for Tripod and Camera and Quick Release Plate
Offered by SmallRig Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price. Hard to fault, 31 Oct. 2014
Slow postage, as expected, but arrived ahead of forecast. A tight fit, requiring tools to screw all the way in (or on), but once fitted they work just fine. The value for money is hard to beat.

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon 100mm/F2.8L IS 2.8L Macro Lens Made of Aluminum Alloy
Offered by UK Highland Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely satisfactory alternative to the real thing at a bargain price., 31 Oct. 2014
A simple enough product, with little to go wrong. It fits and it works. So long as it doesn't break it's hard to give less than five stars, especially at 1/5 the price of the Canon original.

Wolfram|Alpha
Wolfram|Alpha

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor for UK searches and results., 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Wolfram|Alpha (App)
Hopeless at providing answers for the UK. So much for using location.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5