Profile for Maz > Reviews

Exam Ref 70-483: Programming in C#
by Wouter de Kort
Price: 17.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Poo-er, 10 Dec 2013
The most important part of any MS Exam study guide are the practice exams. This has none, so it's already only capable of picking up a maximum of 2 stars from me. Another reviewer has pointed out the technical errors in the book, and commented on its poor layout and choppy presentation. So I needn't repeat those comments here.

I am still persevering with it, as I have few alternatives for the core exam curriculum, but I've had to read Jon Skeet's book C# In Depth and the O'Reilly book Programming C# for the in depth coverage, and clear exposition of C# features that this book lacks.

It's a thin enough book, so it shouldn't have taken long to read. Truth is, I abandoned it half way through chapter 1, and have read and reread C# in Depth, before I felt ready to spend any more time on it. It took just 20 minutes on the train this morning to motivate me to log on and write this review.

Read and Write Urdu Script: Teach Yourself
Read and Write Urdu Script: Teach Yourself
by Richard Delacy
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Best resource I've found for this difficult task., 15 Nov 2011
Generally good. Would have preferred it to be a little longer. I don't think anything will make learning Urdu script either easy or enjoyable. But this is certainly the best resource I've found.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 8:36 PM BST

Russian Classics in Russian and English: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Dual-Language Book)
by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Price: 14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Faint print, typeface too small., 29 Sep 2011
Unlike other books in this series, e.g. Russian Classics in Russian and English: The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy (Dual-Language Book Russian Edition), the typeface used for the Russian font is somewhat faint, and on the small side, at least for my 49 year-old eyes. Other than that, it's a nice basic paper-back with a pleasantly hefty feel. I suspect the length of the orginal novel is what compromised the print production quality. It's a shame, as the Tolstoy book is what led me to buy this.

I can't comment on the quality of the translation. If I could, I wouldn't need this side-by-side crib. Having said that, the translation isn't quite as literal as it could have been in some places. On the other hand, I imagine Dostoevsky isn't a writer who can be translated literally.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2011 9:45 AM BST

Five Hundred Russian Words with All Their Inflected Forms and Other Grammatical Information: Russian-English Dictionary with an English-Russian Word Index and an Appendix on Russian Endings
by Richard L. Leed
Price: 29.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 15 Aug 2011
It's not a tutorial. It's not a dictionary per se. The only quibble, as ever with these things is whether or not the vocabulary listed meshes with your learning needs. I haven't decided yet whether or not it does.

The Chronicles of Narnia (7-NIL stories in one book) / Khroniki Narnii (7-m istoriy v odnoy knige)
by Lyuis K. S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorter, and much less idiomatic that the originals., 5 Aug 2011
Ok, So I've only read the Magician's Nephew so far. ......................

What I have noticed is that the language is simpler than other Russian translations of these stories.
As a beginner in Russian, this is something I appreciate, however it has the disadvantage of rendering the translation less literal, without making it any more 'literary'. Obviously Lewis's rendition of English middle-class children's speech, whether it's that of the 1950's, when the stories were written, or that of the Edwardian period in which the story is set, is never going to be easy to translate into Russian, and, as far as I can tell, the story isn't any the worse for it not having been attempted. The over-chumminess of the authorial voice in the narrative sections which was something I didn't notice as a child 40 years ago, but which now grates on me as an adult, I don't miss from this Russian translation. Mind you, the Harry Potter stories lose nothing when translated to French either. And for other readers, coming to translated children's literature as a means of learning a language, my impression is that the Narnia books are much simpler than the Potter books. But that may just be because of choices made by the translators, and not the original authors.

Waffle, waffle, waffle...........

Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
by John Derbyshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic achievement, 28 Feb 2011
Fantastic.
The exposition tends to increase in terms of difficulty as you go through the book. Similarly, more and more difficult material is omitted with varying degrees of 'hand-waving', especially near the very end, but for a mathematical ignoramus like me to come away with some feel for the theorem is a real achievement, for which the author should receive full credit. If only he'd taught A-level maths at my school................................................

Advanced Calculus Demystified
Advanced Calculus Demystified
by David Bachman
Price: 11.69

4.0 out of 5 stars OK But, 20 Aug 2008
It's OK, and accessible and interesting read, but like other books in this series ( eg Partial Differential Equations) seems to suffer from typos and errors in the equations in the text and exercises. Of course this might because of my basic level of understanding of the material. :-(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2011 12:32 PM GMT