Profile for Phonetique > Reviews

Content by Phonetique

Phonetique (London, UK)

Puccini: Tosca [Royal Opera House, 2011] - Gheorghiu, Kaufmann, Terfel [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Angela Gheorghiu/Antonio Pappano
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Production, 7 Jun 2013
I was lucky enough to have seen this production at the Royal Opera with Gheorghiu and Terfel, it was stunning. But what you can't fully get from a live performance, is seeing the expressions on Terfel's face, he is a remarkable actor as well as a wonderful singer. Jonas Kauffman I find is a bit of an acquired taste but it is still a great performance of a masterpiece of opera.

Blackadder Goes Forth (Remastered) [DVD] [1989]
Blackadder Goes Forth (Remastered) [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 5.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy, 7 Jun 2013
I had forgotten just how great this is, having bought the other Blackadder DVD's I missed this one out, glad I got it now!

Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels
Price: 9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angels, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
With this album Rush have managed to re-visit their older styles and sounds without sounding "old and dated". There are some great songs and as expected some great playing.

Geddy Lee's bass sound is awesome, the last few of their more recent albums I found his sound was getting very toppy, but the sound of his bass on some of the tracks on Clockwork Angels really take me back to the early Rush sound, but it still sounds new at the same time!

Longtime Rush fans will love this album I'm sure, I have been into Rush since 1981, and this is my favourite of their albums of the 00's.

Dunlop Way Huge Pork Loin Soft Clip Injection Overdrive Pedal
Dunlop Way Huge Pork Loin Soft Clip Injection Overdrive Pedal
Offered by Fair Deal Music
Price: 135.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pork Loin, 20 Nov 2012
I bought this pedal after reading lots of positive reviews about it on the web. And the reviews were right. I am using this for bass and I was looking for an "always on" overdrive pedal just to give my sound a bit of grit and bite, and just other reviewers said, this pedal can be used to add a very subtle amount of tubey sounding overdrive, or you can turn up the drive to get a really overdriven sound but it never goes into fizzy buzz-saw kind of distortions that so many pedals do.

Another great advantage of this pedal is the internal trim pots that can be used to further tailor the sound. I am really enjoying using it so far, and the price I paid was a good 30 odd cheaper than a lot of other online dealers I looked at.

Tavares - The Greatest Hits
Tavares - The Greatest Hits
Price: 5.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 2 Dec 2008
A great collection of timeless evergreen classics, from the days when singers relied on singing ability and not studio technology to sound good!

I love all the tracks on here, but was really disappointed to find that what is arguably Tavares best known song, "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" is not included. Well at least the original isn't included, what is offered in its place is perhaps one of the most dreadful, tacky 80's re-mixes I have heard. It sounded like Stock, Aitken and Waterman's collective mothers had been let loose in the studio!!!

I would love to know who makes the decision to include this kind of garbage on an otherwise great collection. Re-mixes are usually added to albums as bonus tracks, not replacements for the original. I still love the rest of the music though, but shame on EMI Gold for this travesty of taste!!!

My Secret Passion (The Arias)
My Secret Passion (The Arias)
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal!, 22 July 2007
This is absolutely revolting, there should be a law against this sort of thing. Why on Earth anyone would want to listen to a "singer" like Michael Bolton is beyond me, each to their own, but to hear him slaughtering these arias is awful. He should have kept his "Secret Passion" exactly that - secret.

Maybe we can look forward to an album of Placido Domingo singing the hits Michael Bolton..?!