Profile for Ludwig VB > Reviews

Not Found - Haydn: Symphony 49 'La Passione'/Schuber
Not Found - Haydn: Symphony 49 'La Passione'/Schuber
Offered by SourceMediaUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recordings, 3 Feb 2014
The schubert tempi are lightly sprung (unlike some movements in the Beeching or Abbado versions) and the overall effect is very satisfying. I didn't know the Haydn symphony but it is nice enough, and being in the 'sturm und drang' style has some dramatic impact

Bingsale 360 degree Rotatable Universal Car Vehicle Air Vent Cradle Dock Mount Holder for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S4 Mini note 3 HTC One HTC One Max Mini Nokia Lumia 1020 925 Nokia X X+ XL Moto Xphone Google Nexus 5 Sony xperia Z2 M2 LG G2
Offered by BingSale Store

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cradle, 3 Feb 2014
The phone (in my case Galaxy S3 with a heavy case) is held securely, unless you try to adjust the positioning on the vent, in which case the whole thing can easily come away. But if you decide on positioning and leave it be it does it's job well. Only problem is it is very visible and I feel the need to take it off each time I park in case it draws unwelcome attention.

Arrived promptly

Samsung Micro USB Car Charger for Galaxy S3 i9300/Galaxy Ace 2
Samsung Micro USB Car Charger for Galaxy S3 i9300/Galaxy Ace 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, 3 Feb 2014
recharges the phone quickly (even with GPS on) and the coiled wire means it isn't trailing everywhere. Just a shame the cord isn't slightly longer as with the phone secured to the air vent it is being pulled in its mount, but not a problem as long as its well secured. Arrived without delay.

SOOPER Blue Mesh Defender Heavy Duty Protective Hard Full Body Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy i9300 S3 + Screen Protector (Blue Mesh Case)
Offered by Sooper UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid protector, 21 Dec 2013
It was hard work getting the hard plastic back of this case to fit over the phone (I did not try treating it first with a hair dryer as one other reviewer suggested!) but after some fiddling it fitted well, and I haven't as yet had any issues re. the rubber buttons fitting over the buttons on the phone. I have not as yet dropped the phone but the construction of this case gives me a lot of reassurance. The two piece construction makes looks as though the hard back will take the main impact, whilst the rubbery inner layer will hopefully protect the corners and the phone's case. As has been mentioned the case significantly increases the weight of the phone and does bulk it out a bit more but I am happy to suffer this in the hope that it will do it's job if/when the phone is dropped. The only thing that didn't work as well was the screen protector that was thrown in but I had already ordered a Snektz one seperately that did the job.

Snekz Screensafe Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Pack of 2)
Snekz Screensafe Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen protector, 21 Dec 2013
Before trying this screen protector I tried one that came free with a protective case, but I could not get rid of bubbles with the free one. The reviewsfor these Snekz protectors seem positive for good reason, as on applying the protector (a process that took a couple of goes to line it up with the screen) it went on with only a couple of bubbles. I had thoroughly wiped and blown the screen with compressed air before doing this after my first attempt and this helped a lot, also the plastic tool to smooth the protector over the screen is a better size than a credit card. The couple of bubbles that did remain were sorted by me lifting that part of the protector up again and applying some sticky tape to the protector to remove the offending dust particles that were causing the bubbles. Experience from the first time of doing this taught me not to be too fussy but I am delighted with the result, with just a couple of tiny bubbles right on the edge of the screen where they don't show. Would thoroughly recommend this product.

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (DECCA The Originals)
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (DECCA The Originals)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Disc, 17 Aug 2013
The disc starts with the original piano version of this work, masterfully handled by Ashkenazy, one of my favourite pianists, who brings power and mystery to a work that is well worth hearing in it's original format as opposed to the more familiar Ravel orchestrated version.

The opening Promenade theme initially seems a little cold to me, perhaps something to do with the recording set up, but that is quickly forgotten in an excellent digital performance with appropriately introspective moments together with appropriate fire in such passages as Baba Yaga, where Ashkenazy's keyboard skills make the section sound spine tingling and less mannered than other versions I have heard. It would have to be a great performance indeed to better this one.

The second piece is an orchestrated version made by Ashkenazy himself. Whilst I and I suspect most others will still gravitate towards the fine Ravel version this one is worth hearing, though not for me the main draw of the disc. Ashkenazy does not attempt to put a stamp on the work as Ravel did with his superb interpretation, but claims to have tried to get closer to Mussorgsky's original, as such a skilled pianist is well placed to do. The result is a version that effectively uses blocks of orchestral colour very effectively but without some of the fine instrumentation that Ravel concocted, although that's not to say there are some very interesting touches which set it apart from the more familiar version. For me it somehow makes the work seem earthier, more raw. In fact both performances on this disc highlight what an individual and (for it's time) avante garde piece Pictures represents. Highly recommended!

