Profile for Tim > Reviews

Content by Tim

Tim

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Garmin Edge Touring Plus GPS Bike Computer with Preloaded Cycle Maps and Points of Interest
Offered by International Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance (5 stars) once you get to grips with the interface (-1 star). Recommended., 19 Dec 2014
I've only had mine for a couple of days, so limited experience, but here goes.....

I've used various satnav solutions over the years including TomTom, CoPilot, GoogleMaps and various other smartphone apps. However, for cycling, the limited battery life with the display fighting against daylight for hours at a time meant looking for a better solution. I have tried using voice instructions from the phone, with the screen off, but they were barely audible through the phone speaker and I found earbuds to be less than ideal when needing to remain alert to things around me. So this brought me to the Garmin. The price right now for the Touring Plus model is unbeatable at Amazon (£147.99), rather oddly priced at the same value as the standard Touring version, so I snapped one up. Of course the review cast some major doubts in my mind so I was perfectly prepared to return it if it turned out to be as awful as some reviewers say.

On day one of ownership I spent many hours trying to fathom how to use the thing, including the Basecamp software, Garmin Connect and GPX routes from various sites. I have to say that at first my progress was extremely slow, despite years of IT experience and a good grasp of technology. Compared to some services such as Google Maps, with simple route dragging, the Garmin Basecamp software is unbelievably clunky. I guess this is old school satnav, probably dating back a decade or two.

The interface on the unit itself is even worse. To call it unintuitive is an understatement. Linking Basecamp and the Edge together there seems to be no advice from Garmin on best practice - e.g. why to choose internal storage over external and vice versa, or how to most effectively organise assets within Basecamp. Anyway, I'm slowly making progress there, but some things still befuddle me. For example, I have saved several locations from Basecamp to the internal memory and now it seems impossible to delete them. I can't delete them from the Basecamp software, nor from Windows, nor from the unit itself. Searching for answers has revealed no clues. Importing back from the Edge into Basecamp all the assets from internal memory now have different cons, and where I recopy a set of assets, instead of overwriting existing ones the software creates duplicates with a new name. This makes syncing new assets more work than necessary.

Also, whilst setting the Edge up and playing around with it indoors I found the screen barely visible without the backlight. I thought this would be useless on a ride without having the backlight on pretty much constantly, thus reducing battery life enormously

So, so far not exactly a great experience, but......

On day two I got to use it for a 47 mile ride and managed to load it with sufficient waypoints (locations) and route plans to actually make it useful. Well I'm pleased to say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating and using it for what it was designed to do was really quite a pleasure. The recalcitrant screen was perfectly visible outdoors, even under overcast skies or approaching dusk, and the backlight coming on just for instructions was perfect. Satellite pickup was fast and rock solid,with accuracy reported as 3-4m (usually 3m). The countdowns to each turn in both distance and time were very reassuring, giving great confidence that I would not pick the wrong turning.

I let the Edge pick the route for the first 10 miles and it took me along a path I did not previously know existed and would never have chosen in a million ears. It was a great route and provided immediate satisfaction and a very positive reaction to the talents of this little device. After 10 miles I teamed up with some other riders for a led ride, so rather than riding to a planned route I just followed the leader and let the Edge keep a record of the journey. At 30 miles the group split and I plotted a route back home on the Edge. This time there was another ride leader and I was paying close attention to what the Edge wanted us to do vs the decisions of the leader. At times there were discrepancies. There's nothing wrong with that as there were many options available and the ride leader was free to make his own routing decisions. What was interesting to monitor was how quickly the Edge replanned when the ride leader deviated from the Edge's chosen path. There was one occasion where they were at odds with each other for some miles and the Edge wanted us to U-turn repeatedly. However, eventually it capitulated and replanned from our new position. From that point onwards, whenever there was another deviation the Edge replanned quite quickly (within a few seconds) so it seemed unphased by not following the planned route. This is one area of complaint in reviews, and I think the performance of the Edge was just fine. I can only imagine that the one long stretch of "argument" was because it took quite a while on the "wrong" path before the Edge accepted that going forward was better than going back.

