Profile for P. Kelly > Reviews

P. Kelly (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dark Side Of The Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition [VINYL]
Dark Side Of The Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of The Moon 30th Anniversary Edition Vinyl (2003), 5 April 2010
I still have my 1973 original vinyl copy, which in parts is now showing it's age. A recent clean on a VPI record cleaning machine has restored some much-needed life back into the album. I purchased this 30th Edition hoping with heavyweight virgin vinyl, it would be a significant improvement on my original album.

The cover of this 30th Anniversary Edition is much better with the cardboard being thicker and the hinge on the gatefold being significantly stronger. It contains the original posters plus an additional new one. The record sleeve is excellent being paper with an additional plastic vented inner sleeve, which makes record removal very painless.

The vinyl weight of the 30th Edition is 186g vs 134g for the original, which for back in the 70s was a reasonable weight. The sound of the newer release in my view is more compressed vs the original. It is very noticeable on the tracks `Time' and `Money', which lack the dynamic range and drive of the original. The run off on side 1 of the reissue at the end of the record is larger vs the original confirming the observation that the grooves are narrower producing reduced volume. To get the same volume vs the original it needs to go up a notch on the amp.

Ok the music is still brilliant but it is very disappointing that with the technology available in the 2000s vs the 70s and the cost of this heavy weight vinyl that the reissue and original are not at least the same quality.

In conclusion, I am very disappointed with the sound quality of this 30th Anniversary re-issue vs my original album. It lacks the dynamic range and punch of the 1973 classic pressing. My advice is try and find a second-hand 1973 vinyl copy in good condition.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2011 11:48 PM BST

Nursery Cryme (2008 Digital Remaster)
Nursery Cryme (2008 Digital Remaster)

4.0 out of 5 stars Genesis: Nursery Cryme Re-mastered CD & Vinyl (2008), 5 April 2010
I have always considered this album a much more mature sound moving on from Trespass. On release back in 1971 it was a very progressive/innovative piece of work. I still have the original vinyl, which is not brilliant in production/ engineering quality for an album of this era. I gave up on the new UK vinyl re-mastered box set due to poor pressing quality but I now have the USA Atlantic/Rhino set, which I am happy with. The Nursery Cryme re-mastered vinyl is in my view better than my original (clearer, more detail and the bass/percussion is a lot more pronounced in the mix).

I find the re-mastered CD stereo mixes are much better than the previously released `Definitive Re-master' CD. It is much clearer; with the sound fuller, pushing out of the speakers a much more improved sonic mix. The re-mastered CD is overall better in cost/performance balance vs the re-master vinyl being much cheaper in price. The vinyl to date is only available in a very expensive box set. However, in my view the re-mastered vinyl gives the best sound quality.

The album was made to give a very Victorian feel in the music, lyric composition and the illustrations on the front and insert cover. The addition of the new band members also gave it a very different song and musical composition vs Trespass. In my view it contains three all time classic Genesis songs (Musical Box, The Return of the Giant Hogweed and Fountain of Salmacis). The Fountain of Salmaics for me like `The Knife' on Trespass is the song on the album that gets the best sonic face-lift on both CD and vinyl re-mastered formats vs earlier releases. The mellotron and bass introduction is much more intense and gives a massive flow of music through the speakers. Percussion and bass is also throughout the track much more detailed in the mix.

The other tracks on the album: For Absent Friends (Phil Collins first solo vocal outing), Steven Stones, Harold the Barrel and Harlequin I think are fine songs. However, overall I do not think this album has the same level of consistency compared to the next three studio albums.

In conclusion, I recommend this mastered CD it is good quality and is an improvement on the previously released Definitive Re-master CD. The Nursery Cryme album was an important part of the development of the Genesis sound and contains three classic tracks, which for many years were part of their live shows.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: Genesis Re-mastered CD and Vinyl (2008), 30 Mar. 2010
I was very fortunate to have seen the band on the UK Lamb tour back in 1975 with two nights at the Palace Theatre in Manchester. Absolutely brilliant and I can still remember the biggest impact visually on the first night was the identical figure of Peter Gabriel dressed as Rael and an identical dummy on the opposite sides of the stage at the start of the track, IT. Then it was a major stage stunt. It was impossible for a few seconds to understand what was happening with explosions and strobe lights but by today's on-stage graphic techniques probably very tame.

