Profile for MFC > Reviews

Content by MFC

MFC "M Cox" (United kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 - Satellite Telephone
Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 - Satellite Telephone
Offered by Global Telesat Communications

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone with incredible standby time of 160 hrs and acceptable usage costs., 27 Mar. 2015
I bought one of these for my Daughter to take on a round the world trip with her. I was originally considering a DeLorme Reach SE but was persuaded that this was a better option. I actually bought mine through Charles at Ashbury Satellite communications for a very similar price here.
I am very happy with the purchase, I can now talk to her rather than merely receiving texts and the overall cost taking in to account airtime etc is not much more.
The phone is very Robust and is water and dust proof to IP65 ruggedness (so can withstand water jets.) It also has an emergency assistance button, like the much more expensive Iridium 9575 Extreme which costs over £300 more. This can be programmed to alert GEOS for search and rescue and medivac purposes, and if you have a Postpaid device this monitoring is free, much like the Iridium phone where it is preprogrammed.
This phone also has a tracking button on the side which can be programmed to leave a breadcrumb type trail and alert people of your current GPS location. The benefits of this phone is the standby time which is quoted as unto 160 hours and 8 hours talk time whilst the Iridium is quoted at 30 hrs standby and 4hrs talk time. I have purchased extra search and rescue and medivac from GEOS at the cost of $24.95 and $120.95 respectively, which seems remarkable value.
The phone works well, obviously Inmarsat doesn't work at the Poles because it is reliant on geostationary satellites above the equator. Having said that I managed to get the phone to work indoors be it upstairs in a bedroom and with optimal conditions. Once you have acquired a satellite which is generally very quickly (less than 45 secs) the call tends to be stable and doesn't drop, the Iridium network relies on 66 low earth orbiting satellites orbiting over the poles, so whilst you get true global coverage there can be issues in the handover from one satellite to another.
This phone benefits from an inbuilt compass that makes finding the satellites easier as it'll display a picture and advise you where to point the aerial, this and quicker satellite acquisition are the main benefits over the iSatphone Pro which is Inmarsat's older model which I have not actually had a chance to use, another advantage over the older model is that this phone can receive alerts when the aerial is stowed the older iSat Phone Pro has to have the aerial deployed to receive alerts.
Running costs appear to be less than an Iridium and I have opted for a prepaid SIM card these are time limited so only last a specific length of time, having said that if you purchase a top up before the expiry date any existing credit is rolled in to the new expiry date. If you fail to do this you lose the remaining credit. They come in 30, 90, 180, and 365 day packages starting at about £18 for 25 units for 30 days and going up to around £698 for 1000 units for 365 days. a one minute call is 1.3 units and a text or email is around 0.5 of a unit. I purchased an initial 180 day plan with 100 units and topped it up with another plan before the period expired and carried over my credit.
All in all I am very happy with my buy and feel reassured that should my daughter need assistance in an emergency it is only a buttons press away. The phone is much better than the old Globalstar Ericsson which I had previously. I certainly recommend the phone and Ashbury SatCom who provide mine.

GoPole Bobber Floating Hand Grip for GoPro HERO Cameras
GoPole Bobber Floating Hand Grip for GoPro HERO Cameras
Offered by Dennis Winter leven ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bouyancy, 25 Oct. 2013
This is a useful add on if you are going in the water. I have an additional battery back and it was able to provide buoyancy for the battery and the camera if this is attached. Recommended.

Leisure Battery 12v-110Ah Numax XV31MF
Leisure Battery 12v-110Ah Numax XV31MF
Offered by Powerbat UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery great price., 25 Oct. 2013
Arrived the next day and is perfect, I purchased this as I subsequently bought a caravan mover. It provides enough energy for the mover and allows probably 30-40 minutes use. It has never discharged completely or let me down so far.

BLACK INVISIBLE CONTROL IR EXTENDER KIT
BLACK INVISIBLE CONTROL IR EXTENDER KIT
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well in side board. Comes with mains adapter, 25 Oct. 2013
I have used this to put all the AV add on equipment in a sideboard behind a solid wood door. The item is discrete and I am using it with an Apple TV Sky HD Plus 1TB box Samsung Blue ray and Sony surround sound amplifier. It came with a mains adapter which I was not expecting but I have put the required 4 AA batteries in as well. The main problem fitting these is finding where the IR eye is on the equipment. The way I found mine was to hold a very bright small LED torch flush against the plastic housing of the window where the IR receptors are hidden. This allowed me to identify the "eye" (a tiny small square Item with a blob of glass on it;s face and approximately 3-4mm across, and place the repeater accurately. This didn't work as well on the Apple TV as the window is almost opaque. For the apple TV I went to the apple website and looked at the picture to see where the IR receptor was, and placed it that way. of all the devices the apple works the least well and I suspect their diagram is not as accurate as it may be. The other items are perfect and work well with their individual remotes.

Ten Cate's Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function, 8e
Ten Cate's Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function, 8e
by Antonio Nanci PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter's Text book, 25 Oct. 2013
This was recommended by my daughter's lecturers for her second year Dentistry course at University, all the copies in the library were out on loan. My daughter asked me to buy it for her as I had Amazon Prime. It was ordered late in the afternoon and arrived before lunch the next day. She is very happy her lecturers highly rate this book.

Long Life Lamp Company B22 10 Watt LED Light Bulb 830 Lumens Very Bright Equivalent to 75 Watt Incandescent Replacement, Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Very bright., 25 Oct. 2013
Quite a large bulb but in practice is very bright and comes on instantly unlike GFL bulbs that take a while to war up. Long life so should last 20 years or more.

Liroyal 3 Watt LED Ceramic Bulb E27 Spotlight Warm white Replace 30W Incandescent Bulb Bulb Lamp Wall Lights
Offered by Liroyal

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright Light, 25 Oct. 2013
Compact and bright, an excellent replacement for your GFL bulbs when they fail. I have bought these on the principal I will not have to replace them again as they have a 20 year life.

Camera Control for GoPro Hero
Camera Control for GoPro Hero

2.0 out of 5 stars The GoPro software is now equivalent, 25 Oct. 2013
The GoPro software is now equivalent and I really was unable to get this to work with my Hero 3 camera and because the GoPro free App has now been upgraded I didn't bother pursuing it. At the time you had to download some additional firmware to the SD card. I found this a faff and didn't bother.

Chrome Plated Folding Dish Drainer Small
Chrome Plated Folding Dish Drainer Small
Offered by SelectiveGoods

4.0 out of 5 stars Prompt arrival, 25 Oct. 2013
Arrived well packaged. despite this one foot was slightly bent which was easily rectified with a little pressure on the foot. Bought for use in a caravan compact and convenient

LE 10W LED Bulbs, Equal to Brightnest 60W Incandescent Bulb, Samsung LED, 810lm, Warm White
Offered by Neon Mart

4.0 out of 5 stars Very bright !, 25 Oct. 2013
I purchased this for using on a landing. I was a little worried at 75W equivalent it would not be bright enough. When it arrived it was very bright! I thought it was much closer to 100w or more. It was so bright my wife asked if we could get a dimmer one. The bulb by the way is a little larger than the usual incandescent bulb. but providing you have space in the fitting this should not be a problem.

Page: 1 | 2