Profile for Aaron > Reviews

Content by Aaron

Aaron (MELTON MOWBRAY, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox 360)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox 360)
Offered by Future Gaming UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game with a great storyline, 5 Aug 2013
This really is one of those games where, before playing it, you ask yourself if you're making a mistake. It's also one of those games where I can honestly say that you aren't making a mistake what so ever.

The only reason I gave this a four instead of a five was because I found the story far more enjoyable than actually playing the game. I found myself wishing the cinematic sequences would last longer so I could enjoy the story being told instead of actually having to go and fight some more.

The game play is rather repetitive, but that has to be expected from a fighter like this. It is well worth the money paid and a must for any comic book fan. There is also a lot to do outside of the story in way of the challenge modes. So plenty of hours of game play.

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to the trilogy!, 5 Aug 2013
I have been meaning to read this trilogy for some time and after reading the Assassin's Apprentice I am furious with myself for not having done so sooner. I literally could not put the book down.

It starts off relatively slow, but this is essential for character building and when you get part way through the book you appreciate that the slowness was there.

The characters in the book are well written and fleshed out. You really develop attachments to them, especially the animals, I find. Sometimes you forget you are reading the life of a fictional character and feel as though it has happened and is happening to you.

In most books, the end of a chapter is a suitable place to stop reading for the night. With the Assassin's Apprentice you always feel the need to carry on and rarely want to stop. I think the fact that it's written in first person perspective is the main reason for this. It always has more of an allure when written like that as opposed to third person.

In closing, I would just like to say that if you are a fantasy fan and have not read this trilogy, it really is one of those trilogies that you have to read. Essential reading for any fan of the genre.

Death on the Nile (Poirot)
Death on the Nile (Poirot)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good detective novel., 6 May 2013
The book, as a whole, is well written and a very good story. The villain, whom I guessed pretty much as soon as the crime had been committed, was one you wouldn't expect (unless like myself you guessed through silly logic that you normally wouldn't apply.) I think because I guessed fairly early on is the only reason I gave this 4 instead of 5.

It was a very enjoyable read and must have been popular as it was adapted for the stage at one point.

The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine epic fantasy!, 6 May 2013
I, like many other readers, reached the end of the Songs of Ice and Fire series only to be frustrated at George Martin's glacial writing speed. I decided that I hadn't quite finished with epic fantasy so decided to do some research. The First Law trilogy popped up numerously both online and through friend recommendations. I am glad it did.

The characters are vastly different from each other and, despite the fact that each one is technically a 'grey' character, they are easily loved. I am part way through the 2nd book as I write this and already I dread the day I turn the final page of the third book.

It is very addictive and so easy to slip into. Highly recommended.

Beautiful 925 Sterling Silver Ladies Pendant + Chain with Blue Topaz - 14mm*7mm
Beautiful 925 Sterling Silver Ladies Pendant + Chain with Blue Topaz - 14mm*7mm
Offered by Luxury in Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for my friend, 6 May 2013
I bought this as a gift for my friend's birthday. I did not tell her how much I spent and she's under the impression that I spent far more than the money paid. The necklace is of a good quality and looks very appealing to the eye. It also goes well with most anything a woman might choose to wear.

Well worth the purchase.

Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Homme Eau de Toilette Spray 50 ml
Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Homme Eau de Toilette Spray 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Great smell, but odd container., 5 Mar 2013
I like the smell of this Eau De Toilette. It's not over-powering and actually smells slightly feminine when first applied. It does take on a more masculine aroma after the passage of a few seconds.

The only reason this did not score five stars is because it looks like a staple gun. A stylish staple gun, but a staple gun nonetheless. It can make spraying your face at certain angles a little tricky due to the shape of the container.

Well worth a purchase, though.

Cards on the Table (Poirot)
Cards on the Table (Poirot)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not brilliant., 19 Feb 2013
The premise for this story is a party host being murdered during a game of bridge. One of the four people in that room is the murderer. With next to no evidence, Poirot, a crime novelist and Scotland yard are set to solving this mystery.

It has the hallmarks of a good read, but I feel Christie tries too hard in places. For instance, a series of events happen that have next to no bearing on the case. She paints an unbelievable psychological portrait of the suspects that just doesn't really hold much substance. And the most detracting thing is that the vast majority of the book revolves around Bridge terminology. If you are unacquainted with the game you will have no clue what a trick, dummy, rubber, grand slam etc... are and whole pages (often whole bouts of conversation) are taken up with such terminology.

