Profile for S. Holland > Reviews

Content by S. Holland

S. Holland "bearcoatpei" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Crooked Step: Zombie in a suitcase
Crooked Step: Zombie in a suitcase
Price: 1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just A Zombie Novel, 28 July 2014
Don't be put off or excited by thinking this is strictly a zombie novel. It's chock full of all sorts of mythical beings. This is a very enjoyable story, but my goodness there is a lot going on between the pages. There's all sorts of unexpected little twists and snippets of plotline revealing themselves as you turn the pages, so you really have to be on the ball to keep up with them. It's written with such a dry sense of humour that you can't help enjoy it, though.

Stay Dead 2: The Dead and The Dying
Stay Dead 2: The Dead and The Dying
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but..., 28 July 2014
I bought this on the strength of Stay Dead 1 which I downloaded when it was free. A fitting sequel with the same tense, tightly crafted plotline and well developed characters. I must admit though that I was deeply disturbed by the same scene as one of the other reviewers. I'm not easily shocked or disgusted by much in fiction or life, but it really stepped over my personal boundaries for gratuitous sexual violence. I felt the book could have done without it and not suffered in any way. Hence the four rather than five stars.

Zombie, MN
Zombie, MN
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Amusing Book, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Zombie, MN (Kindle Edition)
What a light hearted story with an offbeat storyline. I really enjoyed the main character being a rather neurotic pooch. And I swear I know a few people that have had the same treatment as the zombies in this story. A really fun read and refreshing in a genre populated by post apocalyptic doom and weapon wielding. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but sometimes it's nice to have something different.

Turning Grace
Turning Grace
Price: 2.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Teen Zombie Romance, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Turning Grace (Kindle Edition)
I'm a free book addict, so downloaded this when it was gratis. I think it's worth paying for in retrospect and would definitely look forward to a sequel. It's well written with few grammatical errors (tends to spell pores as pours and that's about it). The easily to relate to characters are engaging and the plot is mostly innovative for the genre. I've only knocked one star off because the main male character made me realize how cliched and sexist many modern romances of any genre/age group tend to be. This geeky outsider girl meets perfectly chiselled adonis who every girl in school would give their right arm to be with that suddenly notices her and thenceforth hangs on her every word. That and this particular one is a combination of an easily led doormat and a closet psychopath. Mind you, that could make for a rather interesting plot twist or two if this book is part of a series. And there's plenty more to the story than just the main character's love interest. There's mystery, tragedy and school bully divas getting what they deserve. Definitely a worthwhile read for teenagers and us old fogies who like a light read in the dead of night.

Zombie Warfare: Impact Series - Book 3 of 3 (Zombie Impact)
Zombie Warfare: Impact Series - Book 3 of 3 (Zombie Impact)
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant Series, 14 Jun 2014
It's quite sad to know the author is planning on leaving this series as a trilogy, but it was a gratifying ending point should this really be it. All the main characters, be they heroes or antagonists, got what they deserved given the circumstances. I'm a free zombie book fiend on my kindle and this is one of the very small handful that I've gone on to follow by purchasing the others in the series. This series had a novel (terrible pun!) take on the zombie genre and the characters were really likeable.

Stay Dead
Stay Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed Freebie So Much I Bought The Sequel, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stay Dead (Kindle Edition)
I must admit that my kindle is crammed with free zombie novels. I suffer terrible insomnia to start with, so some apocalyptic horror has become my chosen reading matter in the wee small hours (it will take more than THAT to keep me awake). The novels do tend to be a bit like the good, the bad and the ugly - or the awful, the readable and the must buy the sequel. The latter doesn't happen very often, but I've just got to find out if death really is too good for Ben and he gets what he deserves in undeath.

I really enjoyed this one. Yes, there are some spelling mistakes in there, but I'm no grammar nazi when the storyline and characters keep me engaged. I like the several threads of the story that are intertwined throughout.

Death in a Northern Town
Death in a Northern Town
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll think twice about taking your kids to feed the ducks, that's for sure!, 27 May 2014
The thing that struck me about this book is that it would make such a hilarious TV series or movie. I really like the way it's written as a diary interspersed with little vignette stories that all tie together in the end. It's a witty, well written black comedy with really likeable main characters. There's attention to detail even on the minor characters and it weaves a vivid tapestry of human life when thrown into a terrible situation. One thing that really brings the story to life for me is the author's typical "Northern" attitude of begrudging love for a town you were born in. And being set in the UK there's no firearms to blow zombie heads off from a safe distance - the little boy with the golf club really tickled me and 80s Dave is a legend! I can't wait for the next instalment.

Griddlers Plus
Griddlers Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Addictive!, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Griddlers Plus (App)
What an amazing app for free. There are over a thousand games to complete, plus many of the more advanced grids are made up of several or more individual grids in themselves. Also, it's been updated at least once with more grids. It's such a pressure free and simple game to do (though it does get progressively harder with the larger grids and coloured ones). Great for developing your spatial awareness too.

Dead Lay
Dead Lay
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Disgusting, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dead Lay (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this when it was on offer for free and I was on a downloading bender. I must admit that I didn't find anything particularly sexy about it (thank goodness or I would have been a bit worried about my own psyche). But it was a hysterically funny, irreverent take on the zombie genre - if slightly insulting to ladies of a certain age, hence the 4 stars rather than 5. I was so glad when Heracles got his revenge in the most brilliantly original way, but felt sorry for his eventual fate, which was something worse than death.

How to be a Totally Awesome Zombie (How to be Totally Awesome)
How to be a Totally Awesome Zombie (How to be Totally Awesome)
Price: 1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dear Travis..., 10 Feb 2014
...I hope you can help me with my dilemma. I have two beloved dwarf lop rabbits who are neutered so no use to breed from as per your recommendations. You discuss what use of a couple of predator species would be, but what are your thoughts on turning a prey species? Should I make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of my clan and use them as a snack for what will be my two totally awesome zombie dogs? Or should I turn my two little pleasingly plump valued family members? I'm thinking of the potential edge they may provide. After all who is going to expect zombunnies? They would be an excellent tool for recruiting humans, being disarmingly cute and at ankle height and all. Live domesticated rabbits are sociable critters who respond well to basic training and I would expect the same from them once undead. I await your reply with interest".

As you can probably tell, I got quite a laugh out of this totally awesome book. I downloaded it when it was free, but it's totally worth the small price tag it's at now as it is awesomely funny. Hey, and if the worst does happen, I'm now prepared to be on the winning side of any forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5