I have the original vinyl and the first CD released from 1985 (in my view this is a very poor recording). I also purchased the re-mastered UK vinyl box set but due to poor pressing of some of the other albums I gave up. Recently I managed to get a copy of the Atlantic/Rhino USA vinyl box set. Now I finally have a full vinyl re-mastered set that I am happy with. The Lamb re-mastered vinyl is excellent. In my view it lacks the higher frequency range in places vs the original but the bass/percussion is much cleaner and more pronounced in the mix. It gives a softer, less harsh sound.

Although in my view this album was the best recorded/produced of the albums from 1970, it was never one you could use to highlight the sound quality of your Hi-Fi system like for instance the Pink Floyd albums. For me with Genesis this never happened until ABACAB was released when Hugh Padgham joined the fold.

So to the re-mastered CD stereo mix, I find it excellent. Like all the others 2008 re-mastered CDs it has a different sound mix vs the original vinyls. I find it has what I like in a good CD: clear, clean, sound low background noise and the music fills the speakers. I will always prefer the vinyl vs CD sound but I have absolutely no issue listening to this re-mastered CD and enjoying it. The quality of the music is still first class and there are no major derivations that make the songs sound that different. It is still a 70s classic album and for me the best Genesis album released.

I do not believe this is an easy album to take on board as a first introduction to Genesis. All the previous albums in my view are more accessible on a first listen. I was exposed to this album in the full historical sequence of the first five albums so it was a natural follow on and a very high point of following the band in the early to mid 70s. I still find the story difficult to fully understand and clearly it can be taken many ways. The combination of music, lyrics and vocal performance make the album outstanding and there is so much to extract from it on each listen.

So what's good on this album: in my view everything from start to finish, but my favourites even after 36 years are still:

The Cage, I love the build-up and structure of this track. The vocals are great, delivered with real feeling.
Back In NY City, a very different sounding Genesis track with an aggressive, gritty feel.
Fly on a Windshield: Like the vocals at the start followed by the heavy musical sequence, which vibrates around the room.
Hairless Heart/Counting Out Time: A beautiful instrumental perfectly leading into a very catchy, commercial sounding track.
Carpet Crawlers: An excellent smoothing interchange of vocals with keyboards and later percussion:
Etc, etc

Like all the other Genesis re-mastered CDs, it is disappointing not to have any out-takes/unreleased materials included. I assume there must be is a good reason for this.

In conclusion, I recommend this re-mastered CD. It may not be as the as the original album was made 36 years ago but in my opinion it does not take anything away from a classic album. If you want to get into the Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis for the first time I would start with the other re-mastered CDs in sequence (Trespass to The Lamb). They are all excellent but `The Lamb' needs a little more patience to get into. Once you are in, you will never get out of `The Cage'.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 11:52 PM BST

Trespass (2007 Digital Remaster)
Trespass (2007 Digital Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Trespass Genesis Re-mastered CD, 19 Feb. 2010
` I Once Remember Echoes of My Youth'

Initially I purchased the Vinyl Re-mastered version box set but gave it up as a bad job due to the Foxtrot and Selling England LPs being extremely poor pressings (surface noise, pops, clicks etc). However, the re-mastered vinyl version of Trespass was excellent in sound quality. Not sure why they did not sell the vinyl versions separately as with the CDs. I have the original 1970 vinyl version, which is now suffering from excessive playing.

I have been listening to this album since the early 70s and still believe these songs are very under-rated. The issue is that collectively the next four studio albums were stronger and live sets contained over this period more classics from these albums (with exception of the Knife). Even for me as a vinyl lover the stereo mixes on this re-mastered CD are excellent. They are crystal clear, fill the speakers with detailed sound and the stereo separation is interesting because it very different to the original vinyl with addition sounds added. Totally the opposite to the very poor quality release of the 1994 Definitive Edition Re-master which unfortunately I have been listening to prior to this release.

To me this album is very easy listening, beautiful melodies and interweaving of acoustic guitars with organ. The vocals are much softer than later albums. Most of these songs the band were playing and developing on the road before recording and I think you can hear this (being at ease) to some degree on the album. There is no other group that sounds like this early Genesis. The band admits during the interviews on the box set version that they took their musical influences at this time from groups such as Fairport Convention and Family.

I like all the seven songs but my personal favourites are ` White Mountain', `Stagnation (changes direction musically constantly)' and of course the master-piece `The Knife'. This to me has been `beefed up' sonically on these new CD and vinyl releases more than any other track vs the original recording.