So, after a shaky start when first getting to grips with the Garmin world and this device I have to say that it has already grown on me and I look forward to using it on every ride (two long ones per week) from now on. There is no doubt that there is a learning curve to the ecosystem and interface, but once that's cracked I can't fault the performance of the device itself.

I was tempted to give it five stars, because it does work well, but I've deducted a star for the prehistoric interface on both the desktop software and unit itself. If you're after a dedicated cycling satnav then at this price from Amazon I'd say go for it.

Sekonic Exposure Profile Target 2 - For use with the L-758 range of Light Meters

3.0 out of 5 stars Really just too expensive for such a simple thing. £20 would be more reasonable., 31 Oct 2014
The price is, IMHO, ridiculous, but if you want to get the most from your expensive meter, camera and lens then I guess it's a necessary evil. Three stars for poor value, although I'm sure it's a fine product.

SMALLRIG 1/4" to 3/8" Convert Screw (5 Pack) Adapter for Tripod and Camera and Quick Release Plate
Offered by SmallRig Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price. Hard to fault, 31 Oct 2014
Slow postage, as expected, but arrived ahead of forecast. A tight fit, requiring tools to screw all the way in (or on), but once fitted they work just fine. The value for money is hard to beat.

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon 100mm/F2.8L IS 2.8L Macro Lens Made of Aluminum Alloy
Offered by UK Highland Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely satisfactory alternative to the real thing at a bargain price., 31 Oct 2014
A simple enough product, with little to go wrong. It fits and it works. So long as it doesn't break it's hard to give less than five stars, especially at 1/5 the price of the Canon original.

Wolfram|Alpha
Wolfram|Alpha

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor for UK searches and results., 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Wolfram|Alpha (App)
Hopeless at providing answers for the UK. So much for using location.

PRAM BUGGY PUSHCHAIR PARASOL UMBRELLA - UMBRELLA FITS MOST PRAMS AND BUGGIES - MATERIAL STAINLESS STEEL AND PLASTIC - FOLD EASILY FOR STORAGE - DESIGNED FOR PROTECTION AGAINST SUN AND COLD WINTER WINDS - IDEAL FOR YOUR BABY AND INFANTS TO KEEP THEM DRY AND PROTECTED (PACK OF 1, WHITE)
Offered by value 4 money

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well with a tripod for rainy landscapes, 31 Oct 2014
I bought this to save my camera and lens from the rain in the Lake District, with the brolly attached to my tripod rather than a buggy. Obviously this is not a viable solution in windy conditions, but no fault of the product. It does fit my tripod leg, just, and the shaft is long enough to keep the brolly clear of the FOV of a 24mm lens on a full frame body. It would be nice to have a finer degree of angle adjustment, but I can get it where it needs to be so that's all that matters. For the price it seems quite the bargain - if it proves durable. One star deducted because finer angle adjustment would be helpful.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Official Xbox 360 Media Remote (Xbox 360)
Official Xbox 360 Media Remote (Xbox 360)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals - Still time for delivery before Xmas - Order today!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great., 14 Oct 2014
It works, and is better than using the game controller for media functions, but button layout is poor and line of sight and a good aim are necessary, even just 8-9 feet away.

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

5.0 out of 5 stars If you care about colour then get one., 14 Oct 2014
Seems a little expensive for what it is, but this is the going rate. If it maximises the output quality from your camera and reduces editing times then suddenly the price doesn't seem so bad. Anyway, it certainly has a marked impact on colour reproduction with my cameras and I look forward to better pictures going forward.

DSTE® 2pcs LP-E6 Rechargerable Lithium-ion Battery for Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da, EOS 70D, 7DmarkII,7DmarkIII
Offered by DSTE

4.0 out of 5 stars Fully compatible with 5D3 camera and charger., 14 Oct 2014
Early days, so four stars for now, but these charge properly in my 7D and 5D3 chargers and can be registered and reported when fitted into the DSTE grip for my 5D3. They will probably improve after a few charge cycles, at which point they will be given the full give stars. Certainly the value is undeniable.

Humax RM-I02S Freesat Free time Remote Control
Humax RM-I02S Freesat Free time Remote Control
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 14 Oct 2014
Works just like the original. Remember to add batteries as none are supplied.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5