Profile for Mr. D. M. Butcher > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. M. Butcher

Mr. D. M. Butcher (London United Kingdom)

No. 2 Patrick Street
No. 2 Patrick Street
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll let you know in due course, 27 Sep 2009
This review is from: No. 2 Patrick Street (Audio CD)
Go to amazon.com for a review on this album. I've yet to hear it. So far its got the only version of Tom Joad that I've managed to track down on disc

After The Break
After The Break

5.0 out of 5 stars with regard to the above, 8 Jan 2008
This review is from: After The Break (Audio CD)
I try generally not to court too much controversy but on this occasion I'm prepared to stick my neck out. This album is so good, that if there is the occasional weak track it just doesn't matter when you've got songs like 'The pursuit of farmer Michael Hayes'. Honestly you can't underestimate the sheer power of it. Recall the horse chase in 'The legend of sleepy hollow' or the intensity of O'Connor's The star and the sea' and you've got the idea.Other songs of note include The rambling suiler and the Rambling boys of pleasure.
I saw Planxty live a couple of years ago and heard 'Words and music' some time ago but this is the one that gets me dancing.

Drowning By Numbers
Drowning By Numbers

5.0 out of 5 stars privilige, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: Drowning By Numbers (Audio CD)
I find it difficult to believe that no one has taken it upon themselves to review this extraordinary work and consider it a privilige to be the first person invited to do so.
I first became aware of Michael Nyman having been to see Peter Greenaway's Draughtsman Contract for which Nyman also composed the score. Although the film impressed me it was Drowning by Numbers that really moved me,both film and music. The film is excellent in its own right,but it is the music that makes it a masterpeice , and no doubt, some would argue vice versa. Invariably, soundtracks pale into insignificance when listened to without the film they were intended to accompany, not so this one, each track is a belter. It is debateable as to whether it is best to listen to the music on its own or as an accompaniment to the film itself, but this is mere technicality, my advice is do both and often.
Reading the liner notes to the album might be enough to put off all but the most ardent intellectual, but there is no doubting the passion of the man. The insistence of Mozart's 'stunning melody' from the Sinfonia Concertante for violin,viola and orchestra which refuses to go away yet never bores us, reminiscent of Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending, yet if anything more vital. This is music to make the heart both soar and weep at times yet so redemptive and inspiring as to go far beyond sorrow or indulgence. His passion is also transferred to the football terraces as evidenced in his reference to 'the 39 Juventus fans killed in 1985' and as such, he represents a rare marriage between the beautiful game and beautiful art.
I was lucky enough to see him perform this work live some years back. I remember him hugging as many of the band as he could at the end and no doubt he would have worked his way round the audience if he'd had time

Heartbeats Accelerating
Heartbeats Accelerating
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 11.93

4.0 out of 5 stars response to irridium, 5 April 2006
This review is from: Heartbeats Accelerating (Audio CD)
The above review is an excellent comment on the sisters' French Record, not Heartbeat's Accelerating. Anyone interested in this album would no doubt be impressed with the title track and 'I eat dinner'.For classic McGarrigle fare however, the listener should,in my view,be guided in the direction of 'Dancer with Bruised Knees',the aforementioned French Record or the very first album simply titled Kate and Anna McGarrigle