Profile for B. Wise > Reviews

Content by B. Wise

B. Wise "Geldhorn" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2
Stellar Sabatier 12" / 30cm Scalloped Slicer/Carver
Stellar Sabatier 12" / 30cm Scalloped Slicer/Carver
Offered by KNIFE CENTRAL

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Feb. 2016
A fabulous ham / salmon / large joint slicer from Sabatier.

Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C Ultra-Compact Premium External Battery/Portable Charger/Power Bank (6A Output, PowerIQ and VoltageBoost Technology) for Apple MacBook, iPhone, iPad, Samsung & more (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, intelligent power!, 7 Feb. 2016
These days most of us travel with a raft of electronic devices - phones, tablets, laptops - and in my case often more than one of each! Running out of power whilst miles from an outlet can be a real pain and, let's be honest, most modern smartphones won't even get you through a full day on a single charge. If you travel regularly, therefore, some kind of power 'brick' such as this Anker PowerCore+ is essential.

Having used a couple of smaller devices, suitable for topping up a phone on the go, in the past, I was looking for something with a bit more 'oomph', capable of juicing up my Apple MacBook and spotted this unit with a whopping 20,000mAh capacity. It's high capacity USB output will happily power and charge my MacBook (I can't vouch for other laptops) and gives enough juice to recharge an iPad several times or about a dozen full charges for a smartphone.

It is constructed in tasteful but robust matte-black aluminium and its circle of LEDs give you a clear and easy indication of how much juice is left. Confusingly, the USB-C port is only to charge the unit, not for power output, but the twin USB sockets use Anker's PowerIQ circuitry to auto-detect what type of device is connected and provide the correct current to charge your device at its optimum speed.

The only down-sides to bear in mind with a device like this? Due to its huge capacity it isn't small, or light (about 0.5kg). Also, if you do manage to totally deplete it, you will need to give it a full overnight charge (approx. 10 hours at 2 Amps!!) However, if you need to power up small and large items on the go, with PowerIQ throwing out up to 6A at 5V, there is no better 'brick' on the market.

RHA T10i: High fidelity, noise isolating in-ear headphone with remote and microphone
Offered by R H A

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Dynamite, 7 Jan. 2015
OK. I often don't bother to leave reviews and when I do they tend to be fairly short and 'to the point'. However, something tells me that I might not be able to keep this one quite so short - there really is quite a lot (good) to be said about the T10s.

I bought these on a whim, having read about their release. Already owning a pair of RHA's MA750i as well as some Bowers & Wilkins P5, I didn't really need another pair of phones but as I love my MA750s so much I decided to take a gamble and fork out another £150 for these. Now I have them I can honestly say I would have paid £300 for these. Some of the magazine reviews I read said that they are like the MA750 on steroids or a kind of MA750 'plus'. Wrong. Very wrong. Sure, the MA750s are great and I have loved them for a long time but the T10s are not just an improvement; they are in a different league. The soundstage is far wider and more expansive, they sound more neutral - the treble is more refined and rounded and the bass is simply astonishing.

I have just said I would have paid double for these beauties. The last time I spent that much on a pair of IEMs was for a pair of Shure SE530s - the flagship of Shure's range at the time. The 530s had a very similar design and shape to these T10s and sported 'triple drivers' per monitor but I can say for certain that not one of those drivers was a 'model 770.1' - the handmade driver at the heart of the T10, which has to be one of the finest transducers to be found in any IEM today.

Let's start at the bottom (frequency-wise). The bass produced by the T10s is true audiophile reference quality. It goes to depths that the human ear shouldn't even be able to hear! There are a lot of headphones out there (and much cheaper ones at that) which can produce oodles of deep, thumping bass to wobble your eardrums if that's what you're after. However, what the T10s have up their sleeve is masses of control at the low end. Yes, they go very deep (and can go very loud) but the level of control and precision down deep is unusual at this price point. In fact, to hear this kind of refinement you normally expect to have to plug your 'cans' into a good hi-fi or dedicated headphone amplifier. But the T10s seem to manage this whilst plugged into a good smart-phone or tablet, which is no mean feat.

