Profile for Tricky_Dicky > Reviews

Tricky_Dicky "tricky_dicky85"

+4626-COMFORTZONE
+4626-COMFORTZONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: +4626-COMFORTZONE (Audio CD)
I came across Beardfish accidentally, not being a prog aficionado, and found this album reviewed by Prog magazine. Having listened to samples of the songs, I was fairly interested so took a risk and bought the album. This is so different to anything I've ever heard, at once accessible but with such a depth that I'm sure will reward further listens.

There is such masterful restraint on this album at times, which is difficult to describe but is beautiful to listen to. This is an album and band where you can hear every instrument, and they are all masterfully played. There is such a tightness within the group that is rare to find, and puts me in mind if bands like Rush. Each musician is acutely aware of what the other is doing, and none seeks to hog the limelight but simple adds their part to a beautiful sonic landscape.

That being said, the bass on this album is amazing, and underpins everything else. Frequently heroic, carrying the melody in a thumpy tone, and at other times takes more of a backseat but no less effective.

This album is funky, jazzy, rocky, and everything in between. If you have a passing interest in music of any kind you need to check this out. 'Prog' is a bit of a scary term, and is a bit off putting, bringing to mind meandering, indulgent and outdated music. But if this album is 'prog' then my definition inferred from it is simply music that is complex and ambitious whilst being immediately listenable, head-nodding when it's not thoughtful, delicate when it's not powerful, and demonstrative of incredibly well thought out music from a band that play so well together it's unholy.

Do yourself a favour and check this out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2016 5:30 PM GMT

Hydra [Double CD + Media Book (100 page booklet)]
Hydra [Double CD + Media Book (100 page booklet)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout Album, 4 April 2014
I have never disliked a WT album but Hydra is leaps ahead of The Unforgiving in content and quality. Yes, it is quite removed from the symphonic Mother Earth and the epic Silent Force, but shows that the band are able to push new boundaries rather than resting on their laurels. I was admittedly dubious about the number of duets when I heard about them, but this adds to the variety of the album and do not detract from its overall impact.

Highlights for me are Dangerous, Dog Days and Covered By Roses, but I don't feel that there are any weak songs that I would happily skip over, unlike The Unforgiving.

The second disc is a bit to be desired, filled mostly with what appear to be demos of the songs, whilst interesting the fade ins and outs make them difficult to listen to. The cover of Sometime Sadness is outstanding, and gets played over and over.

Overall, I would highly recommend this to die hard and new fans alike. There will be something for everyone here. This is a fresh and well produced album.

The World of Achaemenid Persia: The Diversity of Ancient Iran
The World of Achaemenid Persia: The Diversity of Ancient Iran
by John Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars Instantly accessible academia, 8 Sept. 2011
This has got to be one of the most beautiful books I own, and it certainly has pride of place on my bookshelf.

In a nutshell this tome collects many of the latest research directions for the Achaemenid period of ancient Persia, covering everything from history, religion and architecture to coins, women and archaeology, from the leading academics in the field today. As an enthusiast of the subject (and now embarking on an MA in this topic) I have found the short yet densely packed papers in this volume invaluable for ascertaining what the current thoughts and directions are in this field.

Though I have not finished the book yet, I can honestly say that the papers I have read thus far have interested me immensely - indeed I wish I could read a whole book on each of them. At times the topics can be very complex so background reading is essential, but this excellent book provides a springboard from which one may pursue a more focused investigation of the period and for this it is invaluable.

This book comes highly recommended for academics and armchair enthusiasts alike, however I would add that a previous knowledge of Achaemenid studies/history would be a prerequisite before being able to fully enjoy the material here.

Holy Diver
Holy Diver
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Rainbow, which is saying a lot., 26 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Holy Diver (Audio CD)
I really love this album. Ronnie James Dio is a pure genius. If anything, his time in Rainbow was a restricting influence on his creativity. I thought this band wouldn't be any good because Ritchie Blackmore was absent, but I was incredibly wrong. Vivian Campbell is brilliant on this album, which I beleive to be Dio's most creative and consistent. Chugging riffs, blistering solos, this guy can do it all. He gives a real edge to the music, which is brilliant.
Ronnie's voice is simply amaing: rough, powerful, and melodic. It is simply blissful to listen to him sing. He is my favourite vocalist of all time. He adds a real character to the music. Its hard to describe, just listen to the album and you'll see.
Each track is superb, but my favourites are "Gypsy", "Straight through the heart" and "Rainbow in the Dark".
A superb album from a superb band. Your cd collection is crying out for this. GET IT!!!! Then get "Dream Evil" and "Last in Line".