Clearly musical tastes and memories are different but to me this early Genesis album is still as enjoyable now as back in the early 70s and this remastered CD gives it a new, fresh sonic, face-lift. If you are an existing Genesis fan and want to remove bad memories of the Definitive Remaster or are new to the Peter Gabiel fronted band then I strongly recommend this CD re-issue.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2015 7:06 PM BST

Bad Company (180 Gram LP) [VINYL]
Bad Company (180 Gram LP) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad Company, Bad Company Vinyl, 2010., 10 Feb. 2010
Remember buying the original vinyl LP back in 1974 from Asda on Nixon Street in Rochdale just before leaving school. It was an eagerly awaited release at the time after Free finally disbanded in 1973. It certainly did not disappoint then and neither does this re-release as part of the back to black vinyl collection.

The sound quality is excellent and makes up for having to live with the 1994 CD release for all these years. Pressed on 180g vinyl (this one weighed in at 182g) on the very colourful, Swan Song label. Sound is clear, well balanced and keeps the listener's attention throughout. Four tracks stand out on this album for me: Can't Get Enough, Rock Steady, Bad Company and not everyone's favourite Seagull. Seagull being the last tack with just the vocals and acoustic guitars is a real test of the quality of the pressing and for the horrors of clicks, particularly close to the record run-off. But in this case luck is with me, a `clickless' ending: perfect. One slight complaint is the record was housed in a cheap, thin paper sieve. Why the record company cannot spend slightly more on an antistatic paper/plastic vented sieve is really puzzling as these heavy vinyl pressings are not cheap. So it went straight into a new `Goldring Exstatic' vented sieve for real protection and ease of release for playing.

The sound format of this album was to me similar to Free, solid percussion and bass, well-constructed, melodic guitar work and excellent vocals. A real `solid, together' sound. The drums and bass are really strong on this release and you hear and feel every hit/note, perfect vinyl sound.

I think this album was a very good opener and in my view the band got better with the next two albums: Straight Shooter and Running With The Pack. Hopefully we will get these re-released as well shortly. Strongly recommend this vinyl copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2015 1:28 PM BST

Made In Japan
Made In Japan
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in Japan Re-Mastered Edition CD & Vinyl 1998, 21 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Made In Japan (Audio CD)
The best live rock album ever released? If not then it must be very close. I have collected so many versions over the years and currently have remaining the original vinyl, re-mastered CD & vinyl versions and the expanded `Live in Japan' CD set. My treasured possession is the original 2LP vinyl set which is still sounding good after all the years. I was lucky enough to see them perform many of these tracks live in Feb 73 during the last UK tour before the MK2 version broke-up.

This re-mastered edition has three encore tracks included that were not on the original album. (two of which I understand have not been previously released). These three encore tracks clearly add further interest and enjoyment to the album, but their sound quality on both formats is not as good as the seven original tracks.

The original vinyl version has a wider dynamic sound range than the re-mastered vinyl version, which sounds compressed in comparison. The vinyl weight of this re-mastered version is 132g vs 120g of the original. This is one of the few occasions I prefer a re-mastered CD version over the equivalent re-mastered vinyl version (even as a real die hard vinyl freak) as overall it is much better in terms of cost/performance balance. I think the audio quality of this 1998 CD version is slightly better vs the same tracks on the `Live in Japan' CD recordings as it sounds sharper and clearer. If you want this album on vinyl my recommendation is to seek out a good quality second-hand original 1972 copy with the attractive gold coloured cover.

What makes Made in Japan still sound so good 37years after release? Well you had a very special band at their peak with five brilliant musicians capturing a live improvised energy that could not be heard to the same intensity on studio albums. It is really amazing it was recorded on very basic equipment. It is really `the very best of'' Deep Purple MK2 even more so on this edition with `Black Night' and `Speed King' added. It really stands the test of time. Sounding as fresh and alive today as it did back in 1972. Absolutely brilliant, just turn up the volume `louder than everything else' and enjoy.

Who's Next [VINYL]
Who's Next [VINYL]
Offered by M & L UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's Next Vinyl (2008 Edition), 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Who's Next [VINYL] (Vinyl)
`Pick up my vinyl and play, just like yesterday'

Have collected so many versions of this album over the years (CD & vinyl) as it is one of my favourite albums. Even after 38 years I still enjoy hearing it, a true sign of a timeless, classic album. I still have my original vinyl copy from 1971 on the Track label (total 122g weight pressing). I wanted a new vinyl version as I suspected after all the years playing it had lost significant audio quality. I first purchased the 2003 Deluxe Edition; re-mastered box set vinyl (3 discs) but was very disappointed and sent it back. It exhibited very high surface noise, several loud audible clicks and very poor sound quality for vinyl (certainly not recommended). The CD version is much better and recommended for the extra tracks available and excellent booklet.