At the mid-range and top end the sound is wide open and packed with detail (subject to good quality source material). The top end is a bit more rounded than the MA750s (which can sound a bit bright on some recordings - particularly when pushed hard). This might be in part due to that driver again where that wonderful low-end really balances things out. I am yet to play with the additional filters included in the box, which are designed to tailor the frequency response to enhance or boost the response at either the top or bottom frequencies but I find the balance to be just right with the reference filters.

As for the other details, all I can say is that everything is very 'RHA'. The quality of engineering from the phones themselves to the beautifully knurled stainless steel / gold headphone jack just oozes 'quality'. The inline mic is very similar to the one on the MA750s and is a high-quality metal and rubber construction. I have found it a very good headset for phone calls etc. but with the T10s I am having far too much fun listening to music to want to actually speak to anyone! All the other usual stuff applies - huge choice of ear-buds, nice carry case, great sound isolation for travelling / commuting etc. etc. but it's the sound that sets these apart.

Incredibly, I do have one minor criticism - and one that is levelled at lots of other manufacturers, not just RHA - although you can still use the mic and centre button as a headset, the inline volume controls only work on Apple devices; tough cookies if you are one of the millions who hasn't bought an iPhone. Still that knocks off one star - bringing it down from 8 to 7 out of 5!! Seriously, if you like to 'listen' to music as opposed to just 'hear' it and can afford £150 treat yourself to some of these. I find it virtually impossible to believe that you'll be disappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2015 9:09 PM GMT

EC Technology® 18000mAh Ultra Slim (12mm thin) Dual-Port Power Bank Aluminum Alloy External Battery Charger for iPhone 6 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Nexus, HTC One, most other Phones and Tablets-Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Masses of power to keep you up and running, 7 Jan. 2015
This was reduced to under £20 when I ordered it from Amazon which is, quite frankly, an absolute bargain!!! It is not small (about A5 size) and definitely not light - it is not something to carry in your pocket. But for work or travel, to keep in your bag the capacity is phenomenal... I have used it to charge my iPad twice from nearly empty and smart-phone several times without needing to charge it. Although it does store a huge amount of power to keep you running for ages, be warned that when it does run down it takes a LONG time to replenish it! I think mine took about 9 - 10 hours to fully recharge. Apart from that I would very highly recommend it. Build quality is very solid too.

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Keyboard, Mouse and Numeric Pad Set - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best - period, 7 Jan. 2015
Top notch. I am a touch typist and have used many keyboards over the years. This is the best - period. Enough said.

Camera Lens Mug/Lens Coffee Mug(Creative cup design is simulation to the Canon EF 24-105mm lens / 1:1 Model Coffee Cup / STAINLESS STEEL INSIDE)
Offered by QINGJINLIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Stabilised caffeine, 7 Jan. 2015
This is an excellent mug for all photography enthusiasts. The L series optics really bring out the fine detail in your coffee and the three-stop image stabiliser means you are less likely to spill any. Good for portait, landscape, cappucino, mocha...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2015 9:41 PM GMT

RHA MA750i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious Value for Money, 16 Feb. 2014
I have had these 'phones for just over a month now and have to say that I am very, VERY happy with them. First impressions are that the build quality is 'out of this world' good for a headphone at this price... in fact, it's damn good for a headphone at three times this price. Everything from the remote / mic to the headphone jack and the IEMs themselves are in exquisitely machined aluminium. They are light and comfortable with a huge selection of different ear-buds to get that perfect fit (although mine were just right as they came out of the box).

Secondly, sound quality. These really are exceptional headphones considering the sub £100 price. I've owned several pairs of headphones over the years. I still prefer my B&W P5s for quality and acoustic presence but they are too large for activities like running or when you just want something you can slip in your pocket. My Shure SE530s have a better frequency response and more low-end power but are not as neutral as the RHAs (and not as good build quality - they are now out of action due to brittle / cracked insulation on the 'phone cables (Shure have quoted me over £100 to repair!!!) - disappointing for a headphone that cost 3 times as much as these RHAs)!! The RHAs are very neutral without exaggerated low or high frequency response (more like my Etymotics). They are also very fast / dynamic and present a broad, expansive sound stage. Sound isolation in noisy environments is also very good provided you get the right ear-buds and a tight seal.

