Profile for Tim > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by OutdoorHero

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a work in progress, but so far very impressive., 17 July 2014
I bought mine from Amazon UK after a couple of nice price drops and it arrived today. I'm in my fifties and am on a crusade to lose weight and improve my fitness after some troubling news from the doctor a few months ago. I am not a competitive athlete, but I do want to measure/monitor my achievements and track progress towards my end goal. For such purpose this watch may seem like expensive overkill, but if it encourages and motivates me then it's a small price to pay for a healthy life.

So, about the watch....

It is large on the wrist, no doubt, but I am used to fairly substantial sports watches and it looks and feels fine to me, if rather techy. I shall be wearing it 24x7 so it needs to look OK throughout the day rather than just when working up a sweat. It's no dress watch, but it's staying on my wrist.

I found initial setup to be pretty easy via the online Polar Flow website, although there were some options which, if chosen, prevented the changes from being saved. I would put this down to beta troubles rather than a permanent failing. I hope I'm right.

So far today I have used it to track a 50 min walk with GPS and HRM, a 23 minute walk with GPS and no HRM and a 30 minute exercise bike session in which I was able to use both the watch and the Polar Beat Android app to record the session. Everything seems to have been logged perfectly so far and I feel confident that am measuring calorie burn as accurately as possible. This is especially important to me due to my weight loss goals. Of course, heart rate is an important metric and I have found the real time heart rate graphic in Polar Beta, together with the calorie count, to be highly motivating, to the extent that today's was by far my hardest exercise bike workout yet.

I know the watch and supporting software is still in development, but so far I am pretty thrilled with my purchase and any bugs with the Flow website have proved petty so far. I look forward to the time when Polar Flow is up and running for Android as well as iOS, but I can get by well enough without for now. The watch seems easy to use and familiarisation is nice and quick, despite the impressive feature set.

This will be a five star product, I'm sure, but for now I give it only four stars because the Android integration is yet to come and there do seem to be some website bugs.

Polar T31 Coded Transmitter
Polar T31 Coded Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless performance, 30 Jun 2014
My old Polar HRM was probably around ten years old and, while it still functioned electronically, the plastic was weak and treating apart to the point of breaking. The replacement works perfectly and should be good for several years to come. I use it with a Polar Vantage NV watch, which itself is over fifteen years old and only needs DIY battery replacement (50p each time) less than once per annum.

Flipps HD (Formerly iMediaShare HD)
Flipps HD (Formerly iMediaShare HD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Chromecast, 11 Jun 2014
I saw several negative reviews for this app, but as it was a free app for the day I gave it a try. I've only used it with my Chromecast dongle for short clips so far, but performance has exceeded expectations.it works well.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Offered by SARRAR

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice toy, 25 Mar 2014
A nice little gizmo to play with, but doesn't offer much that I'll make use of - yet. I'm especially disappointed in browser casting, which looks pretty poor on my 1080p TV from my 1440p laptop, but which looks perfectly OK direct from my media PC. It would also be nice to cast slideshows from local tablet/phone storage, but a no go there. As a Sky subscriber Netflix looks like a poor alternative so nothing to see there. I'll probably forget that I even have it before to long.

If the features improve, which I'm sure they will, then maybe I'll find more use for it, but right now it is a novelty for the most part That's OK because I thought as much when purchasing. Still, I can't give it more than 3 stars for now. I don't doubt it is a 5 star device for many others.

Riptide GP2
Riptide GP2

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and plays well, but seems repetitve, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Riptide GP2 (App)
Looks good and plays well, but seems pretty repetitive to me. I also seem to be suffering from falling off the jet ski for no obvious reason on cleanly executed jumps. No clue why so no clue how to avoid.

I'm not big on mobile gaming, but if I want to drive at speed in circles I prefer Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8 Airborne, both of which are free and seem to offer more scope to reward skills and experience.

Knife Wizard Electric Knife Sharpener
Knife Wizard Electric Knife Sharpener
Offered by Colanders FBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems hit and miss, 9 Feb 2014
There seems to be a knack required to angling the blade within the slots properly. I've had no end of irritation finding that things just don't seem right on many strokes and needing to repeatedly adjust from stroke to stroke until I find the sweet spot, which can easily become lost.

Also, the coarse sharpener seemed pretty good at hacking chunks out of some knives on first use. Maybe the knives were inferior quality to begin with, but it did not seem a promising start. Now I just stick with the fine grade and things seem better.

Belkin Notebook Cush Desk - Pitch Black/Soft Grey
Belkin Notebook Cush Desk - Pitch Black/Soft Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it should, 9 Feb 2014
It's comfortable and effective at keeping airways free for the laptop. At first glance it looks huge, but in practice it is just right. Subtle tones are infinitely preferable to garish colours too. Very inoffensive. :-)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps 8.3" tablet charged while running sat nav., 9 Feb 2014
Functionally it's just perfect. It's a good, snug fit into the power socket and keeps my LG G Pad quad core tablet fully charged while running sat nav in the car. To think that with other chargers in the past I could not even maintain charge level on a 3.7" single core phone while doing the same thing. This is the real deal.

Stanley Moulded Body Surform Block Plane 521104
Stanley Moulded Body Surform Block Plane 521104

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorted my swollen hardwood front door, 9 Jan 2014
For £4.69 including next day delivery this proved an economical and effective solution to my sticking front door, which over the years has dropped a little and in the recent downpours swollen too. If I never use it again it will still be a bargain.

ELTD® PU Leather Smart Cover Case For LG G Pad 8.3 With Stand Function (For LG G Pad 8.3, BlackIII)
Offered by X-FlashBox

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good overall. Could be improved a little., 20 Dec 2013
Looks good. Feels good. Seems to offer decent protection. Cutouts well sized and positioned. Cover does wake and sleep the device. As an upright stand there is a knack to positioning the edge of the flap to lock with a magnet. Once that is located it's fine. If you don't locate the magnet the stand won't work.

Although branded on this Amazon site as "ELTD" the actual magnetic fastener is labeled "IVSO", which is also listed by Amazon, so I think you would be safe to pick either.

I've deducted one star because the screen cover does slide a bit over the face of the screen. It appears that there are two magnets in the corners of the rear case, but nothing in the cover to match them to. The cover does not seem as though it would flap open easily, but the way the cover slides over the screen seems to have not been engineered write perfectly. Even do, I'm pleased with the purchase and will enjoy using it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4