This 2008 Polydor version is far superior in sound quality to the 2003 deluxe vinyl version. Pressed on 180g vinyl (this copy 186g total weight) and is part of the `Back to Black Vinyl' series. There is very little surface noise and the sound is very clear, and crisp. It is very difficult to believe the album was made back in 1971. A magnificent example of how vinyl should be re-issued. It just contains the original 9 tracks and is presented in a single sieve cover (identical to the 1971 version). The paper record sleeve has a plastic film inner cover and two corner vents. This is my favourite inner sleeve design for reducing the risk of damaging the disc when removing.

I always benchmark versions of this album by comparing the sound quality of the tracks: Baba O' Riley, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again. I think these three tracks test the audio performance of the recording really well. On the 2008 version they sound absolutely amazing. The synthesizer and violin on `Baba O' Riley' sound so fresh, vibrate and alive. The drum patterns are clear and intense pushing the song along perfectly. The bass and vocals give a perfect balance and depth to the song. The acoustic guitar during the intro to `Behind Blue Eyes' sounds so crisp and the dynamic range in the vocals is pure magic. The synthesizer break towards the end of `Won't Get Fool Again' really hits the high frequencies with intense detail, then the drums come thundering in with excellent stereo separation. It overall sounds very much better than my original vinyl version, which in fairness I conclude has lost audio performance with the extensive playing. If you still collect vinyl and you want to hear a real classic rock album in full, glorious audio quality then this is the version for you.

Stormbringer (Remaster Edition) [VINYL]
Stormbringer (Remaster Edition) [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep Purple: Stormbringer Remastered Vinyl, 11 Aug. 2009
`Yes, I can hear the sound of a windmill going round'

Still have my original LP version from 1974 on Purple Records (115g), a piece of typical flimsy 70s vinyl. Even remember buying it on release from the `Paperchase' basement store in Manchester. It was a shock first hearing the whole record because it was clearly a different direction compared to previous records. It was one of those albums that got better and better on playing with time. Was it really Deep Purple? Yes and no. Songs like Stormbringer, Lady Double Dealer -yes, Holy Man, Love Don't Mean a Thing-no very different. Overall I liked the LP and still do. Ok it was not my favourite Purple LP but I always thought the next MK 3 one would be better. Well the rest is now history.

Now 35 years on I purchased again the record with the same excitement hoping technology had pushed vinyl further on and I was very interested to hear the extra tracks on offer. The album packaging is certainly very much better. Well-made gate folded design with pictures of the band on first inner cover and very readable lyrics on the rest of the first inside cover and across the second inside cover. The record sleeves contain easy to view words and pictures from the sessions for the aging rock fan. Having two ca 200g weighted discs in the album makes it feel a really substantial package. Remembering back to the 70s taking half a dozen LPs under our arms to house parties would have required body building training with the weight of these remastered vinyls. It was disappointing to find the vinyl discs were not sent in the sleeves but free inside the middle of the gatefold cover between the sleeves, very strange. I am guessing they came from the manufacturer like this, as I cannot understand why any supplier would go to the extra effort to remove them from the sleeves. It clearly increased the risk of damage to the discs in the post.

Both my discs are not perfectly flat but my record deck arm can cope with the ripples at the edge of the records. The surface noise between tracks is noticeable but not unbearable and does not spoil any of the music on the tracks. Sound quality of the album is very reasonable but to me played back to back with the original, the sound seems more compressed and less bright. This is particularly noticeable on the vocals and on the last track, Soldier of Fortune it really stands out. The stereo remixes are interesting but for me not essential. They sound a bit like disco mixes in parts. I cannot comment on the quad mixes as I do not have a surround system connected into my HiFi. I very much like the High Ball Shooter instrumental, a great Purple trademark track and it works very well in this format.

In conclusion, I am a bit disappointed that 35 years on I am not blown away by the sound quality of this remastered vinyl set. I expected more. Ok vinyl technology may have peaked many years ago, the sound quality is certainly not bad and the music is still very enjoyable. However, I have been impressed by recent vinyl releases from Free, The Who and Black Sabbath. It makes me think Martin Birch et al must clearly have engineered this album very well the first time around making it very difficult to improve upon.

