Profile for D. M. Harrington > Reviews

Content by D. M. Harrington

D. M. Harrington "Michael Harrington, Retired Chef" (Peacehaven, Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Spies In The Sky: The Secret Battle for Aerial Intelligence during World War II
Spies In The Sky: The Secret Battle for Aerial Intelligence during World War II

4.0 out of 5 stars Spies in the Sky, 16 April 2014
I haven't finished it yet, but it is gripping stuff so far!!! I will re-review it as soon as I get to the end!

69 for 1
69 for 1
by Alan Coren

5.0 out of 5 stars Coren was a Master in many ways., 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 69 for 1 (Paperback)
I confess I nearly wet myself reading Coren's books - all of them, and 69 for 1 is no exception! I had real pain and tears laughing at this man's sense of humour and ability to convey it to the reader.

Bert Weedon's Play in a Day: Guide to Modern Guitar Playing (Guitar)
Bert Weedon's Play in a Day: Guide to Modern Guitar Playing (Guitar)
by Bert Weedon

3.0 out of 5 stars You won't play much in a day - maybe Three Blind Mice!!, 12 Dec. 2013
If you think you will really be able to play this tricky instrument in so short a time you must realise that for Bert's statement to be true you must accept some really elementary 'music.' Also, I think it would have been better if he had not tried to teach you to read 'music,' which is more than half the battle. Good luck though, you may do it!!

Ballymaloe Cookery Course
Ballymaloe Cookery Course
by Darina Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 12 Dec. 2013
I have visited Ballymaloe as a customer and partaken of the excellence of their menus. This course was purchased in order to reproduce some of the magic my wife and I experienced in this wonderful Irish setting. However good a cook you may be you will for sure learn many new techniques from buying this professional cookery book.

You Can Teach Yourself Dobro (Mbgu)
You Can Teach Yourself Dobro (Mbgu)
by Janet Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh no you can't!!!, 12 Dec. 2013
Janet does a very good job of showing you how to play this tricky, but lovely instrument. Sadly, although a pianist of sorts, I have found difficulty in making the darn thing do what I want it to. Let me say, though, that if you don't have three thumbs and a piece of wood on each hand you will almost certainly learn to play the Dobro - the slide guitar, under Janet's tutelage!

The Secret Ministry of Ag. & Fish: My Life in Churchill's School for Spies
The Secret Ministry of Ag. & Fish: My Life in Churchill's School for Spies
by Noreen Riols

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to put this story down once you have started!, 12 Dec. 2013
Superbly written and full of humour amongst the horrors of the 2nd World War, Noreen, still a very attractive lady in her later life, has retained a sense of humour while relating some of the most terrible things which happened to her friends and confederates in SOE. I was a lad - only 11 when the war was won by our side - and I was, of course, ignorant of the wonderful bravery of so many of our 'secret people'. I am horrified by the revelations of this book, but, in contrast, find it rivetting reading and very difficult to put down. Although far too late, I bow my head to the memory of those unbelievably brave people Noreen tells us about. Do get your copy - you will be amazed and yet you will laugh our head off at some of the descriptions this lady gives us of her friends in SOE.

Gibsons Downton Abbey Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Gibsons Downton Abbey Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my wife., 12 Dec. 2013
D A is one of my wife's favourite programmes. She is brilliant at Jigsaws (I am hopeless) - she will love it at Christmas for sure!

The Little Black Book Of Rock Hits Lyrics & Chords Sheet Music
The Little Black Book Of Rock Hits Lyrics & Chords Sheet Music

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use., 12 Dec. 2013
Difficult to use, impossible to play from the book, it is far too small. Most of the tunes are unknown to me!

Glide
Glide

5.0 out of 5 stars JD is Master of the Dobro!, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Glide (MP3 Download)
Jerry makes playing the slide guitar look and sound easy - I can tell you, it is NOT! Glide is one of his best pieces and there are many more on Transatlantic Sessions - he makes this beautiful instrument stand up and sing!!! I wish I could:-(( but I'm trying - very!!

Bradley Wiggins: My Time: An Autobiography
Bradley Wiggins: My Time: An Autobiography
by Bradley Wiggins

5.0 out of 5 stars On your bike Bradley!!, 7 Feb. 2013
Bradley is not only an unbeatable racing cyclist, he is a good writer too. This book is most captivating and descriptive of the pain and perseverance required to be a World Beater, which he undoubtedly is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3