At this price, I cannot recommend these headphones enough. You will be very hard pushed to find anything else as good as these for less than £100. So, why the 4 stars? A long standing feud with headphone manufacturers, I'm afraid... NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS WORLD USES AN iPHONE!!! Sadly, most manufacturers - including these, and my B&W P5s make remotes that are only compatible with Apple devices. Thankfully the middle button still works for answering / ending calls but the volume controls will ONLY work with iPhone, iPod etc. Come on guys. How about thinking about the rest of us!!!?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2015 11:32 AM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful in the wet, 15 Sept. 2012
I bought this scooter to get to the train station in the morning as it is a bit too far to walk and I had been clocking up a fortune in taxi fares! I was looking for a scooter that was suitable for adults (this one is rated to 100kg). The big wheels really make a difference. I have tried my 5 year old daughter's Micro scooter and the small wheels are unforgiving on anything other than very smooth tarmac. The Razor A5's big wheels cope so much better with bumpy pavements and small pot-holes. Overall the scooter is well made an feels like it will last a good while. It is not particularly light, however, and a shoulder strap would have made a welcome accessory. I would also share two words of warning.

1. It is harder work than it looks! I am fairly fit and was expecting to just 'glide' along to the station with minimal effort. Do not let the children you see on them fool you though. I ride it about 2 1/2 miles to the station and it is actually quite a work-out, especially if you are in a hurry - expect to build up a bit of a sweat in warm weather.

2. The first time I used it on damp roads I was terrified to find that the rear brake was as good as useless. It was not raining but it had been and the road was still wet. I was coasting down a (not particularly steep) hill and as I approached a 'T' junction at the bottom I applied the rear brake. Even with my full weight it did almost nothing to slow me down. If there had been a car coming at the junction I would almost certainly have been involved in an accident! Thankfully I wasn't. The brake works fine when it is dry but be very careful if it is not.

Other than that, I would recommend this scooter to any adult looking for an alternative mode of transport (provided you are not self-conscious - I still get some disparaging looks around the City using it in my suit and tie!).

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for fun, 18 Sept. 2010
I bought this set for a snorkelling / diving holiday in the Red Sea. It looked like a good set for the money but unfortunately the "you get what you pay for" moniker rang true. The mask was not a good fit and the snorkel leaked water. As I was on a dive/snorkel specific holiday, the first day I bought a new (much more expensive) mask and snorkel which were brilliant. The fins I thought were OK but by the end of the week even they had started to come apart - the rubber split at the end of the toe area.

So, in summary, this set may seem like good value. If you are looking to buy something for the kids or splashing around, they're probably OK. However, if you're looking for something for a dive or snorkelling holiday I would strongly recommend you spend a little extra.

Dyson DC27 All Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner for Every Floor Type
Dyson DC27 All Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner for Every Floor Type

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing suction, 11 Jun. 2010
I moved into a new apartment where the previous owners obviously didn't even OWN a vacuum cleaner (the carpets were disgusting)! In need of a new cleaner I opted for the Rolls and bought a DC27. Turned out to be a good decision. By the time I had done one lap of the flat it looked like I'd had the place re-carpeted - it sucked up absolutely everything on a single pass (the suction this thing produces is quite outstanding). A quick flick of the switch and it was in 'hard floor mode', ready to tackle the hallway and kitchen.

Although it comes with a couple of its own attachments, I also purchased the soft dusting brush and a couple of other accessories at the same time. The former is great as after I have hoovered I now use that to do all the dusting as well - whilst it doesn't produce that 'just polished' smell, it is SO much faster and easier than working around the home with a duster. In fact, if they bring out an attachment that cleans the bath and shower, this will be the only cleaning tool I need in the house.

So, this fantastically built machine (5-year guarantee) should be top of your shopping list if you're looking for something that really does take the pain out of cleaning and you're not too bothered about paying a few pence more.

Page: 1 | 2