Fire And Water [VINYL]
Fire And Water [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Free: Fire & Water Special Edition 2009- Vinyl, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Fire And Water [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Very `All Right Now' A magnificent copy of a classic rock album.

I had the original vinyl LP back in the early 70s but unfortunately it became unplayable after extensive use. I have the original CD copy, which I have used for years but always considered it lack the sound quality of the vinyl version. Purchased the excellent remastered, Deluxe CD version last year. This is a vast improvement in sound quality vs the original CD.

I recently found the vinyl version had been released again by Island records as part of the `Back to Black Vinyl ` series which includes a free MP3 down load, which I have still not manage to down-load successfully. Not really a big issue when you have the vinyl copy.

This special edition vinyl contains the original seven LP tracks from 1970 on 180g vinyl (this copy weighs 186g). The quality of this pressing is absolutely excellent and Island records have done a fantastic job. Surface noise is minimal and the record is perfectly flat across the whole surface (not always the case even with 200g pressings). The record was factory sealed on arrival. The inner sleeve is my favourite paper with antistatic film with vents in the bottom corners to optimise the release of the vinyl reducing the risk of scratching the disc.

The record sounds so fresh and alive. The stereo separation is perfect and the bass and drums really stand out. It highlights that Andy Fraser and Simon Kirke made such an important contribution to the Free sound. The bass playing on `Mr Big' is unbelievable and it is disappointing that the track comes to an end The drumming on Fire and Water, Heavy Load and of course All Right Now are really some of the many highlights of this album. Lets not forget the consistently soulful, magic vocals of Paul Rogers and the intense guitar work of Paul Kossoff, true brilliance. Also like the use of the piano on Heavy Load, it really adds a special atmosphere to the track.

I am really glad that only the original seven tracks are on this single album. They have resisted the temptation to cram in extra tracks on a single album, which from my experience results in a loss in sound quality. In my view this is an excellent purchase as it captures the great sound quality of a major classic rock album played by a very talent group of musicians.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2012 3:31 PM BST

In Hearing Of
In Hearing Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Atomic Rooster: In Hearing Of: Expanded CD Deluxe Edition & Vinyl Version, 4 Aug. 2009
This review is from: In Hearing Of (Audio CD)
A real `Breakthrough'

I still have my original vinyl pressing from 1971 on the Pegasus label. Vinyl weight is a very reasonable 146g for a 70s LP. It is an excellent pressing and recording. The album is still in reasonable condition but some of the tracks are suffering from `severe over-playing fatigue'. Atomic Rooster were never as popular as the main stream rock bands at the time like Black Sabbath, Led Zep etc, but for me this was one further attraction of the band. They made excellent music and when we took records to house parties, people would always ask when playing In the Hearing of `who is this playing? It sounds great'. Without the Devil's Answer single on the album nobody recognised it was Atomic Rooster. I must have contributed to the sales of this album at the time.

I purchased the expanded CD version to give the vinyl a well deserved rest and I am also still very interested in any unreleased Rooster material available. In my view the CD does not match fully the sound quality of the original vinyl recording but ok I am very vinyl biased as you probably have guessed. However, the CD is still an excellent package with good sound quality and extremely informative notes in the accompanying booklet. The notes explain all the comings and goings in the band during the making of this album and there is extensive input by newly recruited vocalist, Peter French. The comments made about the 1971 concert at The Oval when they on the bill with The Who are particularly interesting.

This album does not seem to have aged technically, it sounds typical 70s but is still fresh and clear. The production and balance of the sound is excellent. All the instruments and vocals can be picked out very easily. Several of the tracks were used in the BBC TV series and DVD package of `Life on Mars'.

I have all the five Atomic Rooster albums from the early 70s and this one in my view is the best just ahead of `Death Walks Behind You'. All the eight original tracks in this album are consistently strong musically. Vincent Crane was a very under rated talent and this album proves that beyond doubt.

The extra tracks are interesting but not essential. It is explained in the booklet that this line up made no TV or radio appearances, a great pity. The US version of Devils Answer contains the Peter French vocals. The two live tracks are from this album but performed by the next line-up of the band. The booklet mentions a further extra track of Black Snake from a Belgian TV show but it is not on the CD I have. This is a great album and if you want to sample Atomic Rooster at their peak then this is the one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6