Early Romantic Overtures
Early Romantic Overtures

4.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant accounts of a good mix of overtures, 13 April 2013
The first thing to say is I was impressed by the choices on this CD. Recordings of collections of overtures do not seem as commonplace as they once were, and very often the same pieces are churned out, but this represents a more original choice.

Of the more commonplace overtures, Norrington gets through The Hebrides at a refreshingly quick pace to set it apart from my other versions (in common with other Norrington recordings the performances here tend to be on the brisk side). Despite the smaller forces Norrington acheives a degree of drama and power in the work.

The other works are similarly well played, but I should reveal my hand in that I don't generally favour the authentic, small orchestra approach. To me it is less important to ask how a work would have sounded than, given advances in technology and scale of forces, what would the composer of the time have preferred if given the option, and the authentics haven't convinced me yet on that one.

Given the size of orchestra these pieces do all lose some of their dramatic bite in some places, but not enough to mean this isn't a likeable disc. It contains some rarely heard pieces including Berlioz's excellent Les Francs Juges and Schubert's excellent Rosamunde which has mystifyingly become hard to find on CD in recent years, despite it's frequent (and misguided) use at one point as a finale to the Unfinished Symphony. As with the other performances, it could do with a little more weight for me but then there is excellent detail and it is enough for me to prefer it to the leaden version I have by Celibidache.

Worth a punt if you are not dead-set against period instrument performances and are looking for some of the overtures on offer here.

Sibelius: Pelléas et Mélisande; The Oceanides; Symphony No 7; Tapiola
Sibelius: Pelléas et Mélisande; The Oceanides; Symphony No 7; Tapiola

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Disc, 22 Jan 2013
Anyone open to Sibelius should consider this generous collection. Pelleas and Melisande is very musical, there's a lot more to it than just the famous At the Castle Gate tune from Sky at Night (incidentally this appears to be the performance the BBC used for the theme tune, on the recommendation of Patrick Moore). Beecham's recording of this work is justly renowned, it is just a shame and rather odd that the 'At the Sea' passage was omitted by Beecham, perhaps because of a lack of space on the finished record.

The Oceanides is also great, with the 7th Symphony and Tapiola coming from Sibelius' later period and sounding distinctly more modern, but still well worth a listen.

For a 1955 recording the sound is astonishingly good, if you are looking for these works I would definitely recommend this version.

Enescu/Brahms: Romanian Rhapsody
Enescu/Brahms: Romanian Rhapsody
Offered by rbmbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Enescu, 21 Jan 2013
I bought this for the great version of Enescu's 2nd Romanian Rhapsody which I had previously owned in another format; despite the sound quality not being quite top notch by todays standards the performance is full of character and Dorati is the perfect conductor for this Hungarian Dances are also played with passion, however I could not dismiss shortcomings in the recording so readily in these more familiar works. Tempi is on the brisk side which gives the dances a more authentic air but jarred slightly. Annoyingly the dances are not quite complete and they are not played in order.

It's a shame the Rhapsody No 2 isn't coupled on the same disc as the Rhapsody No 1 and the Lizst Hungarian Rhapsodies by the same conductor, perhaps the disc time would not allow.

In short I am glad I bought this disc, principally for the Enescu.

Sibelius: Finlandia/Karelia
Sibelius: Finlandia/Karelia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great record, 21 Jan 2013
Although I'm not a Sibelius expert, I would wholeheartedly recommend this disc to anyone looking for a collection of his tone poems. In the other versions of Finlandia I own, they come across as concert lollipop performances, here it is performed with full bloodied fervour complete with rasping brass and a relentless pace in the allegros, whilst the 'hymn' sections are treated with passion and no artificial sentimentality. You get the impression that Ashkenazy, who has spent many years in Iceland, really feels an afinity with this Scandinavian music. The Karelia Suite is also well performed, albeit with less brio.

I was not familiar with the other pieces although I'd heard odd moments here and there, I must say on the whole I am very impressed despite the fact a few years ago I would have found some of them too modern in form. The orchestration in Luonnotar for example is beautiful, and while some pieces remind me a little too much of film scores in places (Tapiola for one) there is so much to admire here. On the second disc Pohjola's Daughter and The Swan of Tuonela are my favourites, but both discs are full of compelling music. Unlike some other reviewers I cannot draw a distinction between the quality of conducting between Ashkenazy on disc one or Stein on disc two. Recording quality in both is very high, and is very similar despite disc one being digital and disc two analogue.

For me this disc represented outstanding value and I hope others who are so far only familiar with a few of Sibelius' works (Finlandia, Karelia, or the Sky at Night theme tune) venture like me into exploring further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3