Profile for EIR > Reviews

Celebrate
Celebrate
by Pippa Middleton

2.0 out of 5 stars Sack the editor, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Celebrate (Hardcover)
The person accountable for this book is the commissioning editor who allowed the following quotes (among the others) to pass into print:

'Because of their size, turkeys are perfect for feeding larger gatherings" (this could catch on at, say, Christmas)

* 'For parties, wrap a small gift. Sit everyone in a circle and ask them to pass the parcel...' (why has no one thought of this before for children's parties?)

* 'Outdoor seating: hay bales and tree stumps are practical' (this could be big in Peckham)

* 'Store cupboards, drawers or boxes should be packed full of useful odds and ends (so that's what they are for!)

Don't blame Pippa. Who among us wouldn't take the money and she had a team of 'advisors' helping her every step of the way.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 6:35 PM GMT

Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charity Wakefield

3.0 out of 5 stars Five star reviewers - how could you?!, 29 Oct 2010
What are you thinking?

It's Austen so always good for a dark night when you need cheering up. I can't bring myself to give it fewer stars than three and I realise the comparison is tough vis a vis the Emma Thompson movie. However -

1) Coupling still wrong and miscastings going on all around. Marianne looks even younger than she does in the film version with Kate Winslet and the pairing with Brandon even more inappropriate. How it can be possible I don't know, but it is.
2) Willoughby - nowhere near dashing and dastardly enough. Ridiculous sex scene at the beginning too. Out of place and he doesn't seem capable of it either.
3) Elinor does not have enough sparkle or personality to carry the show. Very non descript I am sorry to say. Nor does Brandon.Fanny is too camp.

I could go on.

These shouldn't be the sort of roles that are that hard to get right, curious it happens as often as the film seems to be made these days though.

Lost Voices of the Edwardians: 1901-1910 in Their Own Words: 1901-1910 in Their Own Words

3.0 out of 5 stars Some analysis would have been nice, 11 Oct 2010
I am really enjoying reading the comments from the individuals in this book - it's great that the author has pulled all of this information together in one source. However, I would have liked to hear more from him too. An introductory section with some analysis in each of the areas would have been ideal in my opinion and brought some more depth to this fascinating topic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2010 10:22 AM BST

Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl
Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl
by Susan McCorkindale

3.0 out of 5 stars Is she marketing for Starbucks these days?, 26 Aug 2010
I really see the point of the person who gave this book one star. It came across as quite immature in parts and I felt that there was more to the situation - and her - than she possibly gave herself credit for or laid out here. I stuck with it because I have this rural dream of fleeing to a farm too - I have a lifestyle not so dissimilar to her old one, although in the UK - and I was interested in how she got herself from that point to a farm. Turns out she's got a stonkingly rich brother in law that set them up on the 500 acres. The religious signage aside (and it's certainly there), the woman is living amongst some of the 'oldest money' families in America - hardly 'the Sticks.' It's basically like moving next door to Althorp. So, not much comparison between her and the smallholding in Wales I would be in the position to move to! Someone should have been brave enough to tell her to cut the Starbucks references (and the pages and pages on the decorating!!) and get onto something less superficial. I think her readers would have stuck with her especially if she and her husband really did get a sustainable lifestyle going - her spin on poultry at home, in subdivisions and 'gated communities', was curious for a Yank so I do think there is more to her. But get another editor next time.

Cracking India
Cracking India
by Sidhwa

3.0 out of 5 stars One howler, hopefully it's the only one!, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cracking India (Paperback)
I bought this book in order to have the opportunity to spend more time with the wonderful characters I first encountered in Earth, one of my favourite films, which I couldn't bear to end. A couple of chapters into the book Sidhwa indicates that Ghandi's Salt March occurred shortly after the end of WWII. This is a serious error, which I can't quite believe wasn't picked up by the editor and could have possibly gone in a book written by someone who grew up on the Subcontinent. I am fairly new to this topic (but not so new I wouldn't have picked up on THAT error) so not sure how to view some of the other information here and the historical picture she presents as a whole, although the story remains readable if not as tightly wrought as Mehta's film (Mehta wrote that script). Treat this book with care.

Now And Then
Now And Then
by William Corlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: Now And Then (Paperback)
I hope this book isn't shoved into the 'gay' section of bookstores where people who don't identify with that segment of the market will miss it. So not a 'niche' novel, transcends any sort of specialised category. The only place it belongs is in the 'great literature' section.

Please read it - don't miss out.

The Rough Guide to Britain (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Britain (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Robert Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 6 Aug 2007
Pretty good, a couple of observations though. Restaurant recommendations in London (and I can imagine elsewhere too) REALLY random - with some places it seems like they just stumbled upon them leaving the tube and decided to include them. These, alongside, eyewateringly expensive 'big names' a tourist would struggle to get a reservation for even planning weeks away. I mean, Gordon Ramsay?! A huge swath of possibilities go unnamed, although they are very competitively priced for tourists - Pret, Leon, et al. But they're very likely anti-chain.

On that note, the lefty diatribes whenever they come upon a country house or 'palace' are a bit predictable after a while - and a bit unfair in some cases. Not a fan of Lady Di myself, but the Althorp section was a bit too biased for my taste.