It's not a bad story as a whole. The reader is often thrown through loops as to who the criminal is, so it does keep you thinking. However, I found myself reading more to get through it than out of the excitement a Poirot novel usually gives me, though. It's certainly worth a read, but there are other Poirot titles that are more deserving.

The Mentalist - Season 1-3 Complete [DVD]
The Mentalist - Season 1-3 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Baker
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans of deductive detectives, 18 Feb 2013
As a fan of Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, I fancied looking for something that, much like my favourite books (the aforementioned detectives) used deduction as their stock and trade.

Patrick Jane is a master of manipulating the mind and getting to the root of peoples' thoughts. He is a consulting detective, formerly a TV psychic. Patrick dropped the fake act he had been earning a living off of ever since it drove a killer by the name of Red John to murder his family in order to teach Jane a lesson. He now devotes his time to trying to catch Red John.

Jane can tell when you're lying just by talking to you and gazing into your eyes and sees pretty much everything that other people might miss or dismiss as unimportant. It is often a chance word spoken in conversation that leads him to his triumphant conclusions. Or some abstract item that regular police would have over-looked.

The Mentalist is, by far, one of my favourite TV shows and I just can't wait to watch more of it. The entire cast make the show something truly fantastic. Agent Lisbon is the stern voice of reason who still bends the rules when needed. There's an awkward tension in the air between Agent Rigby and the lovely Agent Van Pelt. And a mix of comedy and sternness from Agent Cho.

For fans of Sherlock and more of his ilk, Patrick Jane will fit perfectly into your DVD collection and soon work his way up to the very top of your list for favourite sleuths. It would be a crime not to purchase The Mentalist. And let's face it, he'd catch and convict you of that crime ;)

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (Xbox 360)
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but repetitive., 17 Feb 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As is the case with most Spider Man games, Web of Shadows is a touch repetitive. The bulk of what you do is tasks for various main characters, however repetition is present in most games nowadays. Assassin's Creed, Spider Man, UFC, WWE etc... Which is why I did not rate it down from 5 to 4 stars based on that little flaw. The reason I knocked a star off will be made apparent further down.

The game, as a whole, is fantastic. It has boss battles that are both fun and challenging, and it has a story line that is genuinely one of the most enjoyable a game based on comic book heroes has ever produced. If Marvel were to take the plot from Web of Shadows and turn it into a graphic novel, it would be a damn fine offering to the comic collectors of the world. And certainly a fantastic cross-over piece! (What's not to love about Spider Man being torn between the red and black suit, whilst an assortment of heroes and villains from the marvel universe have him working for/with them?)

There are a couple of drawbacks that had me marking it down from 5 stars to 4. The first being the shoddy camera. I picked this game up after playing the Amazing Spider Man. I loved that and just HAD to have more Spidey games right away. Web of Shadows was slated as the best, so I tried it. It is a great game, but the erratic camera ruins it in places (Amazing Spider Man's camera is far, far smoother). You can be swinging through the city one moment and the next you will not be able to see where you're going as the camera will decide it wants to go every way it can possibly go...ALL AT ONCE. The same can be said for when you're landing on top of roof tops. It doesn't do it all the time, but after a long climb up a building you do not want the camera to sharply cut away, thus leaving you open for attack from the dozen enemies on said roof top.

The other downside, and this is a big downside if, like me, you like collecting all of the extras on offer (in this case spider tokens) in order to get achievements, is that you are not allowed to free roam the city after completion of the game. Once you beat the final boss battle you are returned to the main screen. When you click continue, hoping to get stuck into the city for some free-roaming action, you are shown the credit screen and returned to the title screen once more. So make sure you do all you need to do before the final boss battle.

With that being said, I would still highly recommend this game to any fans of Spider Man.

Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic show!, 17 Feb 2013
As did many, I read the books long before I watched the series. Series one (unlike series 2) sticks to the plot line of the novel it is based on almost word for word. The acting is brilliant and I feel the cast is almost a perfect fit for the book. The only exceptions being (perhaps) Cersei and Catelyn. I pictured them a little differently in my mind. Tyrion, Jamie, Eddard Stark, Arya, Bran and others are all cast brilliantly.

The actors really do bring the book to life. It is a must purchase for any fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series of books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8