Profile for Rainbird > Reviews

Rainbird (Dublin)

Dis
Dis

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it., 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dis (Audio CD)
I don't get it. Why isn't this a hit? I think it's because it came from Johann Johannsson, an artist unknown for catchy tunes. I'm a fan of Johann Johannsson myself, and I was so surprised to hear this album. It's like nothing he's done before, or, more's the pity, since. Has a retro feel to it, but still manages much originality and freshness in production. Kinda poppy, kinda jazzy, kinda rocky, kinda electronica-y, kinda eighties synth, and kinda very special. Get yourself a copy, pronto.

Was I The Wave?
Was I The Wave?
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars unique and beguiling - a must have., 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Was I The Wave? (Audio CD)
I don't know what it is about this guy but I cannot stop listening to his music. He is a genius. His debut, Five Roses, is very different - more guitar led. This follow up goes all synthy and is more mellow. But it is another classic. I must admit I was worried when I first put it on but after a while I started to get it. Genuinely one of my favourite albums ever. You should buy it. And if you don't, buy the other one instead!

Our Story Begins: New and Selected Stories
Our Story Begins: New and Selected Stories
by Tobias Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars a rare talent, 7 May 2011
Ok so it might not be for the under 25 market. But anyone with a bit life experience behind them could not go wrong with this. His prose is pure quality, not word too much or too little, almost perfect and quite hypnotic at times. A total joy to read. And he makes it look so easy. He is literature's Federer!

The Tenth Insight
The Tenth Insight
by Carol Adrienne

2.0 out of 5 stars Here's another insight.., 6 May 2011
This review is from: The Tenth Insight (Paperback)
Ok I admit I enjoyed The Celestine Prophecy, very uplifting and a half decent story, albeit with scoolboy level prose. But I have to say this sequel is just milking it - clearly created to prolong a money-spinning franchise that must have his publisher literally laughing out loud. It really is a load of old nonsense. I got half way through it and just had to stop as I genuinely started to lose my self respect. What a chancer!

Total Life Forever
Total Life Forever

4.0 out of 5 stars It's less studenty!, 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Total Life Forever (Audio CD)
Less punchy than their début - a bit more chilled and melodic though. There's nothing like the mighty Cassius on here but overall the album is a more complete package that shows a band maturing nicely - while still maintaining, and in my opinion improving, that distinctly Foaly(sic) sound. I've listened to it 3 times only so far but it's improving with each listen - and I loved it the first time... 8.5/10

Five Roses
Five Roses
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Miracle Fortress - More of the same please, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Five Roses (Audio CD)
The hairs on the back of my neck are huge fans of this little beauty. Some reviewers are comparing this to the Beach Boys and Animal Collective - and I can see why. I own records by all three but would put Miracle Fortress streets ahead of both. Far better tunes, superior guitar work and no harmonies for the sake of harmonies. I cannot for the life of me understand why these guys aren't more popular. Maybe people were put off by the camp cover art! Great record - buy it in time for sunny summer drives down the country - magic stuff.

Words Of Wisdom & Hope [VINYL]
Words Of Wisdom & Hope [VINYL]
Offered by actionrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, Melodic and Beautiful Record, 6 April 2010
I had never heard of Jad Fair before but as Teenage Fanclub were involved I was always going to buy this. It is very different to a typical TF record. And in many ways it's better and it's got a sound all it's own. Mr Fair is hopelessly romantic and the theme running through is there on pretty much every song, i.e. he is in love, big time. Lucky him I say - although I suspect it could be unrequited. If you like catchy tunes, whimsical but smart lyrics, and accomplished musicianship, then you really should buy this record. I'm usually very slow to give a full five stars but there isn't a weak track on here and there are some absolute classic tunes too. Still one of my favourite ever LP's. Hope you like it too...

Championship Manager 4
Championship Manager 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Patience of a saint...., 2 Jun. 2003
...yes that's what you need to cope with the tedium that is this new and "improved" version of a truly fantastic original.
I expected there to be fewer if any little annoyances that were on the last few versions, but there actually a lot more. I thought it would be more user-friendly and easier to navigate, but incredibly it's worse than ever. But the most important problem is the speed with which it moves from screen to screen. It is infuriatingly slow. So slow that I simply can't play it. This is coming from a seasoned addict. I hate most PC games but I loved, and lived, this game. I do have one positive thing to say about the new version - well my girlfriend does - good to be back in the real world! - Now, would anyone like to buy it from me?

Discovery
Discovery

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Scooter., 6 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Discovery (Audio CD)
Deadly, Bleedin' deadly. Toe tappin', finger lickin', hip swingin', slam dunkin' funkin'. I thought Homework was excellent and would have given that 5 stars. But this is twice as good - so a note to Mr and Mrs Amazon: we need more stars!!! Turn it it up baby, they can't hear it.